Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Have and prefer the original Pixelmator as well.

Pixelmator Pro, let alone Photoshop, is too much for my needs and the original Pixelmator really worked well. Wish it was still supported.

Have you tried Photomator?

Kevin2055

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2015
At $60 a month for the Adobe suite, or $23 a month just for Photoshop… Pixelmator and Affinity Photo will be just fine and yes, eventually overtake Photoshop. The ONLY thing keep Adobe alive is Print (CMYK) and Enterprise, period. So many people are turning to other solutions and this will creep into enterprise eventually.

Fun opinion, Adobe should have NEVER been able to buy Macromedia!! That was THE WORST MISTAKE ever allowed!
PS and lightroom are just $10/month

MacHeritage

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
I own Pixelmator and Affinity suite. I don't see why anyone would be leaving Affinity for any of the mator apps, even though I love them, since Affinity does way more. It all depends on ones workflow and what they need the software to do. The closest thing to Adobe is Affinity.

I do like Pixelmator, even though I hardly use it now. I'm just too busy using Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher these days.

Now about the update, I'm glad they added this ability. More tool options are never a bad thing! I'm always opening PDF's with Designer, so this would give me another option, if needed.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
PS and lightroom are just $10/month
I know people are opposed to subscription models (I usually am as well), but if you are making money from the software, that’s cheap compared to what outright buying the software cost.

Photoshop was $900 in 1990. The newer CS versions were all $600 - $1000. That means you can subscribe for 5-10 years for the same cost. Sure, you don’t “own” the software but you also get free updates, which you didn’t used to do. Plus, the barrier to entry is a lot lower.

None of this necessarily justifies any of the prices (it doesn’t for me, which is why I use Pixelmator Pro and Affinity’s software), but the subscription model from Adobe is much more reasonably priced than its software used to be.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
At $60 a month for the Adobe suite, or $23 a month just for Photoshop… Pixelmator and Affinity Photo will be just fine and yes, eventually overtake Photoshop. The ONLY thing keep Adobe alive is Print (CMYK) and Enterprise, period. So many people are turning to other solutions and this will creep into enterprise eventually.

Fun opinion, Adobe should have NEVER been able to buy Macromedia!! That was THE WORST MISTAKE ever allowed!
I agree. Freehand and Dreamweaver were excellent.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA

Pixelmator Pro 3.5.8 has gone live on the Mac App Store, and the latest update to the popular image editing app brings the ability to edit text in PDFs, along with a handful of other notable additions.

pixelmator-pro-pdf-text-editing.jpg

Pixelmator recently added support to the app for vector PDFs, which allows users to import image, shape, and text elements in the portable document format as separate layers.

With the newest version, this support has been expanded so that users can edit imported text as regular text layers. In practice, this means existing text in PDFs can be more easily replaced, formatted, and styled using Pixelmator Pro tools. As the developers explain:
In addition, the new text editing abilities mean users can seamlessly export Apple Keynote and Pages projects and continue editing them in Pixelmator Pro. All text remains fully editable in its original fonts, including the SF Pro font that is used throughout the Apple ecosystem.

Elsewhere in this update, the Style tool has been improved to simplify the creation of custom outlines around text layers. Users now have the option to add strokes inside, within, or outside of the text, choose from various stroke ends and corners, and also add dashed strokes.

Pixelmator Pro 3.5.8 also includes 12 new templates for web, social media, and more. All of the templates include a set of alternative color palettes for adjusting the theme to custom requirements.

Pixelmator Pro is available exclusively from the Mac App Store as a free update for existing users and $49.99 for new customers. A free seven-day trial of the software with no restrictions is also available on the Pixelmator website.

Article Link: Pixelmator Pro Adds Support for Editing Text in PDFs
Any idea if the mobile apps will gain the update?

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

There are a few others vying for the title. Comcast buying NBC springs to mind. They basically bribed an FCC chair for that one. As soon as it was approved she went to work for them in a cushy senior executive job.

SBC resurrecting the Sauron-like spirit of AT&T is another one.

Honestly I don't know why all these mergers require approval. The most harmful ones are almost never stopped for exactly the reasons they're supposed to require approval. They're so big and powerful they just buy/bribe/lawyer their way into it anyway.

Reactions: MacHeritage

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
I just tried it and completely butchered a simple PDF. Took over 10 seconds and created over a hundred layers, all the text mushed together. Unusable.

• Haha
Reactions: spicynujac

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I just tried it and completely butchered a simple PDF. Took over 10 seconds and created over a hundred layers, all the text mushed together. Unusable.
I suspect the results will vary a lot depending on how the PDF is structured. Some are laid out in a way that would make editing easy and others are made in a way that was easier generate but may not have any logical organization.

Reactions: wbeasley

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
what program generated the initial PDF?

I've seen a lot of variation in how output is generated by different apps over the years.
As a "standard" PDF is still very much open to poor practices while claiming it produces them.
(One program did nothing more than create an image with a PDF extension. Useless for anything).

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
what program generated the initial PDF?

I've seen a lot of variation in how output is generated by different apps over the years.
As a "standard" PDF is still very much open to poor practices while claiming it produces them.
(One program did nothing more than create an image with a PDF extension. Useless for anything).
It was a PDF someone sent me, exported from Google Docs I believe. Acrobat had no problem in editing and retaining styling and structure, however Pixelmator did. Not complaining though, but it was an extremely simple PDF (just text, headers and bullet lists).

Reactions: wbeasley

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
Mac Preview is pretty good at manipulating PDFs in my experience.

Free on every Mac. It did get a bit harder with Sonoma, but I think you can still change pretty much anything you want on a pdf.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.