Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scholls22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Has anyone got the people album to work? Mine just says no people found yet...

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
Mine finally started showing people after about 5 or more hours of scanning my photos. I also noticed the phone got pretty warm and the battery drained a good amount. I wonder if the size of your photo library would also make it take longer.

krazyleb

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2015
Edmonton
Mine finally started showing people after about 5 or more hours of scanning my photos. I also noticed the phone got pretty warm and the battery drained a good amount. I wonder if the size of your photo library would also make it take longer.
Mine didn't scan properly till I left it alone over night. Woke up and it had scanned my whole library. I have about 3500 photos in there.
Face recognition is not as good as google. But it does allow you to merge photos once you start naming people. It's a little buggy and it crashed on me a few times but it does work.

Reactions: HansumKingtut

Kceb83

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2011
Mine finished and quite frankly I was disappointed with its facial recognition. It had soooo many faces that it thought were different people when they were the same people. What is worse is it doesn't sync with the faces on the new Mac OS photos app. Google photos still appears to be way ahead of the game here still. Google knew pictures of my 7 year old son all the way back to his birth, like 800 photos worth. Creepy it figured that out but also very impressive. Apple though only found like 120 photos of my son going back at most one year before it thinks his younger version is someone else.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mine finished and quite frankly I was disappointed with its facial recognition. It had soooo many faces that it thought were different people when they were the same people. What is worse is it doesn't sync with the faces on the new Mac OS photos app. Google photos still appears to be way ahead of the game here still. Google knew pictures of my 7 year old son all the way back to his birth, like 800 photos worth. Creepy it figured that out but also very impressive. Apple though only found like 120 photos of my son going back at most one year before it thinks his younger version is someone else.

People/face sync is going to be enabled in a later build. It's turned off at the moment (it's in the macOS Sierra release notes.)

Reactions: gerwitz and Kceb83

Kceb83

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2011
People/face sync is going to be enabled in a later build. It's turned off at the moment (it's in the macOS Sierra release notes.)
That is good to know. They still need to work on their facial recognition though. There are literally hundreds of photos of my kids that it thinks are different people.

Reactions: JerTheGeek

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That is good to know. They still need to work on their facial recognition though. There are literally hundreds of photos of my kids that it thinks are different people.

I'm sure it's not fully implemented yet. Or if it will get tweaks along the way in this beta cycle.

I can't even get Memories to work. Scan failed when I first launched Photos and now always says "No Memories" with no way to rescan. This is on all my devices. (iPhone, iPad 4, iPad Pro 12.9" and iMac)

Kceb83

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2011
I'm sure it's not fully implemented yet. Or if it will get tweaks along the way in this beta cycle.

I can't even get Memories to work. Scan failed when I first launched Photos and now always says "No Memories" with no way to rescan. This is on all my devices. (iPhone, iPad 4, iPad Pro 12.9" and iMac)
I hope that is the case. I really like Apple's privacy aspect so hoping it becomes as good as Google photos. Until then gonna stick with Google for the time being.

hydr

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009

What do you think will happen with Libraries who have a ton of Faces tagged? My Library is complete with every single picture having everyone tagged into Faces. You think the way Apple chose to implement this will clutter this or not? I´m not sure, hope it won´t clutter it up. :)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Does iOS 10 provide a way to turn off this analysis? I'd rather this not run on my phone wasting battery and would prefer my desktop to do this gruntwork.

Especially with 19,000 photos I can see this taking a long time.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Does iOS 10 provide a way to turn off this analysis? I'd rather this not run on my phone wasting battery and would prefer my desktop to do this gruntwork.

Especially with 19,000 photos I can see this taking a long time.

I can't find any option to turn it off or even re-scan. But we're using a very unfinished/extremely early build, so all that could change over the next 2-4 builds.

mark-vdw

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013

I wonder why iOS uses "People" while macOS uses "Faces". Guess it would have been too logical for them to update the apps at the same time so that people who are invested in the ecosystem get a consistent experience? Sigh.

I hate how Apple completely changes its mind about the basic structure of certain apps every other year, and never gets to the point where things are stable and consistent across the ecosystem. The photos app has suffered from this in the worst way, with Events, Moments, and now Memories.

Last edited:

mooretuba

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2016
Atlanta, GA USA
I wonder why iOS uses "People" while macOS uses "Faces". Guess it would have been too logical for them to update the apps at the same time so that people who are invested in the ecosystem get a consistent experience? Sigh.

I hate how Apple completely changes its mind about the basic structure of certain apps every other year, and never gets to the point where things are stable and consistent across the ecosystem. The photos app has suffered from this in the worst way, with Events, Moments, and now Memories.

In the latest builild, they changed it to "People" to be consistent with IOS.
But it still doesn't work right- VERY processor exhausting. My Memories only gave me two sets of memories over the past 8 years of pictures. And you're right- there's no way to either halt a scan or rescan with anything in the new Photos app. Even now with the GM.

theKD80

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
Is it possible they changed the option to "untag" or remove a face of a wrong person. I tapped on the share icon on the misidentified person and I don't see the "Not this person" option. Am I missing something?

mark-vdw

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
Is it possible they changed the option to "untag" or remove a face of a wrong person. I tapped on the share icon on the misidentified person and I don't see the "Not this person" option. Am I missing something?
It's there somewhere, if I remember well it's hidden under the "share" button for whatever reason. They're definitely getting more and more sloppy about which functionality is hidden behind which button.

wbrat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
It's there somewhere, if I remember well it's hidden under the "share" button for whatever reason. They're definitely getting more and more sloppy about which functionality is hidden behind which button.

Yes, this is hidden. On iPhone you have to enter into person's page, tap "select" on the top right (sorry if its name is different than "select" - I'm translating it from other language), then tap "show faces" at the bottom (or whatever it is named in English ;)), select the face you want to get rid off, then click share button at the bottom and from there you can mark that face as not properly assigned to a person. Easy, right? ;)

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

mark-vdw

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
Yes, this is hidden. On iPhone you have to enter into person's page, tap "select" on the top right (sorry if its name is different than "select" - I'm translating it from other language), then tap "show faces" at the bottom (or whatever it is named in English ;)), select the face you want to get rid off, then click share button at the bottom and from there you can mark that face as not properly assigned to a person. Easy, right? ;)
Same thing with the "Markup" feature in Photos, you have to press "more" to find the "Markup" button, which then weirdly swoops a different but almost identical looking screen over the current screen. The drawing features in Messages are also awkwardly replacing the dark-on-light color scheme of the main Messages app by a light-on-dark scheme for no apparent reasons. It's like they had on the one hand a bunch of people who wanted to add more functionality to these apps, and on the other hand a Simplicity police who refused to add any buttons to the top-level screens of these apps, and the end result is just weird sequences of where to click to get to what functionality.

Ben1980

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
Does anyone know if the People tags will eventually sync over to the Photos app on MAC?

The iPhone has now scanned over 19000 photos and I agree with others above that its not very good at grouping the same person.

Given the phone is showing optimised versions of the icloud photos, surely syncing to the photos app is coming as I really dont want to do this twice.

Thanks

wbrat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Does anyone know if the People tags will eventually sync over to the Photos app on MAC?

The iPhone has now scanned over 19000 photos and I agree with others above that its not very good at grouping the same person.

Given the phone is showing optimised versions of the icloud photos, surely syncing to the photos app is coming as I really dont want to do this twice.

Thanks

Or even more, if you also have an iPad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.