Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pixelmator Pro 3.5.8 has gone live on the Mac App Store, and the latest update to the popular image editing app brings the ability to edit text in PDFs, along with a handful of other notable additions.

pixelmator-pro-pdf-text-editing.jpg

Pixelmator recently added support to the app for vector PDFs, which allows users to import image, shape, and text elements in the portable document format as separate layers.

With the newest version, this support has been expanded so that users can edit imported text as regular text layers. In practice, this means existing text in PDFs can be more easily replaced, formatted, and styled using Pixelmator Pro tools. As the developers explain:
Typically, text in PDF documents is not directly editable. Instead, it's stored as vector shapes to keep documents looking consistent across various platforms and apps. To make text editable again, Pixelmator Pro extracts various embedded data from the original PDF, allowing it to recover the original text, fonts, and formatting. Even if some of these elements are missing, for instance, if the original font is not installed on your Mac, you can still import the text, select a different font, and continue with your edits.
In addition, the new text editing abilities mean users can seamlessly export Apple Keynote and Pages projects and continue editing them in Pixelmator Pro. All text remains fully editable in its original fonts, including the SF Pro font that is used throughout the Apple ecosystem.

Elsewhere in this update, the Style tool has been improved to simplify the creation of custom outlines around text layers. Users now have the option to add strokes inside, within, or outside of the text, choose from various stroke ends and corners, and also add dashed strokes.

Pixelmator Pro 3.5.8 also includes 12 new templates for web, social media, and more. All of the templates include a set of alternative color palettes for adjusting the theme to custom requirements.

Pixelmator Pro is available exclusively from the Mac App Store as a free update for existing users and $49.99 for new customers. A free seven-day trial of the software with no restrictions is also available on the Pixelmator website.

Article Link: Pixelmator Pro Adds Support for Editing Text in PDFs

Last edited:

stainless

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Colorado
At $60 a month for the Adobe suite, or $23 a month just for Photoshop… Pixelmator and Affinity Photo will be just fine and yes, eventually overtake Photoshop. The ONLY thing keep Adobe alive is Print (CMYK) and Enterprise, period. So many people are turning to other solutions and this will creep into enterprise eventually.

Fun opinion, Adobe should have NEVER been able to buy Macromedia!! That was THE WORST MISTAKE ever allowed!

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Can anyone recommend Photomator from the same devs? Been eying it but it’s quite expensive for my needs.

Reactions: Siledu

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
As soon as one of these Lightroom replacements incorporates both HDR and Panoramas into their software, I will buy. As of now, you need to buy multiple programs to do these tasks (I'm looking at you, Pixelmator, Affinity, DxO Photolab, ACDSee, Luminar, and OnOneRAW). Until then I'm on the last non-subscription version of LR.

MacRumorUser78

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
I bought Pixelmator Pro a while back as a PSE replacement.

Anyway I opened a multipage document and it only "imported" one page and no option to save as pdf. The page was editable, but based on the headline I expected to open and save as pdf.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Has anyone used both Affinity Designer and Pixelmator Pro? I'm curious how they compare.

I already own the Affinity suite, but am looking for a replacement after Affinity was sold off to Canva.
First of all, Designer is a Vector based app akin to Adobe Illustrator. I'm using both. Affinity Photo is far more robust than Pixelmator Pro.

DestructoTim

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
I bought Pixelmator Pro a while back as a PSE replacement.

Anyway I opened a multipage document and it only "imported" one page and no option to save as pdf. The page was editable, but based on the headline I expected to open and save as pdf.
I just opened a multi-page PDF in the new version of Pixelmator to verify what you are saying. When you first try to open a PDF in Pixelmator, it has you select which page of the PDF you want to edit. I tried multiple ways to select more than one page at once, but as far as I can tell, that isn't and option. That is a major bummer as most PDFs I have worked with are multi-page. However on the second part of your issue, I did not have the same experience. I chose "File" in the top menu, and then "Export". In the export menu it does allow me to export as a PDF.

So unfortunately it seems the only way this will work with multi-page PDFs, is to edit them all individually, then export them all individually, and then outside of Pixelmator recombine them all (probably easiest to do with Mac's built in "Preview" app.). Hopefully the ability to edit all pages at once will be added in the next or near future update, because as is, it is very impractical to use for document editing. Probably people who want to just pull graphics out of a single PDF page would find this useful for now.

DestructoTim

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
Can anyone recommend Photomator from the same devs? Been eying it but it’s quite expensive for my needs.
I cannot give you a recommendation based on use, as I am not a pro user, but I have heard pro users saying it worked for them. As far as the price, look out for sales. They usually have back to school or Black Friday sales. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but I know it was nowhere near the $100 price they have it listed for. I can't recall but I might have even been grandfathered in from buying the iOS version. But anyway, don't pay $100. I am definitely happy having this software for a lifetime though.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Is Pixelmator a kind of mix between Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo?
I use Affinity Designer almost daily, and mostly to edit PDFs, so this feature sounds nice, I sometimes have some strange quirks with Affinity Designer when importing PDFs.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
At $60 a month for the Adobe suite, or $23 a month just for Photoshop… Pixelmator and Affinity Photo will be just fine and yes, eventually overtake Photoshop. The ONLY thing keep Adobe alive is Print (CMYK) and Enterprise, period. So many people are turning to other solutions and this will creep into enterprise eventually.

Fun opinion, Adobe should have NEVER been able to buy Macromedia!! That was THE WORST MISTAKE ever allowed!

The professionals I know are deep in PS and Adobe - it's not going anywhere. And even though it's not cheap, the monthly fee made the other Adobe products seem affordable.

As soon as one of these Lightroom replacements incorporates both HDR and Panoramas into their software, I will buy. As of now, you need to buy multiple programs to do these tasks (I'm looking at you, Pixelmator, Affinity, DxO Photolab, ACDSee, Luminar, and OnOneRAW). Until then I'm on the last non-subscription version of LR.
LR is a full DAM and develop solution. For people who don't want to build their own pipeline, it's going to remain the dominant solution. Adobe is also killing it adding features.

Reactions: lysingur

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

I own Pixelmator, Photomator and Affinity Photo after using Lightroom and Photoshop for years. I mainly use Photomator these days and occasionally Pixelmator and Affinity for something requiring more power. They work well for my current needs. However, the idea that they will eventually replace Adobe will not be for a long, long time - if ever. The current market share of these competitors is a minuscule slice of the market and doesn't look to be changing any time soon. People have been predicting the demise of Adobe since they switched to the subscription model and it just isn't happening. In fact, their revenue continues a very robust growth trajectory.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
It only allows you to import a selected page. Just one page at a time. It should be by design. It's not a real PDF editor anyway/

1712953917554.png

After editing, just export to PDF again.

1712954040286.png

In order to replace the original page, you can use the System Viewer. Select and delete the original page and insert from the exported PDF file.

1712954167365.png

Attachments

• 1712953779856.png
    1712953779856.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: MacHeritage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.