Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Does Google need to flip a switch or something to activate the 5a on their servers? Phones comes with the June security patch, and running system update doesn't find the latest update. And this phone is not on the Android beta 12 program yet, doesn't show up.

Wake up Google.

Lots of people on reddit reporting trouble receiving SMS too, with or without RCS.

Sounds like they rushed the launch but I’m sure they’ll sort it out.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Here's an interesting thought I had;

What if Google renamed the "a" series back to the Nexus naming, but of course still keep the Pixel name for the ultra high end, best of the best. Have the Pixel phone on par with the iPhone Pro Max's and Samsung Galaxy Ultra's.

But get the Nexus name back, and not Pixel 5a, name it the Nexus 7 or something, and make it just slightly better, with wireless charging, and 90hz screen, and sell it for like $499 / $549.

What do you think?

I'm all for that if it also would mean broader availability like the Nexus series used to have. I could buy Nexus phones straight from the Finnish Google online store, but none of the Pixels have been available there and Google's also made it increasingly difficult to buy one from one of the few EU countries like Germany where Pixels are actually available.

I have a Pixel 5, but I cringe every time I think about how much I paid for it while still not even getting 5G. For after all, the current options here are to order from a French retailer and potentially have to go through a mess if you need warranty service or buy one (like I did) from a local well-known retailer who've unofficially imported them and also provides warranty coverage. That just comes with a +200€ markup.

However, I'm not holding my breath as with the 5a Google went for even narrower availability. Someone there doesn't want these devices to have any meaningful sales numbers.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
I'm all for that if it also would mean broader availability like the Nexus series used to have. I could buy Nexus phones straight from the Finnish Google online store, but none of the Pixels have been available there and Google's also made it increasingly difficult to buy one from one of the few EU countries like Germany where Pixels are actually available.

I have a Pixel 5, but I cringe every time I think about how much I paid for it while still not even getting 5G. For after all, the current options here are to order from a French retailer and potentially have to go through a mess if you need warranty service or buy one (like I did) from a local well-known retailer who've unofficially imported them and also provides warranty coverage. That just comes with a +200€ markup.

However, I'm not holding my breath as with the 5a Google went for even narrower availability. Someone there doesn't want these devices to have any meaningful sales numbers.
Make friends with a travelling American

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yikes there’s a couple of issues to test for while you can still return the phone:

In short, a touch screen issue that’s probably software related and a problem with normal camera use overheating the phone to the point of shutdown. I had this problem, though not to the point of shutdown, with my Pixel 3XL on occasion, and my HTC-10 and one of my old Samsungs. ☹️

I’m hoping for a Pixel 6 Pro so this makes me nervous. Good luck to those of you with the 5a. I’m sorry to share Debbie Downer news and I hope it’s not widespread but I thought you all should be aware, if you hadn’t heard already.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I haven't had this problem, but I have only had the phone for around a day...

Edited to add: I made a 10 minute video in the sun here and it seemed fine....?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
I have the 3a, I love it! I wish Google would've launched the 5a in Canada. I want a stock Android phone with good updates and a bigger battery. I would've snagged one this Christmas! Pixel 6 & 6 XL are out of my price range..... (Under $600 CAD) Guess I'll have to settle for OnePlus, Nokia, or TCL.

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
Yikes there’s a couple of issues to test for while you can still return the phone:

In short, a touch screen issue that’s probably software related and a problem with normal camera use overheating the phone to the point of shutdown. I had this problem, though not to the point of shutdown, with my Pixel 3XL on occasion, and my HTC-10 and one of my old Samsungs. ☹️

I’m hoping for a Pixel 6 Pro so this makes me nervous. Good luck to those of you with the 5a. I’m sorry to share Debbie Downer news and I hope it’s not widespread but I thought you all should be aware, if you hadn’t heard already.
Going to need more than good luck with Google...lol. They do not know how to do phone hardware. I am interested in the Pixel 6 but will definitely wait this time around for all the problems to show up. It is concerning their hardware team did not notice the overheating issues or they just ignored it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Going to need more than good luck with Google...lol. They do not know how to do phone hardware. I am interested in the Pixel 6 but will definitely wait this time around for all the problems to show up. It is concerning their hardware team did not notice the overheating issues or they just ignored it.

I would hope new chip with new hardware would mean massive differences.

With the hype I expect google to deliver

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013

I see that Verkkokauppa has it on their website for 999 Euros. Not sure what availability is like.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I see that Verkkokauppa has it on their website for 999 Euros. Not sure what availability is like.

That 999 Euros is typical for Verkkokauppa with products where they aren’t quite sure about the final price as availability is still a question (and its original price is well below $1000).

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
So I put my SIM card in the 5a yesterday and truly started using it, and went to the Zac Brown Band concert last night took some great photos.

I have to say using stock Android again is such a pleasure and joy over iOS, just everything's better in using the phone. The gesture system is way batter on the Pixel than the iPhone, I like being able to also swipe back when taping and sliding on the right side of the screen. Just navigating around the phone is so much faster and more streamlined and just better on a Pixel vs iPhone in regards to gesture navigation. And of course swiping down on the screen drops down the notification shade which is always best, on the iPhone when you swipe down this strange weird search screen pops up, I just never understood what that's for.

No notch is great :) The little pin hole camera in the top corner is barely even noticeable, and looks so much better than the large hideous notch on my 12 Pro Max.

AoD ( Always on Display ) My goodness this is such a useful important feature all smartphones should have. iPhone absolutely needs to have it already.

Voice to text. Holy cow LOL. The Pixel does it ten million times better than the iPhone. I use voice to text a lot for texting and stuff, and the iPhone was pretty bad in getting my conversation accurate or correct, where the Pixel gets darn near perfect every time. Just seems Pixel phones handle voice command stuff way better. And thank the lord, back to saying " Hey Google" to search something or ask a question and it's instant fast and gets me an answer on anything.

Set default apps, yep no problem on the Pixel.

Drag an app icon and place it anywhere I feel lkike it on the screen. Uh hello Apple.

But...I still have my iPhone 12 Pro Max obviously and the one thing I can't argue is the design and build quality, this 12 Pro Max is built like a tank, and everything is so high quality, the screen tech is amazing such a perfect display, and the flat no curved edge is best. Speakers are great. Haptic vibration is great. The large size screen on the 12PM is amazing. Holding it in hand feels so hefty and the flat backs feels solid. Overall the iPhone 12 Pro Max phone is just a very well built high quality smartphone. But...it runs iOS ugh, it's just not my cup of tea, and feels so outdated and not well designed, but the iPhone hardware and quality is so great though.

I really like this iPhone 12 Pro Max size, the display is gorgeous, the flat screen the best. The quality high end build of this phone is superb and nothing I’ve seen Google produce with their Nexus / Pixel line has ever matchthe quality of this 12 PM.

But iOS. Ugh.

I wish I could install a Pixel ROM on the iPhone 12 Pro Max LOL

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So I put my SIM card in the 5a yesterday and truly started using it, and went to the Zac Brown Band concert last night took some great photos.

I have to say using stock Android again is such a pleasure and joy over iOS, just everything's better in using the phone. The gesture system is way batter on the Pixel than the iPhone, I like being able to also swipe back when taping and sliding on the right side of the screen. Just navigating around the phone is so much faster and more streamlined and just better on a Pixel vs iPhone in regards to gesture navigation. And of course swiping down on the screen drops down the notification shade which is always best, on the iPhone when you swipe down this strange weird search screen pops up, I just never understood what that's for.

No notch is great :) The little pin hole camera in the top corner is barely even noticeable, and looks so much better than the large hideous notch on my 12 Pro Max.

AoD ( Always on Display ) My goodness this is such a useful important feature all smartphones should have. iPhone absolutely needs to have it already.

Voice to text. Holy cow LOL. The Pixel does it ten million times better than the iPhone. I use voice to text a lot for texting and stuff, and the iPhone was pretty bad in getting my conversation accurate or correct, where the Pixel gets darn near perfect every time. Just seems Pixel phones handle voice command stuff way better. And thank the lord, back to saying " Hey Google" to search something or ask a question and it's instant fast and gets me an answer on anything.

Drag an app icon and place it anywhere I feel lkike it on the screen. Uh hello Apple.

But...I still have my iPhone 12 Pro Max obviously and the one thing I can't argue is the design and build quality, this 12 Pro Max is built like a tank, and everything is so high quality, the screen tech is amazing such a perfect display, and the flat no curved edge is best. Speakers are great. Haptic vibration is great. The large size screen on the 12PM is amazing. Holding it in hand feels so hefty and the flat backs feels solid. Overall the iPhone 12 Pro Max phone is just a very well built high quality smartphone. But...it runs iOS ugh, it's just not my cup of tea, and feels so outdated and not well designed, but the iPhone hardware and quality is so great though.

I really like this iPhone 12 Pro Max size, the display is gorgeous, the flat screen the best. The quality high end build of this phone is superb and nothing I’ve seen Google produce with their Nexus / Pixel line has ever matchthe quality of this 12 PM.

But iOS. Ugh.

My response was the laughing emoji because so often my husband and I will wish we could create our own phone that would take the best features from all the phones we love. And we wonder why the manufacturers who can design these things just don’t. I understand sometimes patents stand in the way. But often it’s just inexplicable why things are the way they are. It makes me wonder if the people who design or manage the design of these phones actually use smart phones. Let alone the ones they’re selling. I’m hoping now Google is at least on the path to eventually making something that has flagship level quality. Maybe the 6 will offer that. Maybe not. I guess I’ll find out. I’m not expecting miracles but if they’re charging as much as Osterloh hints they will it better be reliable.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The thing is with the upcoming Pixel 6 line is more like a Samsung galaxy phone running stock android and that’s good and bad but to me bad because I hate Samsung phones I’ll take an iPhone over a galaxy phone anyway and I’m not an iOS fan.

Curved edge displays suck. And the rear camera bump looks horrible, and not just the design but cases look super weird with the camera bump and holding and laying on a table could be awkward.

I’d rather see more of a iPhone clone be the Pixel 6. Meaning flat squared edges and FLAT display.

If anything I think the Pixel 4 XL was the best designed and great looking phone from Google. Just ditch the big forehead and make it a mix of the Pixel 5 + 4 XL and it’d be a winner.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The thing is with the upcoming Pixel 6 line is more like a Samsung galaxy phone running stock android and that’s good and bad but to me bad because I hate Samsung phones I’ll take an iPhone over a galaxy phone anyway and I’m not an iOS fan.

Curved edge displays suck. And the rear camera bump looks horrible, and not just the design but cases look super weird with the camera bump and holding and laying on a table could be awkward.

I’d rather see more of a iPhone clone be the Pixel 6. Meaning flat squared edges and FLAT display.

If anything I think the Pixel 4 XL was the best designed and great looking phone from Google. Just ditch the big forehead and make it a mix of the Pixel 5 + 4 XL and it’d be a winner.
I agree the looks of it, while interesting, and to me not bad looking aesthetically, are wildly impractical. I would have preferred to keep to the plain functional design they’ve been using. The Pixel 4 XL looked fine to me. They went very Samsung for this one. I am okay with it, but it’s not my first choice.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009

But iOS. Ugh.

Nice rundown but how can you hate on Spotlight search when swiping down on the Home Screen on iOS? That’s one of the things I found myself missing immediately when I put the Pixel Launcher on my LG G8 the other day. I don’t pull up the App Library on iOS, I just swipe down and tap a few letters to find the app I want to open. It’s so much quicker than navigating the UI and a huge advantage that iOS has over Android. I have a single Home Screen on my phone with some commonly-used apps and everything else is in the App Drawer to keep clutter to a minimum.

I can use the Google Search bar to find apps but it doesn’t search everything else on my phone like emails and contacts too.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
All my years owning smartphones, I've never once needed to "search" for an app. The most common ones I use are on my home screen right there for me. And any others I don't use as much I just pull up the app drawer and they right there.

Swipe down search menu thing is one of my top dislikes and hated feature on iPhone. To me completely useless and something I never use.

I much prefer Androids way of swiping down to pull things closer to me to tap and interact with.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Nice rundown but how can you hate on Spotlight search when swiping down on the Home Screen on iOS? That’s one of the things I found myself missing immediately when I put the Pixel Launcher on my LG G8 the other day. I don’t pull up the App Library on iOS, I just swipe down and tap a few letters to find the app I want to open. It’s so much quicker than navigating the UI and a huge advantage that iOS has over Android. I have a single Home Screen on my phone with some commonly-used apps and everything else is in the App Drawer to keep clutter to a minimum.

I can use the Google Search bar to find apps but it doesn’t search everything else on my phone like emails and contacts too.
Yep same with me. I never started using that feature until recently, but now I'm on my Flip 3 from my 12 Mini and god, I miss it so much.

I always thought it was a stupid, pointless feature but it's genius.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
All my years owning smartphones, I've never once needed to "search" for an app. The most common ones I use are on my home screen right there for me. And any others I don't use as much I just pull up the app drawer and they right there.

Swipe down search menu thing is one of my top dislikes and hated feature on iPhone. To me completely useless and something I never use.

I much prefer Androids way of swiping down to pull things closer to me to tap and interact with.

I can swipe the middle of the screen and tap two letters (about all it takes) and hit return to open faster than I can pull up the App Library or find the app on the Home Screen (doubly so if I’m doing other stuff).

I have over 100 apps on my phone, ain’t nobody got time to scroll through a bunch of stuff.

I do the same thing on Windows 10. Windows key, tap letters, hit enter. Can’t remember the last time I actually navigated the Start Menu. Same procedure on Linux. I have never found a faster way to open apps.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Yep same with me. I never started using that feature until recently, but now I'm on my Flip 3 from my 12 Mini and god, I miss it so much.

I always thought it was a stupid, pointless feature but it's genius.

It doesn’t add the swipe down functionality but the Sesame app from the Play Store turns the search bar into a Spotlight-lite. Just discovered it today. Can search a ton of stuff.

Reactions: Aneres11

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
It doesn’t add the swipe down functionality but the Sesame app from the Play Store turns the search bar into a Spotlight-lite. Just discovered it today. Can search a ton of stuff.

Oh wow… found my way to the Sesame subreddit and it looks like Android 12 is adding Spotlight style searching to the Pixel launcher with an open API for 3rd party use too.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I can swipe the middle of the screen and tap two letters (about all it takes) and hit return to open faster than I can pull up the App Library or find the app on the Home Screen (doubly so if I’m doing other stuff).

I have over 100 apps on my phone, ain’t nobody got time to scroll through a bunch of stuff.

I do the same thing on Windows 10. Windows key, tap letters, hit enter. Can’t remember the last time I actually navigated the Start Menu. Same procedure on Linux. I have never found a faster way to open apps.
Yea but Android you can make your pages how you want. You have your main homepage and make as many of those as you want.
I have about three with one being the main. I put apps on the other two I use the most. So you don't have to scroll thru every app you have and I have a little over 200 of them.
I mean how much faster is it to do your way than just swipe once left or right and then click the app you want? Time isn't that critical lol.

Don't know if Apple let's you do that as I haven't had a iPhone for 10-11 years. But it's all subjective. I don't prefer the Always on Display like he does. I prefer my screen to be off when I'm not using it.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

My husband accesses his apps that way. I don't and it drives him nuts to watch me poking around looking for my apps. Lol I know how to use it, but for some reason my brain just doesn't automatically go to that solution. I'll only do it if I can't find an app. Most of the time it's an app I rarely use or deleted and forgot I deleted it. Most of what I want to use is organized and right where I expect it to be and ingrained in muscle memory.

It just occurred to me my husband has hundreds of apps like you do. I have only about 50-75, depending on which of my phones we are talking about, aside from stock apps.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
AoD ( Always on Display ) is a major feature I love.

If your phone is sitting on the table and you walk by its nice to see if you have a missed text or missed call.

But with an iPhone, walking by it laying on the table it looks like the phone is turned off and no clue if you have a missed text or anything.

I just like the AoD idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.