Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
stephenli said:
comeon! where is my illustrator CS2?!
where is InDesign CS2?!
I prefer buying package to a single software $$$

pls~~~~pls release together with ill / InDesign / GoLive....
otherwise who will upgrade?!
Photoshop CS is stable (at least it never Quit itself...)

Well if you read the report, you would know that it would release the whole SUITE not just PS ;)

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
They'll probably release it next week.

Also, I'm thinking that Adobe Streamline (which has not been updated for several years, and apparently isn't OS X native ) will be discontinued, as TS originally reported earlier that a future release of Illustrator would include Streamline style features.

mkwilson68

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2003
No competition

The main issue here is that there is no serious competition any more, so there is little need to innovate beyond upgrade sales - that's never going to lead to real innovation unfortunately.

The only competitor is Macromedia - we use Fireworks for all our web design layouts now, and hardly ever need PS (although we own it as part of the CS suite). The problem is they are both good at different things - PS is a nightmare for object-oriented stuff, and Fireworks lacks the heavyweight image editing tools. Sadly, both are made by companies who focus on x-platform issue first and foremost (note Macromedia's use of the crappy Opera rendering engine in Dreamweaver instead of using WebKit). And as Macromedia's s/w is far from reliable, Adobe have an effective monopoly.

And we all know where monopolies lead...

Someone needs to stir up this space a little - an Omni-like developer who uses Mac technologies like CI to do something innovative and special. Here's hoping.

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Live Picture

mkwilson68 said:
Someone needs to stir up this space a little - an Omni-like developer who uses Mac technologies like CI to do something innovative and special. Here's hoping.

I understand that Live Picture had many features that professionals would appreciate and current Photoshop still lacks; speed, resolution independent brushes and gradients, image distortion, large file manipulation (FITS), multiple size outputs, etc. I wish I had a chance to be familiar with the software, which has been dead for years. I read somewhere that it had some quirks, but I wonder why it simply lost to Photoshop. I don't think marketing alone made the difference. Anyway, I hope a new developer will take on Photoshop, too.

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Press Release

Someone emailed it to me as a pdf. I've converted to .gif (in PS 7!)

Attachments

• Adobe1.gif
    Adobe1.gif
    36.2 KB · Views: 713
  • Adobe2.gif
    Adobe2.gif
    35.1 KB · Views: 510

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
evilernie said:
Someone emailed it to me as a pdf. I've converted to .gif (in PS 7!)

I'm really surprised that Adobe doesn't mention comparability with Tiger. Chances are they have a developers copy of Tiger. The upgrade price of $149 sounds like a good deal.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I'm waiting for expanded support of HDV and HD imaging optiions in Photoshop CS2. Illustrator, I could care less for. Illustrator becomes more and more cluttered and bloated as each new version is released.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Tiger is not being sold

wdlove said:
I'm really surprised that Adobe doesn't mention comparability with Tiger. Chances are they have a developers copy of Tiger.

Not surprising at all.

Not only would it violate the NDA that covers the Adobe copies of Tiger, but 10.4 could change at the last minute and cause an incompatibility.

It would be rather irresponsible for Adobe to claim compatibility with a product that isn't shipping, hasn't been finished, and doesn't even have an announced availability date.

b-randomly

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2004
Ithaca, NY
mchendricks said:
You can buy the edu version now and later upgrade(buy) a later full version. I'm going to upgrade from edu Print Collection with PS6 to a full version of CS2. I spoke with Adobe before and they said that the upgrade price would be the same as if I had a full version of PS 6. This might help take the sting out of the high price if you are without any legal version now.

Mike

That sort of helps. What I was really trying to debate was how much more it would cost to upgrade from CS to CS2, if I were to get CS now, and they'll be releasing 2 in a couple of months. I mean edu version is around 400usd, but who knows how much it'd be to upgrade? I thought I read 199, but isn't that just upgrade from CS?

But seriously, to finally get serious about my line of work and get legal software would be awesome. Thank god for edu pricing.

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
*very* interesting.... thanks for the update. Time to hold off on a purchase if you are considering it at the moment...

or if you've figured out every feature in photoshop, and are just waiting for more =x

FrancisSawyer

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2004
They need Photoshop LS: Less ******

Come on, these guys didn't even support 16-bit files until what, last year? And it was version 7 before added a thumbnail browser, which is inferior to what shareware programs offered in the mid '90s.

And then there's the continuing lack of a "paste as new image" function, no right-clicking to zoom out, blah blah blah.

And the pathetic UI. It looked like they finally abandoned the hated floating windows, but NOPE: drag the main window, and the palettes all get left behind.

Unbelievable.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
FrancisSawyer said:
Come on, these guys didn't even support 16-bit files until what, last year? And it was version 7 before added a thumbnail browser, which is inferior to what shareware programs offered in the mid '90s.

And then there's the continuing lack of a "paste as new image" function, no right-clicking to zoom out, blah blah blah.

And the pathetic UI. It looked like they finally abandoned the hated floating windows, but NOPE: drag the main window, and the palettes all get left behind.

Unbelievable.

looks like i got to this thread late and wasnt going to post until i read the above statement.

ive used photoshop for more than twenty years. its very good and served the industry well. lets give credit where its due.

i would like to see major improvements or a different solution just for shites and giggles. however your last statement....well thats a work flow preference. i wouldnt want my palettes to move with the window. if PS did that i would say it sucked.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
beatle888 said:
ive used photoshop for more than twenty years.

Considering Photoshop 1.0 was released in February 1990, excuse me if I find that claim a little far-fetched.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Blue Velvet said:
Considering Photoshop 1.0 was released in February 1990, excuse me if I find that claim a little far-fetched.

You never cease to amaze me. Nothing gets by your critical eye. Just the reason why I always like to read your comments. ;)

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Blue Velvet said:

oh. :) not trying to make false claims. i THOUGHT remembered being twenty two when i convinced the art department to go with computers instead of the traditional paste up/film stripping and stat camera routine.

lets see....what was it then...i GUESS (again) 3.0 or 4.0.

but still. let me just say that since layers nothing really shocking has happened. i remember i wouldnt even go near the layer effects cause i thought it a weakness since you could get the same and more custom results using channels and all. the channel mixer is super cool though.

anyway. my point is that no one really needs to upgrade. they just try to make things easier to do most of the time. and on rare occasion they add a must have to keep up with the industry.

sambo.

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
outback, far from the surf
sw1tcher said:
Wonder if it'll be time to finally upgrade from Photoshop 7?
i wonder if it's time to upgrade from PS5.0, Ill 7.0 and pagemucker 6.5? :eek:

PS1.0? man, that was sooo long ago. i remember 3.0 as being such a leap. can't wait to get ps cs 2.... :D

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
I can honestly claim to have used MacPaint and MacWrite quite a lot, definitely was no Photoshop around then. Kind of dates me though...I'd say middle to late Triassic period... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.