Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm going to knock around with Camera+ a bit over the next few days. It has a number of additional controls, lots of manual override, some OSD for ISO and other parameters so you're not shooting totally blind (in terms of settings). To be honest, I kind of forget about it since the stock camera app is so integrated into the OS.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
1C8F9CD9-19E8-454C-887E-2283575274AA.jpeg

A6F024D0-5749-4ECB-B4C6-A7AC35B7552E.jpeg

8800EA68-BCA3-43D2-8BE5-0FCF9B7A53E7.jpeg

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Does zooming increase noise in cameras? I’ve always noticed mine don’t look very good at all, especially when zooming.

This one zoomed at 10x. See how blurry it is?
Zoom on a phone camera is all but worthless. X, 8+, 7+...

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
Artificial bokeh cannot replicate the gradient that a real DSLR focus will give. It has a large drop off where you either have in focus or out of focus. Similar to taking pictures with a full frame DSLR in 1.2 or 1.4 F stop. It would work well except artificial bokeh allows the whole main subject to be in focus and then there is a drastic drop off in focus which is not what a DSLR would show.

Reactions: pakupakuman

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
My favorites since launch day.

View attachment 737061
MERCEDES - Native camera app portrait mode + post in VSCO

View attachment 737060
SPIKES - Native camera app portrait mode + post with Focos app

View attachment 737058
DRIVEN - Native camera app portrait mode + Focos Pro for depth map editing and VSCO for grain and BW toning

View attachment 737056 DOG - Native camera app portrait mode, Focos for depthmap edit and VSCO for post

View attachment 737057 FRIENDS - Native camera app portrait mode, straight out of camera

View attachment 737059
MOTORCYCLE - Native camera app portrait mode, straight out of camera

Pretty powerful tool we've got in our pockets these days. Focos allows me to simulate more organic bokeh from certain vintage lenses that I typically shoot with when I have my real stuff with me, real game changer in my opinion.

Things aren't perfect, but most of the time it allows me to get a compelling shot that 99% will not fault for a small bit of depth inconsistency, without having my camera on me. One thing to note is the system will likely never be amazing at certain types of shots, and as the photographer you learn your tool's limitations. Using it for flower macro with branches and leaves jutting everywhere against a complex background is going to outsmart it every time, but you'd likely get a bokeh-filled shot on your own without portrait mode in this case. Just shoot with the 2x lens as tight as you can or very close with the wide - the lenses both will create great natural bokeh for small subjects.
The color and fine noise in that Mercedes shot looks so good. Picture just looks right.

Reactions: PeLaNo

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Well I don't need any better than these photos. I've had my X just on a week and haven't had any worth while photos to show. I do know the X is a great iPhone and will be a keeper as I like the X size better than my 6s plus I had previous. I use my iPad 12" pro for any bigger requirements and use it on construction sites for looking up construction plans. I enjoy using Apple's pencil for measurement work.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Artificial bokeh cannot replicate the gradient that a real DSLR focus will give. It has a large drop off where you either have in focus or out of focus. Similar to taking pictures with a full frame DSLR in 1.2 or 1.4 F stop. It would work well except artificial bokeh allows the whole main subject to be in focus and then there is a drastic drop off in focus which is not what a DSLR would show.

Do apps like focos allow you to make that drop off more gradual? I like being able to edit the amount and look of the blur but haven't experimented with adjusting depth of field yet

Would also like an app that lets you edit the depth map so you can mask in/out areas that might be badly defined from the original photo

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Do apps like focos allow you to make that drop off more gradual? I like being able to edit the amount and look of the blur but haven't experimented with adjusting depth of field yet

Would also like an app that lets you edit the depth map so you can mask in/out areas that might be badly defined from the original photo

Focos (with the pro purchase) lets you adjust the start/end point and which slices are affected by both the front and back bokeh. It also lets you simulate different styles of bokeh and different aperture diaphragm shapes (like, you can get the triangular bokeh from the legendary Zeiss B Speeds, or just simulate different aperture positions on a traditional lens. Biggest benefit for me the swirl, dust, decay, bilinear, and corrosion settings that make it easy to squeeze the most organic looking depth of field rendering instead of relying on the predetermined stock blur.

It doesn't let you modify the depth map / mask in and out because I think it's a lot more complex than that. I'm still holding out hope for an app that can manually fine tune edges and stuff, but if you take a photo in Focos and go into the "EFFECT" tab, pull the perspective slider around and see just how many layers of depth are available nowawadays. I believe when the 7 Plus launched they boasted being able to find 9 slices of depth - now it looks like hundreds and hundreds.

I've saved poorly defined hair edges and stuff by simply adjusting which slice the blur begins at in Focos, though. The shot I posted earlier of the dog peeking out the van window originally mis-blurred the hair around his head. I nudged the start point a few slices forward and back until it solved the issue. YMMV.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
My favorites since launch day.

View attachment 737061
MERCEDES - Native camera app portrait mode + post in VSCO

View attachment 737060
SPIKES - Native camera app portrait mode + post with Focos app

View attachment 737058
DRIVEN - Native camera app portrait mode + Focos Pro for depth map editing and VSCO for grain and BW toning

View attachment 737056 DOG - Native camera app portrait mode, Focos for depthmap edit and VSCO for post

View attachment 737057 FRIENDS - Native camera app portrait mode, straight out of camera

View attachment 737059
MOTORCYCLE - Native camera app portrait mode, straight out of camera

Pretty powerful tool we've got in our pockets these days. Focos allows me to simulate more organic bokeh from certain vintage lenses that I typically shoot with when I have my real stuff with me, real game changer in my opinion.

Things aren't perfect, but most of the time it allows me to get a compelling shot that 99% will not fault for a small bit of depth inconsistency, without having my camera on me. One thing to note is the system will likely never be amazing at certain types of shots, and as the photographer you learn your tool's limitations. Using it for flower macro with branches and leaves jutting everywhere against a complex background is going to outsmart it every time, but you'd likely get a bokeh-filled shot on your own without portrait mode in this case. Just shoot with the 2x lens as tight as you can or very close with the wide - the lenses both will create great natural bokeh for small subjects.

Off topic but I’m looking to purchase that Mercedes in that same color this week. Crazy.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Subscribed for knowledge. I'm having a hard time getting portrait to focus on the main subject at times. It looks in focus on the display then the camera snaps and it blurs the main subject instead of the background.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Funny; I didn’t immediately notice how bad the edge of the glasses was. I have another shot of him straight on that looks much better.

try the app called 'focos' - it lets you edit the depth map to push the blur back a few layers. Won't always work, but if you're lucky you'll be able to bring those glasses back into focus.

I wish focos worked well on ipad. On my 10.5 pro it isn't usable, and for photo editing the larger the screen the better really.

edit: cross posting from another thread in case it is helpful:

I'd like to experiment more with portrait mode. apps like focos and anamorphic let you see the different depth layers and adjust the amount of blur and even depth of field. Curious how flexible it can be vs proper DoF on a DSLR

Example - shot at a monument near the tower of London last week. This was originally one photos, but using focos to change the focus point when editing the photo. Because the original is artificially blurring the background, the original photo has detail in the background and depth information from comparing the wide and telephoto images - using focos you can see the 'slices' from foreground to background.

You can also adjust the strength of the blur, and the depth of field. I increased the blur to help illustrate the selective focus.
focos3.jpeg focos2.jpeg focos1.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.