Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Several sites are reporting on a premature press release posted by Adobe on their website about Photoshop CS2, set to be announced on April 4th, 2005.

The press release is still available in Google's cache.
Update 1: cache removed
Update 2: member evilernie has provided a copy.

The press release details various improvements. Photoshop CS2 will start shipping in late May/early June for $599.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
never quite know what to do with this sort of thing.... it doesn't seem all that interesting... so I don't post it... then as more other sites post it, it gets submitted more.

anyhow... here it is...

arn

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
Yes, but will it run on Tiger (OSX.4)? NO! IT WON'T!!! (Just kidding, but... )

Look at the folliwing two points:

A) Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Mac OS X version 10.2.8 through 10.3.8,...
B) ...will begin shipping in May to customers in the United States and Canada,..

OK. So maybe Adobe doesn't know the release date of Tiger, but surely they know that 10.3.9 is imminent AND knows that CS2 will run on 10.4. So why not just say so anyway?

Crimony creepers, folks...

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
Jodeo said:
Look at the folliwing two points:

A) Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Mac OS X version 10.2.8 through 10.3.8,...
B) ...will begin shipping in May to customers in the United States and Canada,..

OK. So maybe Adobe doesn't know the release date of Tiger, but surely they know that 10.3.9 is imminent AND knows that CS2 will run on 10.4. So why not just say so anyway?

Crimony creepers, folks...

yeah but if they put 10.4 then we'd be talking about how this is further indication that Tiger will be released next week :rolleyes:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
kwajo.com said:
yeah but if they put 10.4 then we'd be talking about how this is further indication that Tiger will be released next week :rolleyes:

What? Tiger's going to be released next week? (Tuesday?) :eek: :D

Daringescape

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
CA
I've been waiting for this!

I got a chance to see some of CS2's features at photoshop world in Vegas a couple of weeks ago, and it is going to be HUGE! there are some really sweet features.

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Powerbook dual-core G5s with Cell processors and built-in TiVo box and iPod dock shipping with Tiger and Photoshop CS2 this Tuesday!!

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
As usual, Adobe comes out with an upgrade just before a major OS is going to be released instead of waiting.

I never upgrade to Adobe products until several months later because their software is always full of bugs and it takes months for them to release fixes, if they release any fixes at all.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Is this good timing on Adobe's part, what with Tiger coming out in the near future? Should they not wait and take advantage of Tiger's improvements? If CS2 isn't "optimized" for Tiger, then that doesn't give much incentive to OS X users who want to buy the new suite, if they're moving to Tiger in the near future.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
the 4th is next monday, so maybe Apple will do a 1-2 punch on their front page with Tiger and CS2? Both shipping in may. Would be a good gimmic.

I'm waiting on the imac upgrade and see if Tiger ships with it. Both CS2 and Tiger are going to be infinitely useful to me.

aftk2

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Pacific NW
bigbossbmb said:
with tiger coming soon, an updating photoshop just seems like the obvious move because of tiger's core image feature

Can they make use of it? I'm not a Mac developer, but maybe someone who is could clue me in: is Core Image easy to use in Carbon, or is this a Cocoa-only type of thing? I doubt that Photoshop will be rewritten any time soon.

I'm also very interested in Photoshop CS2 - someone mentioned elsewhere that they'll be introducing layer filters, which sounds very, very cool (the lack of which I was whining about the other day.)

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Perhaps this Friday a formal announcement will be made according to the prior rumor of an announcement on April 1st. I want to hear about Tiger and Photoshop on Friday. I am tired of waiting. Photoshop C2 2 better take advantage of Core Image.

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
sw1tcher said:
Wonder if it'll be time to finally upgrade from Photoshop 7?
LoL... that depends on if this is another "let's throw a couple minor features in it and call it a major update" release (like PS CS [8], which my fiance -- an artist and graphic designer -- has refused to purchase since it's essentially a rebranded PS 7).

And why, why, why must we make these needlessly complex versioning systems? Why not Photoshop 9? Is that really so complicated?! (Macromedia, Microsoft, and even Apple are all equally guilty of this.)

Regardless, I hope this is a good upgrade. My fiance and I both use PS all the time, and improvements are always welcome (provided there are enough of them to justify the cost).

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
No Core Image acceleration?

I wish I could remember where (ThinkSecret?) but some site in recent months said that they were told the next Photoshop would NOT support Core Image.

Still, I expect some future update will. Maybe CS3, or maybe a free patch for CS2 (fingers crossed).

With or without CI, it looks like very soon I'll be running Tiger AND upgrading Photoshop 7 to CS2 :)

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
MontyZ said:
As usual, Adobe comes out with an upgrade just before a major OS is going to be released instead of waiting.

What do you mean? Longhorn is at least a year away :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
nagromme said:
I wish I could remember where (ThinkSecret?) but some site in recent months said that they were told the next Photoshop would NOT support Core Image.

Still, I expect some future update will. Maybe CS3, or maybe a free patch for CS2 (fingers crossed).

With or without CI, it looks like very soon I'll be running Tiger AND upgrading Photoshop 7 to CS2 :)

Adobe has said that they will not be taking advantage of CI in Tiger, its a shame really but not much we can do about it, i guess they are not because it isnt a feature on Windows, so it would have to be specially done for the Mac release....whatever

recursivejon

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2004
New York
What's the deal with this new versioning scheme? It doesn't make any sense now. I understand them wanting to change it, just like Macromedia. But in Macromedia's case, they switched over to a year versioning scheme MX, MX 2004, MX 2005. Straying away from a decimal system.

But with Photoshop CS and then CS2? Doesn't this just negate changing it from something like Photoshop 9 or 10?

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
kwajo.com said:

Exactly. Why would Adobe not just wait? They've certainly got access to builds of 10.4. Why not wait?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
New/Improved Photoshop features mentioned in the press release:

* Enhanced Spot Healing Brush
* Smart Objects
* Non-destructive editing of 32-Bit High Dynamic Range images
* Vanishing Point
* Image Warping
* Adobe Bridge
* Access to Adobe Stock Photos
* Camera Raw 3.0 workflow
* Event-based scripts
* Multiple Layer Controls

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
well I dont really care about photoshop that much.. I use it everyday but I dont need anything more.. its pretty good as is.

But if Photoshop is being released on the 4th well that prob mean the entire Creative Suite is ..so New versions of Illustrator and indesign! :) YES!

b-randomly

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2004
Ithaca, NY
Creative Suite 2?

So this is getting released with CS2? Interesting...

Anybody for a guess of how much the edu. versions of the software will cost? Or should I bite the bullet on CS now?

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
recursivejon said:
What's the deal with this new versioning scheme? It doesn't make any sense now. I understand them wanting to change it, just like Macromedia. But in Macromedia's case, they switched over to a year versioning scheme MX, MX 2004, MX 2005. Straying away from a decimal system.

But with Photoshop CS and then CS2? Doesn't this just negate changing it from something like Photoshop 9 or 10?

And as with MX->MX2004, it was just a few new features thrown in there, not deserving of the equivalent of a full revision increment. Still crappy FTP, for example. Too much feature bloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.