Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Another abbey, another beer !
Tongerlo Blonde looks and tastes amberish. But I'm not complaining.
(well, except perhaps for the fact that I didn't choose to become a monk) ?

IMG_1238.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Another abbey, another beer !
Tongerlo Blonde looks and tastes amberish. But I'm not complaining.
(well, except perhaps for the fact that I didn't choose to become a monk) ?

View attachment 896730

Beautiful glass; what is the Abbey, and - while you say the beer tastes "amberish", what is it really like in terms of a classic Belgian abbey ale?

Looks amazing, and I trust that you will enjoy it.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
The abbey is located in Tongerlo.
There' a long history about the abbey and its beer. If I'm not mistaken, the Haacht brewery has a license to produce the beer (or at least had at a certain point in time).

Back to the blonde...
It does not have the complexity of a tripel. It's light (6°), and goes well with a cheese dish according to many. But, with refermentation in the bottle, the taste is quite rich and above all smooth (which is what I meant earlier with "amberish").

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The abbey is located in Tongerlo.
There' a long history about the abbey and its beer. If I'm not mistaken, the Haacht brewery has a license to produce the beer (or at least had at a certain point in time).

Back to the blonde...
It does not have the complexity of a tripel. It's light (6°), and goes well with a cheese dish according to many. But, with refermentation in the bottle, the taste is quite rich and above all smooth (which is what I meant earlier with "amberish").

A beer that flatters and complements cheese; excellent. And smoothness win a beverage is a quality that I rate highly, irrespective of whether that is in wines, beers, ports, cognacs, or even whiskies.

Thanks for the links. Much appreciated.

Reactions: GerritV

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
We had ourselves a Grolsch at lunch today.
Nothing too special, but I do remember their slogan from many years ago "Vakmanschap is Meesterschap" (google translated as "Craftsmanship is Mastery"). Their advertisements always had some nice imagery of craftsmen in action.
I guess part of that spirit is still showing in their quite authentic bottle cap ;-)

IMG_1239.JPG

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
We had ourselves a Grolsch at lunch today.
Nothing too special, but I do remember their slogan from many years ago "Vakmanschap is Meesterschap" (google translated as "Craftsmanship is Mastery"). Their advertisements always had some nice imagery of craftsmen in action.
I guess part of that spirit is still showing in their quite authentic bottle cap ;-)

View attachment 896901

Yes, I remember when I first came across that charming bottle (and that cap) as a student, and how wildly impressed I was by it.

Reactions: GerritV

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Does someone knows the trappist beer of Westvleteren? Brewed by monks.

I know of it (and am very well acquainted with the splendid beers brewed by both Trappistes Rochefort and St Bernardus) but have yet to make the celebrated acquaintance of this legendary beer.

Look for the Sint-Sixtusabdij, abbey of Sint-Sixtus.

Shall bear that in mind; thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: pachyderm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.