Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Legacy said:
If im not wrong..the PS3 will have 256 Standard memory and 256 VRAM in it...surely nobody would think of running Mac OS Tiger on a 256 Meg machine?

I could be wrong? :eek:
IIRC, the minimum requirement is 128MB

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2005
London
greatdevourer said:

what does IIRC mean?...im confused now :confused: the Mac Site says 256MB of memory for Tiger is the minimum...or does Mac OS run differently, if it did under PS3?

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
IIRC is internet speak for "If I recall correctly". One of the earlier OS X versions had a 128mb minimum. Tiger has a 256mb minimum.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Sun Baked said:
Like MS will really be keeping up VPC after the Apple switch.

Why not - VPC for Windows sells quite well; I imagine they'll even try selling Windows for Macs and VPC with the ability to run OS X in a VPC window (on a Mac only, of course). Think about it: you could run VPC on Windows on a Mac, or on Mac OS X on a Mac, and run a separate OS X instance in a window (for trying out new configurations, for instance).

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
x86isslow said:
IIRC is internet speak for "If I recall correctly". One of the earlier OS X versions had a 128mb minimum. Tiger has a 256mb minimum.
Oh, ok. Either way, it would run

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Legacy said:
If im not wrong..the PS3 will have 256 Standard memory and 256 VRAM in it...surely nobody would think of running Mac OS Tiger on a 256 Meg machine?

I run it on my 500 MHz G3 iBook with 256 MB of RAM - and it runs fine. It only bogs down if I try something stupid. TextWrangler, Office, VNC all run fine; games, on the other hand, not so good.

WeeShoo

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2005
North Carolina
I wouldnt be surprised if they decided to use Window's, because with their Desktop Computer's and NoteBook Computer's running Window's, why go out of their way and Use Mac OS X? Maybe if they wanted something different.

- WeeShoo

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Its never going to happen officially, but it may happen illegally by modding the PS3 the way the xbox has been exploited....

anyhow i see no use of having OSX on a PS3....

shadoW ;)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sun Baked said:
Like MS will really be keeping up VPC after the Apple switch.

They'll still be glad to sell us copies of Windows AND the VPC software too. They already make VPC for Intel--and if installing Windows is not simple on Mac hardware, then something like VPC will be a big help to people. Not to mention all the advantages of running two OS's at once vs. dual-booting: convenience, security (run off a hardfile) and they ability to use ALL your apps together, regardless of OS. Plus new Intel chips are specifically designed with the ability to run more than one OS at a time.

One way or another, I don't think VPC is dead by any means--it's just about to get a LOT faster.

Having the Windows option available (not built-in/bundled) as a safety net will encourage switching--and so MS would be smart not to help people. But I predict they won't be that smart :eek:

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
Legacy said:

I believe the ps3 is going to have a different kind of memory than we can equate to in todays terms. The memory and the way it works are going to really be totally different than todays standards.

Processor:
Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS
Memory:
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

From what i have read, i dont think any of the current OSs on the market will be able to deal with the ps3, xbox 360 maybe, but with the cell processor works, i dont think OSX or windoze will be running along on it any time soon. But its fun to dream isnt it!!

dagger01

Cancelled
Jan 14, 2004
Not gonna happen...

There is no way Apple will license or support their OS to run on anything but their own hardware for the foreseeable future. This is most likely a pipe dream created by someone who is taking the fact that the Cell and PPC970 are binary compatible and blowing it way beyond the scope of reality.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
grapes911 said:
Because you could have an awesome 3.2GHz Mac for about $400 + the OS. The real question is "why wouldn't you want to run OS X on a PS3?"

your point is a valid one but it will never happen as why would Apple let Leopard run on a sub $400 machine???

It would surely be detrimental to there hardware sales,

ShadOW ;)

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
greatdevourer said:
Hmmm... no. You buy your copy of the OS, it's yours. You can install it anywhere. It's like the people on buildyourownmac.com claiming that Apple will send round the hitsquad if you try to install the dev kits on a non-Apple machine. As long as it's 1 copy per machine, they can't do squat

sorry, but that's wrong.

tikibangout

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Hmm...XDR, extreme data rate, I believe. I was reading somewhere that 512MB of XDR would run at about 4.8GHz, which is way faster than the memory we use in our computers.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I'll be actually surprised if Apple and Sony don't do something with this.

For Apple it can only improve mind share.

Hell Apple should be make a small portable OS for all consoles.

Hell I bet even MS doesn't want to use it's own OS on it's Xbox...hehe

tikibangout

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If you think about it, there will be people that would want an OS on future gaming systems, and there some that don't. I for one, don't want them to incorporate an OS into any future gaming console, just because it seems its taking away from the whole idea. If I want to browse the internet or watch movies online, or talk to people on AIM, i'll use my computer. The startup menu thing on Xbox seems fine. I think they should pay attention more to the games than the actual console. I'd rather have a simple console and great games rather than ****** games on a fancy console.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
grapes911 said:
Because you could have an awesome 3.2GHz Mac for about $400 + the OS. The real question is "why wouldn't you want to run OS X on a PS3?"

Except that "awesome" 3.2GHz Mac would probably be slower than most Macs available now. It's nothing like a G5. And no way of expanding the memory past 256MB I guess, which wouldn't help the speed any if you tried to do much with it. I thought the true nature of the PS3 speed (or relative lack thereof) was well known by now....

--Eric

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
tny said:
Why not - VPC for Windows sells quite well; I imagine they'll even try selling Windows for Macs and VPC with the ability to run OS X in a VPC window (on a Mac only, of course). Think about it: you could run VPC on Windows on a Mac, or on Mac OS X on a Mac, and run a separate OS X instance in a window (for trying out new configurations, for instance).
Sorry, I meant VPC for PPC (or the full emulated environment) -- which I expect will die a quick death after the switch.

I expect Windows to replace the emulated Codewarrior beast, with one last XCode version before letting VPC for Mac die as we know it -- to be replaced by a slimmed down Virtual Machine for Mac OS X86 instead (with the same name.)

Edit: Heck, I don't even expect MS to port it to the Cell (the competition) at this point.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I agree, VPC for PPC probably doesn't have a lot of new versions on the way. Still, I'd say they'll probably keep selling the current (or last) version--demand will exist for years to come--even while also selling an x86 version.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Legacy said:

Except for the millions of folks who bought a Mac Mini.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
greatdevourer said:

YDNRC. The min. requirements for tiger are 256. While the OS only consumes about 90-100MB in full trim, Apple could have easily made 10.4 run on 128 meg. However, choosing not to be like MS, and choosing instead to offer a pleasurable computing experience instead of trying to get this new OS on as many machines as possible, they opted to make 256 the min.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.