Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I was staying at a hotel in the hinterlands, and they 'rented fat bikes'. I had to leave mine home, so took them up on the 'fat bike' idea. It was NOT a very fat fat bike. And there was no riding on ANY groomed trails because the cross country skiers do not have a sense of humor. (The problem was so many places TO ride were bounded by groomed trails! Seriously) And so I'm trucking along and then disappear into a ditch filled with snow that a fat fat bike would have been able to relatively float over, but this thing wanted to float UNDER the snow. I ended up taking it back early, thoroughly exhausted from pedaling in the near waist deep snow, and the huge ditches filled with it. In the end I took a groomed trail back. Screw 'em if they can't take a joke, right?
Hah, yep I recall snowshoeing one time and being surprised how many cross country skiers zoomed past us, kind of a rude bunch… of course there must be some nice ones but it’s funny how they seem to take themselves super seriously….

• Love
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Ganglion cyst next to a nerve. When I rode this summer, I could barely move my wrist after 30-60 minutes. I've tried various compression gloves to help eliminate the shock. It's the second time I've had it removed, and I'm not sure I want surgery every few years.
Yikes, sorry to hear that! Yeah maybe biking is not in the cards for you… alternatives like stationary bikes or treadmills or ellipticals… or, it might be not welcome to hear but, personally walking is very enjoyable to me also, and has plenty of health benefits. Wishing you the best.

Reactions: belvdr

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Hah, yep I recall snowshoeing one time and being surprised how many cross country skiers zoomed past us, kind of a rude bunch… of course there must be some nice ones but it’s funny how they seem to take themselves super seriously….

Like triathletes and vegans. (Ooooooo I might have hit a nerve with that last one)

They, the rental folks, were deadly serious about staying off the only groomed trails in the area and forcing their renters to ride in ungroomed virgin deep snow. I wonder how many bikes they actually rented, and how many came back looking for a refund. They *could* have someone take a snow machine around and hill billy groom some trails, but that didn't dawn on anyone there for some reason. I mean, I like riding, and it is a challenge at times, but they were verging on cruelty there... :D:cool:

Odysee

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2007
Manchester, UK
That made me think of the fixie I sat across from on a ferry in NYC. It was a beauty. Shiny white, Brooks saddle, brilliant chrome spokes, leather bar wrap, and just looked so amazing sitting there in the morning sun streaming through the windows. I tried hard to see the brand and not look like I was coveting it with illegal intent. :cool: And within a few months of getting home found a very beautiful one myself. Not quite the same, more of an off-white almost titanium look. I added brakes, a Brooks, turquoise blue grips... And SPD-SL's. Eventually I put drop bars on it too. I even built new wheels for it. And flatted on the first ride. :confused::D:rolleyes:

I went with deeper hoops too. It *looks* fast, even though I'm not. HAH!!!

OOO nice! Do you have any photos? I love my bike!

I've updated it a little since this pic - I have no bar grips (Brooks), same colour, but they are so much better quality from the previous ones I had.

New brakes and tyres!

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Upgraded from a Kalkhoff to a Riese Müller Cruiser. ❤️

Attachments

• C084CC2F-3A07-48DE-8CCF-A501198C7993.jpeg
    C084CC2F-3A07-48DE-8CCF-A501198C7993.jpeg
    689.9 KB · Views: 89

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think the aversion to e-bikes has got to end. One of the LBS (Local Bike Shop) managers heaped dump truck loads of scorn and derision onto e-bikes and their owners. Well, guess who was sporting a brand new e-bike, that they 'really love'... My first thought was to roast him on a pyre as a hypocrite, but I congratulated him on it and hoped he would get out to ride it often. He sheepishly said that he at first felt awkward on it, but now thinks everyone should have one at some point. There is hope...

But the bike specific judgement has been so misguided for so long. People rip what they don't understand others need to get out there and enjoy riding. Fat bikes, full suspension MTB bikes (squishies), fixies, gravel bikes, and more have been pilloried in the past. I love my fat bike, and couldn't ride on a hard tail any more.

I would think all would be welcomed. I *hope* all are welcomed which is why I posted my latest 'bike'. (Bicycle shaped object?)

Ride on!!

For a while I was completely against e-bikes but I do see a great use and need for them. For me I’ll not be using them, yet, and probably and hopefully for a while - as I want to improve my cardio and core strength the old school way.

Just something about having to pedal and move on your own steam, even super tired and exhausted like I had with a big cold last fall.

Maybe something instilled in me since 5yr old when my pops took me out bike riding. I recall a double bill on a paved road in a large park where it took me years to finally make it up the hill, then a few more to keep up with my dad then 1 more year to finally pass him up the hill and taunt him, lol (5yr old to 13yrs old). Seeing the y approving face I learned a valuable lesson and apologized making fresh orange juice when we got home.

I feel it’s so critical for parents to take their kids bike riding at a young age for many reasons/
Fun,
Fitness,
Being aware of your surroundings,
* Learning your neighborhood(!) and people within it knowing you(!),
Learning to apply North, East, South, and West.
Getting away from the TV, home computer just for a bit may help you be more efficient when you come back to it.

* this key point mentioned above not only helped me find learn compass directions before school taught it, it helped me many times find myself and my friends way home summer days and early evenings before sunset! More importantly - if somewhat lost I could always ask the teller at a gas station for the nearest major street and direction and easily find my way again (at age 7yrs old). More critically is people in the ‘hood would know and recognize you if ever the situation were you’re kidnapped should ever see you would immediately know something was wrong and report it to authorities.

My new bike, it's about a month old now. I love it. I go out on it most evenings after work. :cool:

View attachment 2061126

Nice ride and pic; love the tan leather on the seat & bars.

Every time I see a wheelie I keep thinking that movie with the saying “can’t stop, don’t want to” wondering if Quicksilver with Broadie(?) & Snipes had a wheelie?

You guys got some balls on you commuting with those! 🤘🏿

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
For a while I was completely against e-bikes but I do see a great use and need for them. For me I’ll not be using them, yet, and probably and hopefully for a while - as I want to improve my cardio and core strength the old school way.

Just something about having to pedal and move on your own steam, even super tired and exhausted like I had with a big cold last fall.

But an e-bike isn't 'not pedaling', it's pedaling and having an 'assist'. Not pedaling is called 'motorcycle', and there aren't that many like that. Anything that calls itself a 'bike' should be required to have some user effort to be able to be called a 'bike'. Sorry, but you have to draw the line somewhere... (Odd that early electric motorcycle vendors have largely gown bankrupt, and all you can find are 'pretend' pieces of 'stuff'. Sane e-bikes also ahve a set speed limit so they aren't a 'donor cycle' like a traditional motorcycle.

But I could see the need for one as I get older. My indoor training rides do get a little old at times. It still hurts almost as much to be dropped in a simulated ride. (It's also harder to cheat on them than most people think)

I saw one advertised/reviewed many years ago by a major motorcycle corporation of all things, and it looked HOT HOT HOT!!! It was also neck breaking FAST FAST FAST!!! Holding the front wheel down was a real job as it kept wanting to flip over backwards. Yeah, no...

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
But an e-bike isn't 'not pedaling', it's pedaling and having an 'assist'. Not pedaling is called 'motorcycle', and there aren't that many like that. Anything that calls itself a 'bike' should be required to have some user effort to be able to be called a 'bike'. Sorry, but you have to draw the line somewhere... (Odd that early electric motorcycle vendors have largely gown bankrupt, and all you can find are 'pretend' pieces of 'stuff'. Sane e-bikes also ahve a set speed limit so they aren't a 'donor cycle' like a traditional motorcycle.

But I could see the need for one as I get older. My indoor training rides do get a little old at times. It still hurts almost as much to be dropped in a simulated ride. (It's also harder to cheat on them than most people think)

I saw one advertised/reviewed many years ago by a major motorcycle corporation of all things, and it looked HOT HOT HOT!!! It was also neck breaking FAST FAST FAST!!! Holding the front wheel down was a real job as it kept wanting to flip over backwards. Yeah, no...

That’s not entirely true.

I’ve seen e-bikes used by UberEats riders where they are NOT pedalling at all or barely pedalling and still travelling faster than 25km/h (matched by a car at that speed btw).

E-bikes are a hybrid of the two: pedalling or non-pedalling for limited time/distance based on charge.

I get those of us in this thread have injuries or needs for surgery form re-occurring injuries where an e-bike is better or may be better suited to their unique situations. Also for those older in their retirement age. I applaud them ALL ! My own father is 71 and still bike rides in retirement on an old 21 speed Meile so I’ll be happy if I can do the same in 21yrs.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
That’s not entirely true.

I’ve seen e-bikes used by UberEats riders where they are NOT pedalling at all or barely pedalling and still travelling faster than 25km/h (matched by a car at that speed btw).

E-bikes are a hybrid of the two: pedalling or non-pedalling for limited time/distance based on charge.

I get those of us in this thread have injuries or needs for surgery form re-occurring injuries where an e-bike is better or may be better suited to their unique situations. Also for those older in their retirement age. I applaud them ALL ! My own father is 71 and still bike rides in retirement on an old 21 speed Meile so I’ll be happy if I can do the same in 21yrs.

And what I've read is that many (most?) states (feds?) require a governor on the top speed of an e-bike, and that the rider has to be pedaling to get assistance. I've also read about people 'hacking' e-bikes, turning them into speed machines that either don't require pedaling to get up to speed, and/or do not have a set top speed. IMO, such devices are highly dangerous and needlessly destructive. I wouldn't hop on a device that had no reasonable top speed, and is asking for the driver/rider to be injured. (Sure, a road motorcycle is just as dangerous, but there is a slight difference between them and 'hot' e-bikes: They are licensed and 'street legal'.

But people are free to do what they want. I just hope it doesn't injure/kill innocent bystanders.

As a teenager, I watched a hand-built dune buggy kill two young adults. I also watched a kid with a stuck throttle on his self-maintained dirt bike, blow through an intersection at nearly 50 mph, and crash into a bridge abutment. Stupid hurts. I have a sticker in the shape of a band-aid that says that. Hysterical...

Reactions: DeepIn2U

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Saturday 3/4 10” snow, 5 guys, yea we rode our fatties.
Never had so many downed trees and leaned over trees on trail, hike a bike time!
38ff96e3fa8c69a82edc32c8d10d3950.jpg

731bf165f4c2125a3f4dcfe6589df16c.jpg

11fdf2d93c189c11a30dc01372996774.jpg

8374f1c6b9fb707e3aaed68503f1e8dd.jpg

43fc8a1edf57cf5a02f7b2567a5fd302.jpg

Awesome. If you live near Michigan, check out 'Iceman Cometh', which is a 30 mile bike race in (usually) freezing weather. I've done it twice, and it's been in the lower 30's both times. It makes it a real struggle to balance being warm, and nearly literally melting. It's more of an art than a science I'm convinced. I might do it again if I can fit the drive into the whole thing.

Reactions: mtbdudex

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Related tangent.

Wonder how an 'average' local rider would stack up to the 'pros'?

I can pull low 20mph flats, but hills (mountains) eat me alive. Most calories I've expended on a ride: 1,700. Yikes. My worst year, I did flat 5 times. Ouch. A chain lasts 2 to 3 years. Frugal? Watts at threshold: 212/245. I can't even dream of a pro spot. :D:cool:

Ride on!!

You versus the Peloton copy.jpg

Reactions: John.B

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Attempted my local trail (settlers park) this morning at 5am.. 10” snow 1 week ago, loop 3 still covered with 5-6-7” snow in portions that’s crusted over, you break it and just f ing brutal pedal, I bailed it 1/4 way thru. Did not attempt loop 2, hit loop 1 again.

0180e2616b199af5abffb32b3a55f055.jpg

Reactions: ndouglas

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Awesome. If you live near Michigan, check out 'Iceman Cometh', which is a 30 mile bike race in (usually) freezing weather. I've done it twice, and it's been in the lower 30's both times. It makes it a real struggle to balance being warm, and nearly literally melting. It's more of an art than a science I'm convinced. I might do it again if I can fit the drive into the whole thing.

Epic times at iceman agree!!
I did it … hold on .. in 1996 and 1998
Here’s 1996, I took 5th place, I’m on the GaryFischer Z dual susp.
Much less people then, like in the mid 1,000’s, not what 4-5,000 like these days.

Ha, no bar mitts then either .. just gloves n guts
c53fadf6c3826bf69ee5efb56440313b.jpg

Ended up taking the mmba point series 1st place for my age then also
47f780adbe926b35e1dbc4ffecc39ef7.jpg

• Love

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Epic times at iceman agree!!
I did it … hold on .. in 1996 and 1998
Here’s 1996, I took 5th place, I’m on the GaryFischer Z dual susp.
Much less people then, like in the mid 1,000’s, not what 4-5,000 like these days.

Ha, no bar mitts then either .. just gloves n guts
c53fadf6c3826bf69ee5efb56440313b.jpg

Ended up taking the mmba point series 1st place for my age then also
47f780adbe926b35e1dbc4ffecc39ef7.jpg

It's been 'nice man' a few times so far. The year after I last did it, it was in the 70's. People were passing out from the heat, and they ran completely out of water at all of the support stops. Most people were riding with heavier kit because that was all they packed. The vendor room was quickly stripped of anything with short sleeves, and the local bike shops were sending people to grab as much 'summer' stuff as they still had left, which wasn't much. It was a disaster from what one guy said. People passing out, as noted above, people stripping - riding topless. YIKES! And the wx was somewhat seasonal in the week before, so it was catching nearly everyone off guard. And it's happened twice since then too.

Imagine riding 30 miles in long sleeves, 70+ temps, no water. Heck, it's bad enough riding in the low 30's... I may not seriously do it again. It's just too uncertain, and if it's hot again with all of the screwups they did, sadly, I'll pass.

Yeah, it's gotten WAY too big. The pushing, shoving, screaming, yelling, swearing, rude behavior was just too much. I was brutally cut off by a 'pro' that didn't even look back. I think they should run the pros first so they don't crap on the slower waves. The rudeness was uncalled for. I tried to help some people having problems. 👍🏼 Yelling at someone who has fallen in your way and telling them to quit biking because they suck at it was just way too nasty. I saw someone pick up a rider's bike and throw it into the brush off the side. It's only a bike ride. *sigh*

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
^^^
I’ve heard same from my friends who’ve gone to iceman past few years.
Having raced 4 solid years every week 1996-1999, then still in the racing scene monthly thru mid 2000’s, got old hat the bigger and bigger crowds, etc.
Made many great friends , some I still ride with, but my adrenaline fueled race days are past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.