Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
interesting, but it seems just like simple speculation to me. I mean if you think about it you can potentially run an OS off anything with a computer chip...but i mean what are you really going to do with Tiger on your PS3???

I think this is one of those things that you say 'see it's possible' with enough tinkering and effort. However at the same time it's not practical at all. Could you do it: maybe. Would you do it: probably not.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
iKWICK7 said:
..... I really don't see it happening.

I agree to a certain extent. I remember hearing somewhere (on macrumors) that apple and sony were collaborating on something to do with the PS3, but i think it had something to do with the iPod.

It would be cool if apple were developing some sort of interface for the PS3 i.e. when u insert a CD and stuff or iTunes for PS3 :D.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I think you guys are all missing the point -- why on earth did Sony release this information? It's not geek speculation, it's an official statement from Sony that the PS/3 can run Tiger.

I think the PS/3 is basically vaporware at this point. Everything Sony does or says about it is in reaction to the XBox 360 ... I even read speculation today that if the XBox 360 bombs this Christmas, Sony may hold back the PS/3 until 2007.

So now here's one more piece of defense from Sony. The XBox 360 could become a living room PC? Well, our box can run Linux and OS-X, we're ready for that too.

Sony is keeping its options open and we all know Jobs always keeps his options open. Tiger or Leopard on a PS/3? Some Apple branded box with PS/3 functionality built in? Never say never ... Sony will do whatever it takes to defend it's market dominance.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001

A small blurb on Sony's UK site has generated a lot of interest and speculation

Sony is expected to offer optional hard drives for the PS3 with potential memory capacity of 80 or 120 GB. It remains to be decided whether the standard version of the PS3 will come complete with a hard drive. The operating system has also yet to be clarified. The integrated Cell processor will be able to support a variety of operating systems (such as Linux or Apple's Tiger).

It's doubtful that there are any plans behind such statements. Sony appears to simply be positioning the Playstation 3 as a fully capable computer... capable of running any software... provided that it is offered by the developer.

An Inquirer article offers some similar comments from Sony's Ken Kutaragi:

Kutaragi said the PS3 will run operating systems as applications. "The kernel will be running on the Cell, and multiple OSes will be running on top of that as applications. Of course, the PS3 can run Linux. If Linux can run, so can Lindows. Other PC Operating Systems can run too, such as Windows and (Mac OS) Tiger, if the publishers want to do so. Maybe a new OS might come out," he adds.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
intriguing, but as pointed out, probably just a possibility and nothing will likely come of it

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
zv470 said:
Wouldn't OSs run slower if they are run like applications in this way?

most likely, hence why it is extremely unlike to ever happen, except for the i told you it could be done factor

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The most interesting statement is the Sony hope for Windows on Playstation. Obviously, MS will be rushing out a port and giving up their Xbox plans in the face of this Sony supercomputer :D

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
iMeowbot said:
The most interesting statement is the Sony hope for Windows on Playstation. Obviously, MS will be rushing out a port and giving up their Xbox plans in the face of this Sony supercomputer :D

Mac Gaming will be cutting edge soon!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
iMeowbot said:
Like MS will really be keeping up VPC after the Apple switch.

Plus if they think the transition from Codewarrior to XCode is a PIA -- wait until the try out Cell. :eek:

Plus anybody that says their box will run Mac OS X will find an Apple Legal letter in their mailbox -- heck somebody will probably hand deliver the letter and have you sign for it.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
PS3 is also faster than the world's fastest supercomputer according to Sony. Probably faster than all the world's computers combined. The Cell is like a jillion jigahertz. It can do a million billion fligaflops per nanosecond. It's all true, I read it on Sony's own website. I can't wait!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Guys, this stems from Ken Kutaragi's comment that the PS3 is powerful enough to run operating systems like Linux, or Windows or OS X Tiger if manufacturers wanted.

He never actually implied Apple was going to port it :rolleyes:

BTW, the XBox 360 would NOT make a 3.2 GHz Mac (PS3 also has a 3.2 GHz PowerPC in it, fyi). Not only is its processor VASTLY different than the ones OS X runs on (remember, even the G3 supports out-of-order processing, the XBox 360 and the PS3 do not), they're also much slower per clock cycle.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
This all sounds interesting. I think it would be cool if the PS3 could run OS X or even in some way connect with iTunes and buy and play songs etc. But this could affect Apple's hardware sales. If OS X is going to be on a PS3, apple would probably develop a different version for it, like microsoft does on the xbox with windows etc.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Sun Baked said:
Plus anybody that says their box will run Mac OS X will find an Apple Legal letter in their mailbox -- heck somebody will probably hand deliver the letter and have you sign for it.
Hmmm... no. You buy your copy of the OS, it's yours. You can install it anywhere. It's like the people on buildyourownmac.com claiming that Apple will send round the hitsquad if you try to install the dev kits on a non-Apple machine. As long as it's 1 copy per machine, they can't do squat

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
zv470 said:
Wouldn't OSs run slower if they are run like applications in this way?
Maybe a little bit, but then again it could be the same. With it running as an application, as long as it lets the OS take over the system and the system has compatible drivers, it would run a bit slower or highly doubtfully even the same as the specs. Then again if it had an embedded bios that took over and dumped out the RAM of the PS3 modules, it could run as fast as the real thing

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2005
London
If im not wrong..the PS3 will have 256 Standard memory and 256 VRAM in it...surely nobody would think of running Mac OS Tiger on a 256 Meg machine?

I could be wrong? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.