Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xodh

macrumors demi-god
Apr 14, 2015
Manchester, England.
Specialized Levo Gen 3 - Swanage/Studland, Dorset, England.

Attachments

• IMG_2228.jpeg
    IMG_2228.jpeg
    795.1 KB · Views: 167

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Very nice thread and bike photos. I haven’t checked all 80 pages yet but are ebikes included / allowed at all? I searched the forums and it seems no similar ebike threads. Cool to see a lot of mountain bikers and many varieties here. Happy pedaling all!

There are a few e-bike photos already in the past month. Can't wait to see today's people slagging e-bikes riding one when they get 'of that certain age'.

At one point it was a tricycle that 'oldsters' got, but now an e-bike is the must have. It gets people out, keeps them busy/fit, and shouldn't be filleted.

Now the owner of the topic, but I'd think e-bikes are welcome. I remember when people were ripping 'fat bikes', and then they were all the rage.

Reactions: ndouglas

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
This is the 'bike' I seem to be on the most lately. I crashed my wrist and elbow on a pothole.

View attachment 2056823
Agh, sorry to hear that! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

After knee and lower back injury myself, I got an ebike and despite it being heavy and high brake maintenance, I may never go back to non-ebikes.

Attachments

• 198F81EC-A3E2-4213-8145-38C93F871D23.jpeg
    198F81EC-A3E2-4213-8145-38C93F871D23.jpeg
    536.3 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

Chilternburt

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2003
Durban, South Africa
Very nice thread and bike photos. I haven’t checked all 80 pages yet but are ebikes included / allowed at all? I searched the forums and it seems no similar ebike threads. Cool to see a lot of mountain bikers and many varieties here. Happy pedaling all!
My bike posted a few posts up is an eBike, and I don't see why not, its still a bike, and needs to be pedal'd to go

Reactions: ndouglas

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
My bike posted a few posts up is an eBike, and I don't see why not, its still a bike, and needs to be pedal'd to go

I think the aversion to e-bikes has got to end. One of the LBS (Local Bike Shop) managers heaped dump truck loads of scorn and derision onto e-bikes and their owners. Well, guess who was sporting a brand new e-bike, that they 'really love'... My first thought was to roast him on a pyre as a hypocrite, but I congratulated him on it and hoped he would get out to ride it often. He sheepishly said that he at first felt awkward on it, but now thinks everyone should have one at some point. There is hope...

But the bike specific judgement has been so misguided for so long. People rip what they don't understand others need to get out there and enjoy riding. Fat bikes, full suspension MTB bikes (squishies), fixies, gravel bikes, and more have been pilloried in the past. I love my fat bike, and couldn't ride on a hard tail any more.

I would think all would be welcomed. I *hope* all are welcomed which is why I posted my latest 'bike'. (Bicycle shaped object?)

Ride on!!

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Dutch60

macrumors regular
May 18, 2019
Charger-GT-Vario-3_medium.png
Riese & Muller Charger

And:

P1030491_DxO.jpg
Cannondale Silk City 2000 (made in USA)

P1030487_DxO.jpg
(same Cannondale from another angle)

Since I have the Riese & Muller, I hardly ever use the Cannondale. Which is actually a pity, because it' s a beautiful bike.

Last edited:

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
View attachment 2058753 Riese & Muller Charger

And:

View attachment 2058759 Cannondale Silk City 2000 (made in USA)

View attachment 2058762 (same Cannondale from another angle)

Since I have the Riese & Muller, I hardly ever use the Cannondale. Which is actually a pity, because it' s a beautiful bike.
The paint job on your Cannondale looks like a predecessor to my brand new bike’s Purple Haze colour I posted yesterday - metallic blue or purple depending on the angle.

Dutch60

macrumors regular
May 18, 2019
The paint job on your Cannondale looks like a predecessor to my brand new bike’s Purple Haze colour I posted yesterday - metallic blue or purple depending on the angle.
Could be. Green and purple here. My Cannondale is at least 22 years old..(probably 23 or 24), and made in USA (I' m not sure they make regular bikes in USA anymore). Runs like new (and also looks like then)

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Could be. Green and purple here. My Cannondale is at least 22 years old..(probably 23 or 24), and made in USA (I' m not sure they make regular bikes in USA anymore). Runs like new (and also looks like then)

I heard they did for quite a while, but the cost was too high for most people, and they stopped offering them (And allegedly lied about the cost difference to excuse the move).

On an aside Giant was the main OEM manufacturer for Schwinn. They decided to break out on their own, marketing their own brand after Schwinn found a cheaper manufacturer in China.

And there ARE bikes still being 'Made In America'. Most seem to be titanium, or titanium hybrids, but there are some steel and carbon fibre bikes still made in country. Awesome! I've seen a few of those titanium bikes. It's an awesome look for sure.

Dutch60

macrumors regular
May 18, 2019
I heard they did for quite a while, but the cost was too high for most people, and they stopped offering them (And allegedly lied about the cost difference to excuse the move).

On an aside Giant was the main OEM manufacturer for Schwinn. They decided to break out on their own, marketing their own brand after Schwinn found a cheaper manufacturer in China.

And there ARE bikes still being 'Made In America'. Most seem to be titanium, or titanium hybrids, but there are some steel and carbon fibre bikes still made in country. Awesome! I've seen a few of those titanium bikes. It's an awesome look for sure.
Interesting about Pon (Pon Holding). They started with bicycles early last century but immediately after WW2 they imported Volkswagon and Porsche in the Netherlands (where I live). Quickly became very popular (and made Pon rich)

• Wow

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
One company I worked for had showers that were from an earlier owner of the building. I was told to use them if I needed to, but the whole idea of showering at work seemed so creepy. I passed. The were also on a rather nasty stretch of road from where I lived, and I'd have had to ride a few miles out of my way to loop around to get there without risking being a hood ornament. In hindsight, I probably should have done it. It would have saved me from using my car for client visits. *shrug* (But does a 'company car' rate above or below 'the loaner' from a mechanic shop/dealer?)

I work for the military so there are showers everywhere so cleaning up in the morning isn't a big issue when needed. I will say the nice part about being back in Europe is I have bike paths/trails to get me just about anywhere I want to go. I've lived car free in MI, Up State NY, and HI while in each one of these places I found ways to get around without close fast passes you actually have to go find them, here there everywhere.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I work for the military so there are showers everywhere so cleaning up in the morning isn't a big issue when needed. I will say the nice part about being back in Europe is I have bike paths/trails to get me just about anywhere I want to go. I've lived car free in MI, Up State NY, and HI while in each one of these places I found ways to get around without close fast passes you actually have to go find them, here there everywhere.

I have a rather saucy dentist office that I go to. They were asking me what it's like, riding around there, and one of them asked if I rode in 'those outfits'. Um, yeah. 'The spandex stuff?' Well, it's usually some form of Lycra, but yeah' 'Isn't that weird?' No, I couldn't think of riding without it. It's that much comfortable. (And then 'The Question') Is it true that you don't wear underwear?' Yeah, hah, I get that a bit. It's the seams that are the problem. 'Well you should ride your bike to an appointment! That would be cool!' I'd likely be sweaty and in my riding clothes. 'Oh, that's all right *drool*'

Yikes...

In the town I live in, it's really hard to avoid the smaller roads, the ones where people zip along over the speed limit, and will brush you for sport. I was waiting for a clear time to pass a cyclist, and the person behind me just lost it, and came screeching around me and cut back in close to the rider. I mean, wow, if you're that late, you should have left earlier, DUH!!

My idea of a cargo bike would be a challenge because none of the groceries around here have racks, or allour bikes in the store so finding a way to secure it would be a serious challenge, and the two that we use the most are on really hysterically busy and fast roads with little options to get to the somewhat slower roads. It's really kind of depressing that biking is so not a thing here. I'm envious of cities that have taken biking seriously. Love Manhattan. Europe has their head out of their butts generally. AND people also walk so much more in Europe, and some cities here...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Thanks man :cool:

That made me think of the fixie I sat across from on a ferry in NYC. It was a beauty. Shiny white, Brooks saddle, brilliant chrome spokes, leather bar wrap, and just looked so amazing sitting there in the morning sun streaming through the windows. I tried hard to see the brand and not look like I was coveting it with illegal intent. :cool: And within a few months of getting home found a very beautiful one myself. Not quite the same, more of an off-white almost titanium look. I added brakes, a Brooks, turquoise blue grips... And SPD-SL's. Eventually I put drop bars on it too. I even built new wheels for it. And flatted on the first ride. :confused::D:rolleyes:

I went with deeper hoops too. It *looks* fast, even though I'm not. HAH!!!

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Nice. What phone mount are you using?

From my LBS, this Thule.
I remember it as $25.
I love it, on all 4 our bikes.
Put 2 bands on it, zero issues 4 season riding. Yes, I’ve crashed OTB / other, no phone damage and it was held.
I like the quick snap on feature for winter usage. I rubber band it in the car, then with gloves on just quick connect it.

f7c2da56cf2652f77a2295473dda0a0f.jpg

071a90f234fbefe5b47c2144f519371d.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.