Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulo Henrique Baldassi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
Guys, could you comment on the battery health of your M1 Pro 2021 macbooks? I've had several Apple devices and until today I've always seen a new battery come with a slightly larger capacity than the design. Between 101% and 103%. But I bought the MBP M1 Pro 14" a week ago and the battery came in between 98% and 99% capacity. It seems people are also commenting that the battery health is dropping rapidly. My Macbook Pro M1 13" 2021 has been used more plugged in and always with aldente. Activated July 15, 2021, has 5 cycles and 102% battery health. Could you share the battery health of your 2021 macbooks? How can a nearly a year old machine have better battery health than new?
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-28 at 14.48.12.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-04-28 at 14.57.47.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jhonjhon236

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Day 1 14-inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro - Base Configuration. I had this thing since it launched from day 1 on 10/26/21:
1651176769405.png

It has been consistently plugged into various Thunderbolt 3 docks and used in clamshell mode for ~ 99.9% of the time since I got it...

Reactions: Marsikus

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I suspect this could be related to the factory where the mackbook was mounted. Your seriel number starts with what letter? Just the first letter...please
Apple has switched to a random serial number for a while now...you can't predict where the item was manufactured anymore from the serial number:

Paulo Henrique Baldassi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
Apple has switched to a random serial number for a while now...you can't predict where the item was manufactured anymore from the serial number:

Thank you for the information. I hadn't bothered with that. Good to know. Didn't you complain about your machine coming with 99% battery by apple's own system report? Mine is identified by the coconut, but the report says 100%. In your case, they are obligated to do something. There actually seems to be a quality control issue with the batteries on this new 2021 macbook pro

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 3.43.26 PM.png
Got this at launch. Maybe there is an issue with mine, don't know why its so low with light usage.

• Wow
Reactions: Jhonjhon236

Paulo Henrique Baldassi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
It actually looks like the quality control has dropped even on these new macs. No one has posted a machine with battery over capacity yet. My macbook Pro M1 13" with 9 months of use is still at 102%. Came with over 103%.
View attachment 1998097 Got this at launch. Maybe there is an issue with mine, don't know why its so low with light usage.
It actually looks like the quality control has dropped even on these new macs. No one has posted a machine with battery over capacity yet. My macbook Pro M1 13" with 9 months of use is still at 102%. Came with over 103%.

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Unfortunately your post confirms that apple did not plan well for the capacity of these new batteries and fell short of design capacity.
The mac eccentric lil repair shop at first didn't want to install a battery (it's insured). They struggled to find one they could in good conscience offer a warranty on. Obviously an age related problem with parts, any parts now.

Paulo Henrique Baldassi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
I don't think it confirms anything. There are 5 examples here, out of millions of machines sold.
Friend, you are right when you say that there are millions of machines sold in the world. But there is some evidence: I bought 2 sealed M1 Pro 14 macbooks and both came with 99% design capacity. You see a lot of people talking about it on the internet. So I believe there are indications, yes. If at least someone posted a print here with 101, 102 or 103% of the design it wouldn't make sense what I said. But before creating this post I did a lot of research and everything I found says the same thing, that the new 2021 macbooks are coming with a battery with a design capacity lower than that announced by apple.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
That the new 2021 macbooks are coming with a battery with a design capacity lower than that announced by apple.
You are confusing design capacity and battery health.

The design capacity is exactly what is "announced" by Apple even though they never announce battery capacities. Contrary to what people like to think, battery health is not a science. There are many factors that play into the actual capacity of a battery. Heat, age, use are only a few of many factors. Some batteries arrive with 110% capacity, others arrive with 95%. I've had it both ways. Batteries also fluctuate a dozen times a day. Just in the last hour my health has gone up 1.5%.

Look at the history of my battery. There are times where it has been at 97% and then goes back to 100%+. Asking people for a static number is useless data.

Back in January I was at 101%+. Thus, showing that it does indeed happen and what you found on your research is nothing but confirmation bias. Batteries will always fluctuate.
Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 3.39.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 3.40.52 PM.png

Paulo Henrique Baldassi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
forgive me friend. I wrote it wrong.
I understand the maximum battery charge variation you mentioned. But the only thing is: It looks like the new 2021 macbooks Pro seem to be coming with 100% battery health or less. 101, 102, 103% as was normal in previous models do not seem to exist. I could be wrong, of course, but for me this trend seems to get clearer every day.
You are confusing design capacity and battery health.

The design capacity is exactly what is "announced" by Apple even though they never announce battery capacities. Contrary to what people like to think, battery health is not a science. There are many factors that play into the actual capacity of a battery. Heat, age, use are only a few of many factors. Some batteries arrive with 110% capacity, others arrive with 95%. I've had it both ways. Batteries also fluctuate a dozen times a day. Just in the last hour my health has gone up 1.5%.

Look at the history of my battery. There are times where it has been at 97% and then goes back to 100%+. Asking people for a static number is useless data.

Back in January I was at 101%+. Thus, showing that it does indeed happen and what you found on your research is nothing but confirmation bias. Batteries will always fluctuate.
View attachment 1998149 View attachment 1998150

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014

It's just disappointing that it is so low. It has been like this since its launch. At least I get 8 hours of usage which is nice.

Reactions: planteater

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
Here we go again with people going nuts over their battery health. I have a MacBook Pro 16-inch around launch day and it’s at 98% according to apple’s battery health. I keep my computer plugged in at 70% for what it’s worth.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Paulo Henrique Baldassi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
Here we go again with people going nuts over their battery health. I have a MacBook Pro 16-inch around launch day and it’s at 98% according to apple’s battery health. I keep my computer plugged in at 70% for what it’s worth.
No friend, my only question is that the overwhelming majority or all new 2021 macbooks are coming with battery health less than their design capacity, whereas in previous machines the trend was to come with higher capacity than design. Just that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.