Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Looked but didn't press the preorder button yet. Didn't see any configurations like color or storage so probably wait till the official release to think about ordering which at that point they'll likely be sold out for a while anyway.

Kind of thinking about the 6 XL also but flagships are almost a waste of cash for me

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Looked but didn't press the preorder button yet. Didn't see any configurations like color or storage so probably wait till the official release to think about ordering which at that point they'll likely be sold out for a while anyway.

Kind of thinking about the 6 XL also but flagships are almost a waste of cash for me

They are only offering one color and one storage option. It’s pretty clear they don’t want to push this phone super hard and risk Pixel 6/6 Pro sales.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Lots of reports coming out that the Pixel 5A overheats really easily when recording 4k video.

Google gonna Google. Looks like they haven't learned from their mistakes on the Pixel 5.

Reactions: Jason2000

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Here's an interesting thought I had;

What if Google renamed the "a" series back to the Nexus naming, but of course still keep the Pixel name for the ultra high end, best of the best. Have the Pixel phone on par with the iPhone Pro Max's and Samsung Galaxy Ultra's.

But get the Nexus name back, and not Pixel 5a, name it the Nexus 7 or something, and make it just slightly better, with wireless charging, and 90hz screen, and sell it for like $499 / $549.

What do you think?

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
Here's an interesting thought I had;

What if Google renamed the "a" series back to the Nexus naming, but of course still keep the Pixel name for the ultra high end, best of the best. Have the Pixel phone on par with the iPhone Pro Max's and Samsung Galaxy Ultra's.

But get the Nexus name back, and not Pixel 5a, name it the Nexus 7 or something, and make it just slightly better, with wireless charging, and 90hz screen, and sell it for like $499 / $549.

What do you think?
Nexus 7 tablet from 2013 called and sounded jealous. No but on a serious note. That "a" ending makes no sense to me so why not. Your idea got me feeling nostalgic so started up the old Nexus 5 and that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. ?

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
They are only offering one color and one storage option. It’s pretty clear they don’t want to push this phone super hard and risk Pixel 6/6 Pro sales.
Which is why they need to stop releasing phones so close to one another. They got the 3a/3a XL just right.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Mine shipped today on Fedex Priority Overnight. Of course Fedex's website for tracking is down, so maybe I get it tomorrow?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Got home tonight and my new phone and case were waiting for me :)

Curious how do I enroll this phone in the Android 12 beta? I checked the Google beta page, and it only showed my old Pixel 4 XL on the list, which is already on the beta, not my new 5a.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Got home tonight and my new phone and case were waiting for me :)

Curious how do I enroll this phone in the Android 12 beta? I checked the Google beta page, and it only showed my old Pixel 4 XL on the list, which is already on the beta, not my new 5a.

Doesn’t look like they have added it to the official devices list yet.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Does Google need to flip a switch or something to activate the 5a on their servers? Phones comes with the June security patch, and running system update doesn't find the latest update. And this phone is not on the Android beta 12 program yet, doesn't show up.

Wake up Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.