Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Powerbook G5 said:
It would be odd that they'd include software for the Mac if the iPod were somehow formatted not to be compatible with it.

It's possible that they're all formatted for Windows.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
If that were the case, then it can still work for the Mac. The only way I could see the iPod not working at all with the Mac is if Apple put a chip inside of it that somehow locks it out, otherwise it will be capable of being used with either system.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I don't like how a PC comoany is selling Macs- it just seems weird. I can see the companies reasons but it just for me does not seem to fit. I like HP, I have bought 1 pc, 3 printers and 1 scanner from them

Apmonia

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2003
Technically HP isn't selling the iPod inasmuch as repackaging it, it's the local electronic stores, e.i. Fry's, Circuit City, Best Buy, and CompUSA that are selling them. This might backfire on Apple because, unlike clones, these look exactly the same. So, if one customer comes in and looks at two different iPods, one with mail-in rebates (presumably the HP), and one without (premusably the Apple), which one are they going to buy? And more importantly, which company is that building a brand loyalty toward? My only fear with this merger is that the HP iPod sells so well that they actually stop using the iPod and develop their own player, then those customers who were happy with the last HP iPod they bought, buy the new player instead believing it to be an HP product. Then Apple loses, again.

I hope none of the aforementioned comes true.

Apmonia

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
wow, this is amazing. I started this thread, and i'm still the only person who's posted any actual pics of the thing!

c'mon guys, lets get some pics in here, thats the whole reason i stared this thing.

:eek:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
KevRC4130 said:
I dont understand the point of the HP iPod, all it is is an Apple with a different box. It's still even got the Apple logo! They're identical models, identical prices.... it's stupid. Anyone have an explanataion?

I don't see how this can be a bad thing for Apple. They gain access to distribution that they could only dream about before. They gain access to PC users who may have never considered an Apple product. They gain access to better shelf space at retail and outlets that Apple products have never been in (Walmart, Costco to name 2) They have iTunes and Quicktime pre-installed on millions of PCs and as the default music player. They keep Microsoft's music offering off of HP and Compaq PCs. The only thing they lose is a few margin points on the iPods HP sells since Apple will probably sell more wholesale than at retail. Even that is arguable. Bottom line, they will sell more iPods with HP than without.

Let's not forget about the iTMS. Don't buy Apple's BS, this can be a huge money maker for them as the market grows and if they can retain market share.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
quagmire said:
I am sure it doesn't work for Mac. If you look under the compatibility of hp's ipod there is no mac symbol. Sorry, for not pointing that earlier. I am sure though that apple disabled Mac compatibilty but, there might be a hack or something that you can download that activates that software. But, I have no idea. We just have to wait and see if it doesn't work for mac.

There is no Mac or PC compatibility on the iPod; it's how you format the drive. Either way you format it, it will work on a Mac.

V.A.Toss

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
jkglkjhghjbihygjhg

This strategy of licensing out, or selling out a design to another company has been done before. Unsuccesfully.

Lotus sold the Elise chassis to Vauxhall for their VX220. At first this seemed like a great idea for both sides. Lotus a small manufacturer, needed money. Vauxhall, utterly inept at chassis design and part of GMs family of bollocks cars; needed a chassis for a sportscar.

But then once the VX220 was built it just didnt sell, at all. Infact it was an unmitigated disaster.

The reason for this was, if you wanted to buy a sportscar would you buy a cool lotus elise, with status and badge credibility. Or buy an identical car with a vauxhall badge.

Well most people chose the Elise.

This isnt just about Apple haters and HP lovers (or vise versa). When paying £240 for an MP3 player most people pick the one they think will appear cooler. An MP3 player is as much about status, fashion, and looking good as anything else.

If someone who bought the Hpod met a person who had bought an iPod, Mr Hpod would feel not only ashamed but also pretty stupid for spending £220 on an inferior brand label.

There are people (believe it or not) who love GM and vauxhalls, they swear by them. There are also people who hate Lotus touting them as inferior british sportscars (i assure you they are not). But the evidence shows that the Vauxhall didnt sell, the elise did. So either Lotus haters bought the Elise and swallowed their pride, or they bought from another manufacturer altogether.

Either way, its not a good sign for HP. Great for Apple though so im not complaining.

rfenik

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2003
Worst iPod ad...ever!

This image is currently on the hp homepage. This has got to be the WORST iPod ad ever. The earbuds don't even look real, they curve too much - which makes it look like the cord holds it's shape or something. Clearly just a couple of photoshopped bezier curves. Couldn't they take a pictureof someone wearing and holding the hp iPod instead of superimposing some stock photography? Why isn't she holding the iPod or keeping it in her pocket? iPods don't float behind you. It just looks cheap the way the did it, unlike Apple's ads which look ... well... cool.

They should have made the earbuds hp blue instead of keeping them white.

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 158

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
Apmonia said:
My only fear with this merger is that the HP iPod sells so well that they actually stop using the iPod and develop their own player, then those customers who were happy with the last HP iPod they bought, buy the new player instead believing it to be an HP product. Then Apple loses, again.

Except, as Real, Napster and Dell still haven't figured out, Apple's strength isn't just the iPod... or iTunes... or iTunes Music Store, each of which are best in class. But, Apple's strength is the combination of the three. Beating Apple in this market will take a lot more than coming up with an iPod killer, it will also take a killer media player and music store. And with different companies providing different parts, how likely is that to happen? Especially since one of them is Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.