Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Mine finally started showing people after about 5 or more hours of scanning my photos. I also noticed the phone got pretty warm and the battery drained a good amount. I wonder if the size of your photo library would also make it take longer.

The battery drain shouldn't be a result of the scanning, as it's only supposed to process when connected to power.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
So all this scanning to produce memories and tagging people's faces ... are these backup to icloud photo .. or do we have to scan again and recreate memories everytime I do a reset of my phone or get a new phone ?

mark-vdw

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
Does anyone know if the People tags will eventually sync over to the Photos app on MAC?

The iPhone has now scanned over 19000 photos and I agree with others above that its not very good at grouping the same person.

Given the phone is showing optimised versions of the icloud photos, surely syncing to the photos app is coming as I really dont want to do this twice.

Thanks

It won't sync in the current versions of iOS / macOS. Faces are scanned per device, and are not synced through iCloud. Apple has publicly stated that they do plan to add this "in the future", but whether that means iOS 10.1 or iOS 11 is anyone's guess at this point.

Most people seem to have decided to either not bother for now, or just pick 1 device as the one where they get the faces right, and hope it will sync from there to the rest when Apple has solved the cloud syncing problem.

wbrat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
It won't sync in the current versions of iOS / macOS. Faces are scanned per device, and are not synced through iCloud. Apple has publicly stated that they do plan to add this "in the future", but whether that means iOS 10.1 or iOS 11 is anyone's guess at this point.

Most people seem to have decided to either not bother for now, or just pick 1 device as the one where they get the faces right, and hope it will sync from there to the rest when Apple has solved the cloud syncing problem.

It shows that they released unfinished product. The other feature that is missing in my opinion is the possibility to use face recognition results when assigning pictures to your contacts - I was quite surprised that it doesn't work like that, even if you selected the name for recognized person from the address book.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Any way to make Photos write names to the files in keywords? Or to avoid endless "merge" boxes since it doesn't seem to recognize that the sames are the same person as those already ID'D?

Ben1980

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
Well I have just upgraded to a new device and all the work merging and identifying 'people' has reset.

FFS Apple!

Banich2

Suspended
Apr 21, 2015
San Francisco, California
It shows that they released unfinished product. The other feature that is missing in my opinion is the possibility to use face recognition results when assigning pictures to your contacts - I was quite surprised that it doesn't work like that, even if you selected the name for recognized person from the address book.
I agree!!! Also, I feel like there should be a link to their photos from their contact card
[doublepost=1512674441][/doublepost]
Well I have just upgraded to a new device and all the work merging and identifying 'people' has reset.

FFS Apple!
Did you not back it up or use iCloud Photo Library?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.