Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VuvuzelaiPhone

Suspended
Aug 15, 2022
Couple of Riese & Muller Nevo GT Varios.

Got a great deal on some 2021 floor models. Awesome bikes. Don’t have any photos out and about, but I’ll work on it.

C04F6E3C-70A8-42E7-B9F9-1F0356E5A6BF.jpeg

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Couple of Riese & Muller Nevo GT Varios.

Got a great deal on some 2021 floor models. Awesome bikes. Don’t have any photos out and about, but I’ll work on it.

View attachment 2050565
Awesome! Today's e-bike is the 'moped' of my youth. A friend of mine got one of those that had the engine in the front fender, and literally rode it to death. He zipped everywhere, and always seemed to smell of premix and 2-cycle exhaust. But he literally rode it to death over 3 years. It was clunky, back then, and yet somewhat popular.

I've been looking at a couple e-bike cargo bikes. Great idea! If they were more affordable, and had a good way to carry big things, I'd likely have one. The stores are just far enough away that taking a car is almost mandatory. And the roads are nasty enough that doing the cargo would add quite a few miles depending in the store, AND not many of them have bike racks, or charging stations for e-bikes or electric cars. It's a crime that people don't see electric anything as being important. One strip mall went and put in a 6-bay electric car charging station, very hi-tech, and it's sat for 6 months waiting to be connected to mains power. The meters and connections aren't there yet either, but it is listed as 'available'. *groan*

But I rant, and it's Saturday.

Great idea! Ride on!

Reactions: VuvuzelaiPhone

VuvuzelaiPhone

Suspended
Aug 15, 2022
Awesome! Today's e-bike is the 'moped' of my youth. A friend of mine got one of those that had the engine in the front fender, and literally rode it to death. He zipped everywhere, and always seemed to smell of premix and 2-cycle exhaust. But he literally rode it to death over 3 years. It was clunky, back then, and yet somewhat popular.

I've been looking at a couple e-bike cargo bikes. Great idea! If they were more affordable, and had a good way to carry big things, I'd likely have one. The stores are just far enough away that taking a car is almost mandatory. And the roads are nasty enough that doing the cargo would add quite a few miles depending in the store, AND not many of them have bike racks, or charging stations for e-bikes or electric cars. It's a crime that people don't see electric anything as being important. One strip mall went and put in a 6-bay electric car charging station, very hi-tech, and it's sat for 6 months waiting to be connected to mains power. The meters and connections aren't there yet either, but it is listed as 'available'. *groan*

But I rant, and it's Saturday.

Great idea! Ride on!

Looks like you're in the US, it is super frustrating how difficult (and dangerous) it is to bike instead of drive. I was in Amsterdam recently and it was wonderful being able to bike everywhere, seeing parents riding around with their kids in an Urban Arrow or similar cargo bike.

It isn't clear to me that we will ever get serious about bikes in the states, I'll hold out some hope though. E-bikes have the potential to change things especially in hilly places. But we need a mindset shift; biking isn't just for exercise, it is a viable mode of transportation especially if we focus on building proper infrastructure.

Best of luck to you, hopefully the cost of cargo e-bikes starts to come down. It can serve as a great last mile delivery method as well, I witnessed that a lot in Amsterdam too.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Looks like you're in the US, it is super frustrating how difficult (and dangerous) it is to bike instead of drive. I was in Amsterdam recently and it was wonderful being able to bike everywhere, seeing parents riding around with their kids in an Urban Arrow or similar cargo bike.

It isn't clear to me that we will ever get serious about bikes in the states, I'll hold out some hope though. E-bikes have the potential to change things especially in hilly places. But we need a mindset shift; biking isn't just for exercise, it is a viable mode of transportation especially if we focus on building proper infrastructure.

Best of luck to you, hopefully the cost of cargo e-bikes starts to come down. It can serve as a great last mile delivery method as well, I witnessed that a lot in Amsterdam too.

I saw designs for an elevated 'bicycle highway' that would actually be built on pillars running down the median of a major federal interstate. The design was so awesome, I loved it instantly, and yet the 'usual suspects' came out with guns and knives blazing and killed it before it even started. (Many weren't all that usual too, sadly) But imagine an elevated bike trail that spanned the whole state, with entrance and exit ramps and 'service areas', and even a coffee shop or two along the way. I was so excited for the plans to be implemented, but, alas, it all was 'dead on arrival'. So sad, tragic even.

Yeah, people assume that when they see others riding bikes in town, they had a DUI and lost their license. *sigh*

Seeing citizens in other countries, and even other cities, is amazing. People actually walk in many cities, and obesity is way less than here. People actually ride bikes around al over cities and countries, and are all the better for it. It's gotten better in some areas. Ride on!!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
New saddle day!!
Sella Itila XL-R Superflow
f4c238525bc4d2a015ff95228d7ec3cf.jpg

12c6b4c9165e4c7bc0c8a4d5baa46365.jpg

ac7e3bcd620ba274a8639f95ab1d7cfc.jpg

f7f4fc872a4ffb2035746385dbf0321a.jpg

I love 'new saddle day', and hope that it will last 6-months or more. (It's just me I'm sure) I donated a huge box of perfectly good saddles that my finicky bottom loved to death, and then failed miserably months or years later. *sigh*

My current AWESOME SADDLES are a Specialized 'Power' on the trainer, and Brooks Cambiums on the other 2 that I ride often enough to care what I sit on. That one looks a lot like the Specialized Power, so hmm... It should be a good one. I already went through the fizik 3d printed one. Expensive, but like Garfield the cat, John buys the most expensive cat bed available, and Garfield ends up sleeping in the box. It's actually kind of funny. Expensive, but funny. I use padded bibs, and chamois cream, and still suffer with an entitled derriere. :cool:

EDIT : One LBS has 'trial periods' for saddles, and though it sounds good, I passed after seeing the condition of a few of them. *Yikes*

Last edited:
Reactions: mtbdudex

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I could have simply bought a replacement Volt, however where’d the fun in that?

Seriously I did notice on long rides with the Volt (3+ hours for me) some saddle related weariness. Hence when the time came I did research, talked to fellow riders, did test rides on their bike, etc.

Plus, I’ll be doing my longest single ride October 15, 60+ continuous trail miles taking 7+ hours, as part of my 60th bday party with my MTB friends.

So far after 2 rides now this new saddle has not given me any reasons / pressure points / soreness to return it.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I could have simply bought a replacement Volt, however where’d the fun in that?

Seriously I did notice on long rides with the Volt (3+ hours for me) some saddle related weariness. Hence when the time came I did research, talked to fellow riders, did test rides on their bike, etc.

Plus, I’ll be doing my longest single ride October 15, 60+ continuous trail miles taking 7+ hours, as part of my 60th bday party with my MTB friends.

So far after 2 rides now this new saddle has not given me any reasons / pressure points / soreness to return it.

You will definitely know after that big ride. I think part of my issue was riding a seat that gave me saddle sores. I mean nearly open sores that made sitting on a chair painful. It was a seat that I paid a bunch of money for and was determined to like. You can't force yourself to not get those, no matter how hard you try. I was also riding, on average, 2 hours a day, 6 to 7 days a week. I started using creme, and found out that I was allergic to it! I couldn't catch a break. However get good bibs, or shorts. Get a good creme. Keep the area clean and dry, especially off bike. Cotton underwear is strongly suggested. And Ride On! 👍🏼 (Happy Birthday!)

Reactions: mtbdudex

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

One company I worked for had showers that were from an earlier owner of the building. I was told to use them if I needed to, but the whole idea of showering at work seemed so creepy. I passed. The were also on a rather nasty stretch of road from where I lived, and I'd have had to ride a few miles out of my way to loop around to get there without risking being a hood ornament. In hindsight, I probably should have done it. It would have saved me from using my car for client visits. *shrug* (But does a 'company car' rate above or below 'the loaner' from a mechanic shop/dealer?)

Reactions: lowendlinux

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
That's a HUGE cassette! I never ever thought they would ever get to that size, but a 1-by IS so much easier. Less to be jammed and have the chain fall off.

The downside to 1x12 is ya gotta keep the rear derailleur straight, dead straight, for crisp shifting. Much more critical than a 2x10 setup.
I’ve just accepted it and bought the park hanger straightening tool.

• Haha
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The downside to 1x12 is ya gotta keep the rear derailleur straight, dead straight, for crisp shifting. Much more critical than a 2x10 setup.
I’ve just accepted it and bought the park hanger straightening tool.

Wise choice! You learned well... I was on a Trek Trip, and said that I had the hanger too, and the overworked guide looked at me very expectantly 'You have it WITH YOU!?!?' And I had to disappoint him. Yeah, sure, never leave the house without it. Apparently he had been trying to get Trek to send him one all year. If you need it, you are overjoyed to have it, but most of the time it's just a really weird thing to try to fit in your tool box. :D

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Very nice thread and bike photos. I haven’t checked all 80 pages yet but are ebikes included / allowed at all? I searched the forums and it seems no similar ebike threads. Cool to see a lot of mountain bikers and many varieties here. Happy pedaling all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.