Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
IMG_0089.jpeg
IMG_0086.jpeg
IMG_0087.jpeg
IMG_0088.jpeg
Northern Lights as seen tonight from my home in Dayton OH. Absolute bucket list item, always thought Iā€™d have to make my way to Finland for this. Iā€™m about to cry. My 15PM was born for this. My 11 year old is also losing her mind. Absolutely wild!

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Well I was not expecting to see the northern aurora all the way down in southeast Texas this evening. I received an alert from #skysafaripro that the ISS was passing over, so went out to get the space station. Much to my delight, I saw red in the sky. I knew the aurora was very strong tonight and tomorrow, but didnā€™t expect this. The white line is the ISS passing through the Big Dipper with the glow of the aurora. Taken with my iPhone 15 pro max with my new Reeflex 2x telephoto lens. Thatā€™s the best external lens I have ever used.

This is the international space station passing through the big dipper with the Aurora below

IMG_4621.jpeg

IMG_4622.jpeg

IMG_4623.jpeg

IMG_4627.jpeg

IMG_4625.jpeg

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Dang i missed this i passed out way to early.... hopefully can see this again in my life time
Well, according to the news reports a second wave will be visible this evening. I donā€™t know how strong or significant it will look, but at least you can check the Internet aurora forecast to see if itā€™s going to happen again this evening like they mentioned earlier.

Reactions: jeremz1ne

Deifie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
Taken with my iPhone 15 pro max with my new Reeflex 2x telephoto lens. Thatā€™s the best external lens I have ever used.
Hi, could you please share your settings in Reeflex for taking the picture witht the ISS?
It looks really great!

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Hi, could you please share your settings in Reeflex for taking the picture witht the ISS?
It looks really great!
Sureā€¦ I actually used the default iPhone camera in night mode with a Reeflex 2x iPhone external lens attached. I havenā€™t used the Reeflex apps enough yet to compare. Night mode (30 second exposure) was used here. Other third party apps canā€™t shoot in night mode yet. The ā€œEven Longerā€ app is a fantastic app for long exposures but itā€™s different from apples night mode. I had my iPhone on a tripod so I could get a 30 second exposure, otherwise it would default to 5 seconds. Iā€™m not sure if the ReeFlex apps are capable of capturing images like night mode does. Night mode takes three 10 second exposures and creates a 30ā€ exposure.

That 2x telephoto lens made by ReeFlex is the best I have ever used! Iā€™m very impressed with it. Now I want the skies around here to clear up so I can go out to a dark location and do more astronomy with itā€¦ I hope I answered your question well enough. Any other questions?

Link:

https://reeflexstore.com/en-us/products/g-series-telephoto-60mm

The exposure time shows 10 seconds, but the iPhone actually exposed for 30ā€.

IMG_9427.png

Deifie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
Ah ok, i tought you used the Reeflex app to take the pic. Thanks for the detailed infos. šŸ‘

Reactions: ToddH

Jussy13

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2023
Sureā€¦ I actually used the default iPhone camera in night mode with a Reeflex 2x iPhone external lens attached. I havenā€™t used the Reeflex apps enough yet to compare. Night mode (30 second exposure) was used here. Other third party apps canā€™t shoot in night mode yet. The ā€œEven Longerā€ app is a fantastic app for long exposures but itā€™s different from apples night mode. I had my iPhone on a tripod so I could get a 30 second exposure, otherwise it would default to 5 seconds. Iā€™m not sure if the ReeFlex apps are capable of capturing images like night mode does. Night mode takes three 10 second exposures and creates a 30ā€ exposure.

That 2x telephoto lens made by ReeFlex is the best I have ever used! Iā€™m very impressed with it. Now I want the skies around here to clear up so I can go out to a dark location and do more astronomy with itā€¦ I hope I answered your question well enough. Any other questions?

Link:

https://reeflexstore.com/en-us/products/g-series-telephoto-60mm

The exposure time shows 10 seconds, but the iPhone actually exposed for 30ā€.

View attachment 2377734
its clearly worth the money. do you have the case that the lens attaches to as well?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
its clearly worth the money. do you have the case that the lens attaches to as well?
Yes, I do. The case is built fairly well. Itā€™s sturdy. I got the carbon fiber model. I have another order on the way for an additional 2X tele converter lens and the 110Ā° wide lens because I have two iPhones that I sometimes use together so, when you purchase the bundle, you save some money. That G series 2X telephoto is the best that Iā€™ve ever seen or used. Iā€™ve tried other brands, , beastgrip, & Shiftcam, none of those are as good as the G series from Reeflex! Although itā€™s just a plain Jane photo, this image was taken with my 15 Pro max with the G series 2X telephoto, notice how sharp it is and thereā€™s no distortion in the corners. Sharp all the way across and it does fantastic for portrait work. this lens practically lives on my iPhone lol it is a bit heavy. Iā€™ll admit and it does throw your phone off Balance somewhat I usually put my left hand index finger underneath the lens to support the phone when taking horizontal photos. This G series 2X telephoto gives the main wide camera more reach with 48 megapixel resolution and equivalent to a 50mm lens on 35 mm format.

IMG_4795.jpeg

Jussy13

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2023
Yes, I do. The case is built fairly well. Itā€™s sturdy. I got the carbon fiber model. I have another order on the way for an additional 2X tele converter lens and the 110Ā° wide lens because I have two iPhones that I sometimes use together so, when you purchase the bundle, you save some money. That G series 2X telephoto is the best that Iā€™ve ever seen or used. Iā€™ve tried other brands, , beastgrip, & Shiftcam, none of those are as good as the G series from Reeflex! Although itā€™s just a plain Jane photo, this image was taken with my 15 Pro max with the G series 2X telephoto, notice how sharp it is and thereā€™s no distortion in the corners. Sharp all the way across and it does fantastic for portrait work. this lens practically lives on my iPhone lol it is a bit heavy. Iā€™ll admit and it does throw your phone off Balance somewhat I usually put my left hand index finger underneath the lens to support the phone when taking horizontal photos. This G series 2X telephoto gives the main wide camera more reach with 48 megapixel resolution and equivalent to a 50mm lens on 35 mm format.

View attachment 2377921
right on, makes sense to me. ive been dying to get an one of these types of lenses for a bit now, guess we know what i am going for by the end of the year!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.