Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
If on ATT's network, we simply need to hope and pray ATT and Samsung offer us the Pie OS, right?

There is no other way, to obtain this, unless you're on pure Google, like a Pixel, no?
I suppose the same for the S9+...

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
If on ATT's network, we simply need to hope and pray ATT and Samsung offer us the Pie OS, right?

There is no other way, to obtain this, unless you're on pure Google, like a Pixel, no?
I suppose the same for the S9+...

You could root a phone and get Android Pie with a new rom if you're desperate now. Android P should be available on Samsung devices next April 2019 probably.

Pixels, OnePlus devices, Essential phones, and some other devices do offer Android P now.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Yes, carriers are terrible at getting updates out. On the Note 8 with AT&T we are still on 8.0

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Often times, Samsung phones would get a new Android version when Google is close to announce the next version (in this case, Android Q). Case in point, many Samsung phones started getting Oreo when P was close to get announced.

And this is not new. So anybody buying a Samsung shouldn’t be surprised at all as it’s been the case for years. Besides, personally I don’t see what one wants from P (notch support? Samsung has no notch anyway). The monthly security patches are more important imo.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Often times, Samsung phones would get a new Android version when Google is close to announce the next version (in this case, Android Q). Case in point, many Samsung phones started getting Oreo when P was close to get announced.

And this is not new. So anybody buying a Samsung shouldn’t be surprised at all as it’s been the case for years. Besides, personally I don’t see what one wants from P (notch support? Samsung has no notch anyway). The monthly security patches are more important imo.

https://www.androidcentral.com/android-pie-actually-fixes-smartphones-biggest-problem-battery-life

Pie added more than just notch support.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I tend to agree with you. While Pie might have some enhancements for stock Android most of the core Android apps are already being updated. Then the Samsung skin already has a lot of enhancements you won't find in Pie.
But I would expect the S9 and Note 9 to get Pie maybe around March.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Project Treble. Flaws that Google will not address in pre-9.0. Sammoble, Android Central, have good reviews - Pie or Note 9.

Yes Samsung has a history of slow and late updates. That's a problem. One Essential and Google address. They matter to some. And some spend all year fixing their Dot Zero release. 8.0 needed 8.1 too to solve core problems bugs issues. That patching and app updates or a security update patch cannot.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Then the Samsung skin already has a lot of enhancements you won't find in Pie.
This is why I'm perfectly okay with my Note9 not getting Pie right away. There's more than enough features that I wanted here already on Samsung's Oreo. Having used stock Pie on the Essential phone, I can't really think of anything that I'm missing. It would be interesting to see how the Note9 battery life could be with the adaptive battery settings in Pie, but the battery life is already plenty good as-is for me.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Project Treble. Flaws that Google will not address in pre-9.0. Sammoble, Android Central, have good reviews - Pie or Note 9.

Yes Samsung has a history of slow and late updates. That's a problem. One Essential and Google address. They matter to some. And some spend all year fixing their Dot Zero release. 8.0 needed 8.1 too to solve core problems bugs issues. That patching and app updates or a security update patch cannot.
I wouldn’t say updates are slow or late on Samsung devices. They have been pushing out updates on the same general schedule for years. That is the schedule. You know when you buy a Samsung phone that you’re gonna get the latest version of android 7-8 months after google release it. There are no suprises. It is what it is.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I wouldn’t say updates are slow or late on Samsung devices. They have been pushing out updates on the same general schedule for years. That is the schedule. You know when you buy a Samsung phone that you’re gonna get the latest version of android 7-8 months after google release it. There are no suprises. It is what it is.
And 100s of posts on Android Central scream We want Samsung to be on schedule, last fall when they were months behind. They are doing better lately. But not religiously.

I was on Oreo beta and carriers often are slow, or unlocked get updates even later.

I hope when 9.1 is ready so is Samsung. All reasons why Treble is to address a real, huge, problem.

Reactions: 5105973

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
And 100s of posts on Android Central scream We want Samsung to be on schedule, last fall when they were months behind. They are doing better lately. But not religiously.

I was on Oreo beta and carriers often are slow, or unlocked get updates even later.

I hope when 9.1 is ready so is Samsung. All reasons why Treble is to address a real, huge, problem.
But they don’t have the same schedule as google. This has never been the case. Their schedule is 7-8 months after google release it. This has always been the case.

I don’t believe project treble will do much. The nature of android can’t be changed.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
You could root a phone and get Android Pie with a new rom if you're desperate now. Android P should be available on Samsung devices next April 2019 probably.

Pixels, OnePlus devices, Essential phones, and some other devices do offer Android P now.
With the S9(+) you do not need to root to get Pie as far as I understand because they are treble ready phones it can be loaded but you will loose some of the Samsung features on the camera etc

As others have noted Samsung is already feature rich so gains are limited

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
With the S9(+) you do not need to root to get Pie as far as I understand because they are treble ready phones it can be loaded but you will loose some of the Samsung features on the camera etc

As others have noted Samsung is already feature rich so gains are limited
I agree.....stock Android on the S9 Plus would be a down grade imho. You would lose a lot of features the Samsung Experience skin has.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I agree.....stock Android on the S9 Plus would be a down grade imho. You would lose a lot of features the Samsung Experience skin has.

I wish we had the option to get the high end phones on Android One. I would easily be more interested in the Galaxy line w/ Pure Android over Samsung's skins.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wish we had the option to get the high end phones on Android One. I would easily be more interested in the Galaxy line w/ Pure Android over Samsung's skins.
There are a lot of phones that would meet those requirements though. Pixels and OnePlus are great phones running stock or close to stock on them.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
There are a lot of phones that would meet those requirements though. Pixels and OnePlus are great phones running stock or close to stock on them.

Too many compromises with the Pixels and OnePlus devices for my tastes. I would rather spend $ on an iPhone if I buy a Pixel priced device. I rather not give my $ to a less-than secure OEM like OnePlus.

Samsung is known for being a bit more enterprise friendly and secure than other Android OEMs. Samsung Pay and the Samsung camera features could be included on Android One though. Motorola manages to sprinkle in some of its better software features in its Android One devices too.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
A Galaxy 9 with stock Android will not have Samsung Pay or all of the camera enhancements. Those are Samsung Experience features.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
A Galaxy 9 with stock Android will not have Samsung Pay or all of the camera enhancements. Those are Samsung Experience features.

Never say never. Samsung software engineers could make it happen.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Samsung is more likely to go all-in on Tizen before it uses pure android. Samsung Experience is far more refined than TouchWiz ever was in my personal experience. It feels more cohesive as a collective whole. It's not everyone's flavor and I get that, but personally, I don't know that I would want pure android on my Note. I'd feel like it's being held back.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Android One phones can use a manufacturers camera and Samsung Pay is just an app. MST probably wouldn't work, sure, but that's probably not long for this world anyway.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
They could do a lot of things...but that doesn't mean they will. They have no incentive.

They already made a cheap Android One device. Theoretically, no incentive to do that. Yet, they did. Perhaps Google has more leverage than we thought?

Samsung worked with Google Play Edition devices as well. Samsung might make $ off future non Samsung experience software devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.