Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
Hey Mac Rumors dudes,

I just watched the hp announcement broadcast over windoze media player, and took some screenshots of the new iPods.

Enjoy:

hp_ipod1.jpg

hp_ipod2.jpg

You can't quite see it, as I couldn't command + ctrl + shift + 4 + space + click fast enough, but there's a 20GB model (the red box) sitting under that 40GB model.

hp_ipod3.jpg

Note for the above pic. In the presentation, it showed a user starting with a plain iPod, then literally attaching a "sticker" or window-cling like thing to it. It does not come standard like that.

Peace,
~~Eddy~~

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
looks good. i like the look of the box. i always thought hp had nice appealing boxes like apple, i also enjoy their commercials.

iJon

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
I dont understand the point of the HP iPod, all it is is an Apple with a different box. It's still even got the Apple logo! They're identical models, identical prices.... it's stupid. Anyone have an explanataion?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The sticker is something they're calling "tattoos" that they print from an HP printer to give the iPod a new look quickly.

Apmonia

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2003
There are two reasons for Apple to let this happen:
1. Some people won't buy anything from Apple. Even if it has the Apple logo on the back, they "bought" it from HP, a PC company, and therefore it is something good.

2. Rebates. Just like the Jam and Cram deal, you can now get mail-in rebates on a PC and not only a Mac. For Apple and HP, this is a win-win situation. Apple sells its iPod to show just how well their products work and HP has the iPod. The great thing about it is when the customers HP computer gets spyware or just plain fails and the iPod keeps going, Apple might just get a few switchers out of the deal. :)

Apmonia

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
You are right...

Apmonia said:
There are two reasons for Apple to let this happen:
1. Some people won't buy anything from Apple. Even if it has the Apple logo on the back, they "bought" it from HP, a PC company, and therefore it is something good.

Apmonia

I second that, I know a man who isn't a PC geek but a Mac hater, he sucks just because he used mac just once, 6 years ago, and still says that there is no competition against a PC, he has never seen the iLife apps and has no idea about Mac os X ... those kind of people are overall ... S*ckers :mad:

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
bousozoku said:
The sticker is something they're calling "tattoos" that they print from an HP printer to give the iPod a new look quickly.

Well that's certainly an almost cool idea.. i just hope it doesn't leave any residue, since that would stick to your hand and make the iPod very uncomfortable without attaching another sticker to it.. which eventually you'd get tired of and take off. Basically, unless it uses no adhesive its gonna suck pretty bad.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
This is a win win situation for both companies. Apple has just got onboard a huge distributor for it's iPod and HP now has the cool iPod to make it's PC's look cool too. An ideal partnership I would say.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Thanks for the pics...it's nice to know that the "corpse blue" of the HP re-branding was restricted to the box. :)
bousozoku said:
If they come off as easily as they go on, it's an interesting application, especially for the skinning/faceplates heavy-personalization crowd. Wonder if printing really has to be done from an HP printer, or if it's just a matter of a template, the right print media, and an image: if that were the case, anyone not fond of plain white could stick anything on their iPod.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
rueyeet said:
Thanks for the pics...it's nice to know that the "corpse blue" of the HP re-branding was restricted to the box. :)
If they come off as easily as they go on, it's an interesting application, especially for the skinning/faceplates heavy-personalization crowd. Wonder if printing really has to be done from an HP printer, or if it's just a matter of a template, the right print media, and an image: if that were the case, anyone not fond of plain white could stick anything on their iPod.

Even if they start as HP-only media, someone will develop similar sticky paper because there will be money in it. It's an interesting idea but it still doesn't protect the iPod and I'm sure the various translucent cases will be in demand more than ever.

It will be nice to see an iPod presence in various stores where HP has an agreement but Apple does not. Maybe with HP and Apple selling iPods at Best Buy, they'll be placed in a display more than 2 inches from the floor.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Are there really no differences other than the HP logo on the back? I would think that there should be something else different, like different included accessories or something. Either way I think this is a very big deal for Apple.

I wonder who will be the next to do this. Anybody have a good suggestion of who could benefit from this trend next?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
kgarner said:
Are there really no differences other than the HP logo on the back? I would think that there should be something else different, like different included accessories or something. Either way I think this is a very big deal for Apple.

I wonder who will be the next to do this. Anybody have a good suggestion of who could benefit from this trend next?

I'm sure that the power on sequence displays an HP logo.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
kgarner said:

There ipods don't work with macs.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
quagmire said:
Do they really not work with Macs, or is it just that HP is only advertising that they work with PCs, but saying nothing about them working with Macs. I guess Apple could put some code in there to keep them from working on Macs in order to force (like they would need to :rolleyes: ) Mac users to buy the Apple version. nayone have a link to any info on this?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
quagmire said:
are you assuming that or is that a fact they have stated. I highly doubt apple would let them do that, in case that customer ever wanted to switch but wanted to keep their current ipod

iJon

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
HP probably doesn't want to provide tech support for Mac users, so they say that their iPod only works with Windows. It'll probably still work fine on the Mac.

kgarner said:
...in order to force (like they would need to :rolleyes: ) Mac users to buy the Apple version.

Assuming that the HP version does in fact work with Macs, I would most likely buy the HP version rather than the Apple one. I'll need to wait and see local pricing, but HP's one will probably end up cheaper than Apple's.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
iJon said:
are you assuming that or is that a fact they have stated. I highly doubt apple would let them do that, in case that customer ever wanted to switch but wanted to keep their current ipod

iJon

I am sure it doesn't work for Mac. If you look under the compatibility of hp's ipod there is no mac symbol. Sorry, for not pointing that earlier. I am sure though that apple disabled Mac compatibilty but, there might be a hack or something that you can download that activates that software. But, I have no idea. We just have to wait and see if it doesn't work for mac.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
In fact HP's product description says that the included software will be for both Windows and Mac. HP are only specifying Windows support because 1) they don't have the expertise to support Mac users 2) HP sell computers that run several operating systems other than Windows and 3) promoting the HFS+ capability would confuse HP's marketing message of hey look, the iPod is compatible with HP's Windows offerings!

Their marketing message would obviously be altered if/when the distribution arrangement included other Apple products.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Nermal said:
HP probably doesn't want to provide tech support for Mac users, so they say that their iPod only works with Windows. It'll probably still work fine on the Mac.

Assuming that the HP version does in fact work with Macs, I would most likely buy the HP version rather than the Apple one. I'll need to wait and see local pricing, but HP's one will probably end up cheaper than Apple's.

Competition is a good thing and I hope to see $100AUD wiped off the price soon of both models...maybe more

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's interesting to me that I've read in stock news that the HP version is clone of the iPod and that most of the news seems to imply that Apple has nothing to do with it and that HP is going to use their powerful distribution capabilities to crush Apple in the music business.

It's no wonder that Apple's stock price has been down today.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Where did you come up with it not working with Macs? On their own website they list it for both PC and Mac, it even states that it includes an install disc with iTunes for both Windows and Mac on the disc...

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Powerbook G5 said:
Where did you come up with it not working with Macs? On their own website they list it for both PC and Mac, it even states that it includes an install disc with iTunes for both Windows and Mac on the disc...

Itr says under description part before you add it to your cart. It only has the windows symbol. But, maybe iMeowBot is right and it does work with mac but, HP doesn't want to provide for Mac users.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/...l&page=home&site=main&product_code=PE435A#ABA

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It would be odd that they'd include software for the Mac if the iPod were somehow formatted not to be compatible with it.

Attachments

• hp-small.jpg
    hp-small.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 260
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.