Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

getthesand0ut

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
372AF9E6-9FBF-4BA8-9E7C-58D12E633482.png

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
...been spending a lot of time on this old Dyno over the past couple of months.
Ha! I keep saying to myself, I need to take a pic of the old Dyno I've been riding lately. It's the bike I've spent the most time on the past two years, riding around my neighborhood and following my daughter as she masters her balance bike. My wife jokes about the biker gang of 12 year olds I've joined. But I love it.

Reactions: Digger148

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
My new day to day ride...... Been cycling for over 60 years, since self taught (copied mates) as a 7 year-old kid. Have usually owned or had the use of a bicycle most of those years, but bikeless for the past 18 months since I returned to home to NZ late 2019. Got into a situation to be able to put that to right recently I acquired this Trek FX2, and for the first time a helmet, legally required to be worn on a bicycle in NZ nowadays.

Trek FX2 by the Waikato.png

Along with many other products, bicycles have been quite scarce in NZ in these COVID disrupted days. I was lucky to get hold of one of the last three FX2s available in the country with a medium sized frame, which Evo Cycles ordered in for me.

A few firsts on this bicycle for me.

Made of aluminium, it does not absorb vibration from coarse tar seal used on many NZ roads compared to the high tensile steel frames I am more familiar with. Fortunately, now there are many more smooth concrete or asphalt bicycle tracks now, on which it works well.

I liked the cantilever brakes working on the rim of my last bicycle, but got through 2 or 3 sets of brake pads a year... and wore through rims after several years. The Trek's hydraulic disc brakes work at least as well, and should require less maintenance.

With 24 gears, it has more than twice the number I have ever had available to me, but more suited to the more hilly terrain where I am at now. Just six gears on the $150 Chinese cheapie I had for 16 years in Phuket (replaced every moving part at least once) and three speed Sturmey Archer hubs on the bikes I had in UK (7 years, off and on) and Japan (2 years) were OK for the relatively flat terrain where I lived there.

Most bicycles I have owned, borrowed or rented over the past 25 years or so have have a basket on the front, a practical feature I came to appreciate. Also a motorcyclist, I feel the vehicle should carry any load, not my shoulders. With front carriers hard to come by at present, and suitable baskets even more scarce, I found a crate woven from water hyacinth (a serious weed in some waterways in SE Asia), which I have bungied on the rear carrier. It works well for my needs, and does not interfere with mounting, so I will probably attach it more permanently.

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I'm going to pull the Bruce Gordon from commuting duty, I simply worry to much about it getting banged up so last week I built up a 2021 Surly Cross Check frame with leftover parts.

CrossCheckFront.jpg
CrossCheckRear.jpg
CrossCheckRear3rd.jpg
CrossCheckSide.jpg

I also ordered a 3d printed AirTag holder that mounts under the bottle cage which should add a layer of protection

Reactions: finbred

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
finally got our tandem named. it is a beast when your not riding it or when I ride it by myself. but he seems a happy beast when we are riding.
IMG_3300.jpeg
IMG_3301.jpeg

Reactions: lowendlinux

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I haven't been in this topic for such a long time:

This bike is very special (and not available anymore):

i-rvh4t6S-X4.jpg

In alloy-wheel form, which I use when I'm in the mountains overseas and don't want to worry about carbon wheels and special brake pads:
i-MRJktQb-X3.jpg

There was another one like mine there too (we got photos of the two Evos together). And there was also a CF EVO SL (the uber-light version) there but we didn't manage to find it to get all three bikes together.

My other one:
i-4pmjrzX-X3.jpg

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
I haven't been in this topic for such a long time:

This bike is very special (and not available anymore):

i-rvh4t6S-X4.jpg

In alloy-wheel form, which I use when I'm in the mountains overseas and don't want to worry about carbon wheels and special brake pads:
i-MRJktQb-X3.jpg

There was another one like mine there too (we got photos of the two Evos together). And there was also a CF EVO SL (the uber-light version) there but we didn't manage to find it to get all three bikes together.

My other one:
i-4pmjrzX-X3.jpg
that's some big boy bikes!

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Whats folks seeing for Trek FX’s right now?
New tyres - 1.png

Here's my FX2, with new tyres. The originals were cheap flimsy rubbish. After four punctures in a month I was getting quite good at repairing inner tubes.... Getting bored with that, I ordered a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tyres, which cost a pretty penny, but are reckoned to have the highest level of puncture resistance. If they match the Panasonic Panaracer Tour Guard Plus tyres I had on my last bicycle (when living abroad) I'll be pleased enough.... Just one puncture in more than three years (several punctures a year before fitting them).

Have discovered other benefits with the Schwalbe Marathons.....

Though a little heavier than the OEM tyres, they seem to roll easier. I guess the more oval profile has a smaller contact area.

The more aggressive tread makes for way more confidence and control off paved surfaces.

However the best thing is the much smoother ride on the rough tar seal used on NZ roads. Can probably thank the puncture resisting 5mm of latex between the outer tread and inner casing for absorbing the vibration.

Last edited:

ducknalddon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2018
I've got some of those tyres, I haven't had a puncture in 5,000 miles (before I was getting one every two weeks or about 200 miles).

Reactions: Micky Do

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Sadly a stick decided to push my Lower pulley onto a spoke, which the snapped it right off mid way in a group ride. Sunday 9/26, finally yesterday 10/3 I fixed most of the damage.
Need a 286mm spoke to fix the rear wheel. Had backup GX derailurer, but now they are outta stock so hopefully fate will be kind to me for a while.

d1d811b86390df74a374978ab6bd532b.jpg

0cd23274a93ef9eccf79728b6fa71115.jpg

c55a8b2529185bb46c222c5870becb84.jpg

363e7bc97d0db57bf90f3c24569325cc.jpg

95559cf926274b35bef405fc13eaa5ed.jpg

03bafbeadf87a83a77260d4d472bea85.jpg

Reactions: DeepIn2U

finbred

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2014
Quite a rarity. Frame designed by a buddy in the UK. Built it myself 12 years ago and still going (as) strong (as I can).

vpcxloppi24h47.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.