Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I was just able to trade in my cracked-screen Google Pixel 3a for $300 when buying the 6a, bringing the price of the 6a to $150 + tax. I was strongly considering switching to iPhone, but it's just an absurd bargain.

Plus, in everyday usage of the phone, Gboard and universal back gesture for navigation are just features that are too good to give up... still would like to try an iPhone sometime to see if it's really easier to use, though, especially with my new MBA M2.
What's really odd is the trade in price for the Pixel 6. Google was only going to give me $70. You would think that phone would fetch more but perhaps it will when they release the Pixel 7's. And you got a really good deal, congrats. I too have never owned an iPhone. what holds me back is Google's Call Screener. It has filtered out 99.8% of my Robo and Spam calls.

cosmogrammar

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2022
What's really odd is the trade in price for the Pixel 6. Google was only going to give me $70. You would think that phone would fetch more but perhaps it will when they release the Pixel 7's. And you got a really good deal, congrats. I too have never owned an iPhone. what holds me back is Google's Call Screener. It has filtered out 99.8% of my Robo and Spam calls.

Yeah, I would only have gotten something like $50 if I traded the 3a in when buying the Pixel 6. It's a pretty insane promotion, especially because I think I'd actually prefer the 6a for its slightly smaller size...

Call Screener indeed is another key feature.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
A Google phone with $lam$ung radio (on all 6's and 7's too, apparently). Hard pass.

I'll stick with far more reliable/proven Qualcomm radios (and fingerprint recognition too!) on other platforms.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Who makes the best radios and which androids have them?
Considering even Apple is paying their dues to Qualcomm, it seems that Qualcomm currently have the best modem all around, although feature wise on the mid-range and lower SoCs, it's still behind mediatek (eg for 5G DSDS).

To get Qualcomm, it's easy. Just get a phone with Snapdragon SoC in it, as they have built-in modem as well.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Not iPhones lol xd
Indeed! This is a major reason why I never got into iPhones. Too freaking pricy (at least for my tastes). All of the iPhones that are discounted enough are 3 to 4 generations old, so they'd take some performance hits.* However Apple stuff has come down in pricing, so that's been nice for people who are more price conscious. Like the iPhone SE starting at $400, and the 9th gen iPad at $330 (which you can get now at $300, which I also snagged around that price earlier on). Another thing that helps is I've upped my budget for cell phones in recent years. $300 used to be my limit (I was buying $100 to $200 phones just a mere 3 years ago), but have since upped it to $500. That's how I got my Pixel 6! :)

I was tempted to get the P6pro at $650 (after $250 off), but figured..
1) It may be too big (TBH, the P6a probably would've been a better fit, but I figured let's spoil ourselves more this time around)
2) The outward curving screens still weird me out
3) Let's stick with our budget

* that said, I did entertain getting a used iPhone 6 or Iph6+ as an iPod Touch substitute when the IpT6, and later I would learn the IpT7 would still have the same, dinky, 4" screen. I never seriously got around to it. This day in age, 9th gen iPad vs. IpT7, both for the same price? Former is a much better value. I no longer put a premium on being able to game on the go (not with such a small screen at any rate)

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yep, love the call screen feature.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Who makes the best radios and which androids have them?
Qualcomm is regarded as best atm probably. But in term of call quality it's Motorola, they had a lot patents on radio tech. The microphone quality from past experience is excellent. But I haven't owned one for a long time, not really a fan of Lenovo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.