Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finbred

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2014
My 2004 135 mm On-One Il Pompino "daily ride". Unfortunately I opted for a Planet X carbon fork instead of the regular steel one. Better ride but less a classic.

arkimankeli.jpg

Last edited:

mtbdudex

Suspended
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Rode local trail Brighton Murray lake late Thursday yesterday.
Snow like mashed potatoes, soft and non sticking, some squirrelly here and there, but I truly suprised lack of other riders there , since snow came Monday.
Literally I was second tracks along portions.

bc8699a33115ee92b1977dde3994cf54.jpg

0d08bccd5ee2a0ea732dfc6a45894c72.jpg

Reactions: Micky Do

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
Wow Scott really did a great job hiding the battery and electric motors. I cannot tell the difference between your Blue one from the silver one.

What roller do you use on the addict?
Well, Scott definitely did a great job, but it's a bit easier with Mahle Ebikemotion x35 motor, which is actually in the rear hub, so it's just the battery that has to fit the frame. It's also much less powerful than typical e-bike motors, it is meant to provide help during the climbs mainly (which is where my GF always got left behind, now she can ride uphill faster than me most of the time :) ). But yeah the design was one of the main decisions to buy it (= it looks great haha)

Reg. rollers - I am using Elite Nero interactive rollers, work very well with Zwift, can simulate climbs to 6% (which is enough for training). The power measurement of the rollers itself is not so good, but I have a dedicated powermeter on the bike so no problem for me. The main reason is the more realistic experience compared to traditional direct-drive turbo trainer, also provides a bit of stability/core training keeping the bike upright when sprinting etc. (though riding simulated climbs on rollers means the rear tire wears out faster than I hoped...)

IMG_8022.jpeg

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
My new road bike to go with my other 3, the Focus Izalco Max Disc 8.8, shame I can’t ride it at the moment due to meniscus repair surgery but I’ll be back on it soon.

Attachments

• 126EC720-38D4-42D7-9C65-0E97B28253EC.jpeg
    126EC720-38D4-42D7-9C65-0E97B28253EC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 102

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well, Scott definitely did a great job, but it's a bit easier with Mahle Ebikemotion x35 motor, which is actually in the rear hub, so it's just the battery that has to fit the frame. It's also much less powerful than typical e-bike motors, it is meant to provide help during the climbs mainly (which is where my GF always got left behind, now she can ride uphill faster than me most of the time :) ). But yeah the design was one of the main decisions to buy it (= it looks great haha)

Reg. rollers - I am using Elite Nero interactive rollers, work very well with Zwift, can simulate climbs to 6% (which is enough for training). The power measurement of the rollers itself is not so good, but I have a dedicated powermeter on the bike so no problem for me. The main reason is the more realistic experience compared to traditional direct-drive turbo trainer, also provides a bit of stability/core training keeping the bike upright when sprinting etc. (though riding simulated climbs on rollers means the rear tire wears out faster than I hoped...)

View attachment 1951474

Damn you must be a pro rider or training to be one. I’ve honestly never seen this type of trainer - looks like a dunk roller for cars lol.

Great info especially about core stability etc since you still need to balance the bike and keep your form correct.

Curious why do rollers wear out the rear tire more?

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
Damn you must be a pro rider or training to be one. I’ve honestly never seen this type of trainer - looks like a dunk roller for cars lol.

Great info especially about core stability etc since you still need to balance the bike and keep your form correct.

Curious why do rollers wear out the rear tire more?
Haha, too old for the cyclist-carreer! :) Yep, it's not very usual to see those, first it requires a bit of adaptation (I rode off it a few times, luckily without any damages lol) and also in the past these could not provide a high-resistance workout (were mostly used for warm-ups before races or for track-cyclist)
Take a look here what the real pros can do on these :D

Tire wear - because this model can adjust the resistance (so they simulate the hills in Zwift etc.), the rear tire (where the resistance is, the drum at the back) gets a few slips here and there, I guess they heat up the tire more and it wears a bit... These kind of rollers (until recently) always used to be ridden without any resistance (so the resistance would come from the wheel spinning much faster with higher gears), which does not wear the tires, but would not provide enough resistance...

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Haha, too old for the cyclist-carreer! :) Yep, it's not very usual to see those, first it requires a bit of adaptation (I rode off it a few times, luckily without any damages lol) and also in the past these could not provide a high-resistance workout (were mostly used for warm-ups before races or for track-cyclist)
Take a look here what the real pros can do on these :D

Tire wear - because this model can adjust the resistance (so they simulate the hills in Zwift etc.), the rear tire (where the resistance is, the drum at the back) gets a few slips here and there, I guess they heat up the tire more and it wears a bit... These kind of rollers (until recently) always used to be ridden without any resistance (so the resistance would come from the wheel spinning much faster with higher gears), which does not wear the tires, but would not provide enough resistance...
Thank much appreciate this insight. Helps a lot.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Just wanted to share. Looking to buy this monster. Looks stylish and with three different sizes and a riser handlebar that allows for varied heights. So my gf can ride it too.
Here's more information about the bike https://www.bikethesites.com/road-bikes-under-500/#product3
Feel free to share what you think?

View attachment 1954124

Never share bikes. It never seems to work out well. Get two, or get a tandem. Seriously. One friend bought his wife a bike, and she rode it a few times and ran into some 'animals' that started harassing her. She ended up buying him a bike so they could ride together, and now she's on a race team, and he thinks he woke a monster in her. But she still rides with him, and she jokes it's so she can protect him.

A couple that rides together (usually) stays together.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
My new toy! After accepting that I was riding my MTB on the road a lot more than on the trails, I finally got a proper road bike. 2022 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 L in Purple Haze. The colour shifts between purple and blue depending on the light.

IMG_4085.jpeg

IMG_4018.jpeg

mtbdudex

Suspended
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Got upgraded itis ….
On fattie new RaceFace Next R Carbon cranks , 30t gear, and 30mm spindle / bottom bracket, plus XX1 12sp cassette
7c8dfa256df8104d81c8e321274b8b3f.jpg

On 29’er, went from NX to X01 crankset
cfd8f4e9612190313d011e172e9cba52.jpg

Used the NX crankset on my sons 29er bike for 1 x 12 upgrade from 2 x 10, he has HG hub so went NX 12sp cassette
4cd00d808287d41642cec12159940fce.jpg

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
You're all gonna probably laugh at our bikes. The story goes like this: we bought a commercial van that had been semi converted into a camper. You couldn't stand up in it, but it did us for a good few vacations. The last time we went to the south of Spain in it, we bought a pair of folding bikes, so we could leave the van at a campsite and explore the local area. Unfortunately, it was very windy in the place we go to (Tarifa) so cycling against the wind was incredibly difficult. We sold them and decided on Xiaomi M365 scooters, which were great, except the range. We took them on our next two vacations, but the last trip, I got a puncture on the 2nd day and we were in a remote location, so difficult to get replacements or took a while for Amazon to deliver. So we sold those and bought these bikes. They're e-bikes with a (tested) range of 30 miles, then after that, we can just pedal them. We also sold our old van and have spent the last year converting the new one into a new camper and in just over two weeks time, we'll be getting the ferry over to Spain and then driving down to the bottom, before driving over to Portugal all the way up, then into Spain and back over to get the ferry home three weeks later. The 'garage' in the van was designed for the e-scooters but luckily the bikes fold up and fit in the same space, so that worked out well.

We have two nights in Salamanca, two nights in Seville and then nine nights in Tarifa. We're going to be hiring a moped for over the weekend as we want to go into Gibraltar and there's also a Chinese buffet that we like, but between the campsite and there is a massive mountain, which even with the motor running, I doubt we'd make it there and back with one battery.

The reason we wanted folding bikes was so we could keep them inside the van. Our new van is 5.9m long and anything over 6m pushes you into more expensive price bracket for the ferry crossings.

IMG_4195.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4195.jpg
    IMG_4195.jpg
    970.2 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Micky Do

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I'd give my eye teeth for this one. The Cinelli Laser Rivoluzione... Wow. It was a rocket, and so many people were winning on it the UCI banned it. It's known as a 'funny bike', because of the differing wheel sizes. But this is pure >>>ZOOM>>>

Also notice the pedals. they are the first produced clipless pedals, the M71, that has a black button on the side of the pedal to release the shoe/cleat. They called them 'death cleats' because they often didn't release in a crash unless the button on the pedal hit the ground right. (To release the shoe, the rider actually had to reach down and hit that button to get out of them) It apparently often didn't, but these predate the infamous Look Delta pedals by nearly a decade which were the first clipless pedal systems to sweep the market, and is the grandfather of many systems today.

Cinelli Bike.jpeg

Not all old things are junk. 🤤🤤🤤 I haven't found any on the used market, so far... :(

My latest bike is a holdover Aspero. A nice ride, fun...

aspero.jpeg

Reactions: Odysee and Micky Do
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.