Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I'm sorry too, because when your tirade went nowhere we suddenly ended up talking about Mac for kids.

This is the MacBook Pro forum. My car has 737 HP and goes 204 MPH.

R.
Here was my answer, to an open ended question, posed in this thread - https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-just-got-a-dell.2034809/page-7#post-24360120

Sorry it does not match your exacting rules for posting in the section, and that I dared to answer a question, with real life experiences that included Mackbbok Pros, and Macs OTHER than a Macbook Pro.

Thank you for showing your true colors again, but attempt bullying someone else. You got as much rise outta me as you are going to get, and now I know to avoid you in the future.

Enjoy being this section's internet police force!!

[doublepost=1488504372][/doublepost]
I'm not sure I follow. I don't frequently use SD cards, but how does removing the SD card slot force user to spend more $$$ on initial purchase?
https://9to5mac.com/2014/05/23/thre...k-air-or-retina-pro-through-the-sd-card-slot/

You wouldn't want to put anything too important on there. But for carrying around copies of low demand data like music/movies/etc... on a storage space limited 128Gig MBP, it's very handy.

Last edited:

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
To be honest what is silly is to assume that everyone wants to use wireless headphones on their iPhones and laptops, after all that is what your assuming. How can you assume that unless you have data to back up your assumptions. I think this topic is straying off into other areas by your responses.

The simple discussion earlier was why Apple would implement a feature on the iPhone (lightening to adapter) in order to use your headphones and why that feature would not have been carried onto the laptop. By not doing that on a brand new product sets the narrative of why have it on one product and not the other.

I'm actually happy there is a headphone jack on the new MBP. I'm just surprised it's not part of the USB-C port since that's the concept they went with on their phone (get rid of something and stick it with the main port).

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
To be honest what is silly is to assume that everyone wants to use wireless headphones on their iPhones and laptops, after all that is what your assuming. How can you assume that unless you have data to back up your assumptions. I think this topic is straying off into other areas by your responses.

The simple discussion earlier was why Apple would implement a feature on the iPhone (lightening to adapter) in order to use your headphones and why that feature would not have been carried onto the laptop. By not doing that on a brand new product sets the narrative of why have it on one product and not the other.

I'm actually happy there is a headphone jack on the new MBP. I'm just surprised it's not part of the USB-C port since that's the concept they went with on their phone (get rid of something and stick it with the main port).

I thought for sure when the headphone jack left the iPhone 7 that it would be gone with the new MacBook Pro as well. So, if you happened to buy an iPhone 7 (as your first iPhone), and a new MacBook Pro, then you would have to use different earbuds than the ones that come with the phone, because they are lightning. I mean, from a sales standpoint it's brilliant, right?

Until my AirPods showed up I ended up carrying around the earbuds that came with my 6s Plus, and used the Apple 3.5mm adapter. But again, why remove the 3.5 on one device if you're not going to at least switch to lightning on the other as well? To me it didn't seem well thought out.

As to your point, yes. It is completely silly to assume everyone wants to use wireless. For every one person on the light rail here in Seattle that is using wireless, I can show you probably 5-10 that aren't. I wonder if Apple had planned on removing the headphone jack from the MacBook Pro but something got in the way. I mean, they could have sold more $10.00 headphone adapters that way ;)

derboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
UK
OP did post a couple more times, though without adding much. I don't mind that kind of post, if the poster is open to reason and contrary facts. Not clear if that's the case here.

I am, as I'm definitely not an apple hater. :) This thread is getting a little long though.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I thought for sure when the headphone jack left the iPhone 7 that it would be gone with the new MacBook Pro as well. So, if you happened to buy an iPhone 7 (as your first iPhone), and a new MacBook Pro, then you would have to use different earbuds than the ones that come with the phone, because they are lightning. I mean, from a sales standpoint it's brilliant, right?

Until my AirPods showed up I ended up carrying around the earbuds that came with my 6s Plus, and used the Apple 3.5mm adapter. But again, why remove the 3.5 on one device if you're not going to at least switch to lightning on the other as well? To me it didn't seem well thought out.

As to your point, yes. It is completely silly to assume everyone wants to use wireless. For every one person on the light rail here in Seattle that is using wireless, I can show you probably 5-10 that aren't. I wonder if Apple had planned on removing the headphone jack from the MacBook Pro but something got in the way. I mean, they could have sold more $10.00 headphone adapters that way ;)

There was a survey done around the time of the launch of the MacBook Pro's, asking if people use the headphone jack on their MacBooks.

Reactions: Sanpete

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I wonder if Apple had planned on removing the headphone jack from the MacBook Pro but something got in the way. I mean, they could have sold more $10.00 headphone adapters that way ;)

According to Apple, there was never any intent to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from the MacBook Pro. Phil Schiller said of the decision to keep the jack...

"These are pro machines. If it was just about headphones then it doesn’t need to be there. We believe that wireless is a great solution for headphones," he said, speaking to The Independent.

"But many users have set-ups with studio monitors, amps and other pro audio gear that do not have wireless solutions and need the 3.5mm jack."

Addressing the SD Card slot he said...

"It's a bit of a cumbersome slot. You've got this thing sticking halfway out," Schiller said, channelling Michael Scott.

"And then more and more cameras are starting to build wireless transfer into the camera. That’s proving very useful. So we think there’s a path forward where you can use a physical adaptor if you want, or do wireless transfer."

Not everyone will agree with the Apples decision or his statements of course, but clearly there was some thought and design decision involved with it.

Reactions: Sanpete

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am, as I'm definitely not an apple hater. :) This thread is getting a little long though.
IT is, the bottom line, no product is perfect, but the Dell represents a good balance of quality, design, price and features imo. The MBP has some nice features, the OS provides services, and a UX that many people are drawn too.

For me, it goes with: Are you getting value for your money? Does the Dell give you value at 1,500 dollars? Does the MBP give you value for 2,600? If the latter is true, buy the MBP, if the former strikes a chord then buy the Dell. The design choices in the 2016 MBP give me pause on whether its a value, but that's my opinion for my needs :)

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah

It might be brilliant that way if they didn't give away the earbuds.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
There was a survey done around the time of the launch of the MacBook Pro's, asking if people use the headphone jack on their MacBooks.

Really? I had not heard or seen that. For me having or not having the headphone jack is a non-issue. . . but I am not "everyone" and nor do I ever like to think that I am, and my usage case is typical.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For me having or not having the headphone jack is a non-issue.
For me its a non-issue, but I find it peculiar, that apple would make a strong case of how archaic, old and inferior the headphone jack is in the phone, but then keep it in the MBP. Personally, I've never used the headphone jacks on my MBP, so its no big deal for me.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
For me its a non-issue, but I find it peculiar, that apple would make a strong case of how archaic, old and inferior the headphone jack is in the phone, but then keep it in the MBP. Personally, I've never used the headphone jacks on my MBP, so its no big deal for me.

It IS archaic to use wired headphones on a small fully mobile device.

A computer, laptop or desktop, is NOT mobile. You sit down and use it, often with amps/headphones and speaker systems, thus the headphone jack remains relevant.

Now, there are headphone to USB adapters, but I'm unsure of the variances in sound quality with them vs. a standard jack.

R.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It IS archaic to use wired headphones on a small fully mobile device.

A computer, laptop or desktop, is NOT mobile. You sit down and use it, often with amps/headphones and speaker systems, thus the headphone jack remains relevant.

Now, there are headphone to USB adapters, but I'm unsure of the variances in sound quality with them vs. a standard jack.

R.
I'm not sure what your drinking but I'll have 2 of them :) we all know a RMP is not a mobile however it is portable laptop and I find it totally contradictory and in addition when we here all the spiel on future ports etc etc and yet here we have one of the oldest legacy ones still there :rolleyes: even many other stationary consumer goods (eg TV's) have gone from the old jacks

This so nullifies the future thinking rhetoric IMO

Reactions: Queen6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A computer, laptop or desktop, is NOT mobile.

LOL, a laptop is not mobile, please tell Apple that because they've been marketing their laptops wrong all these years :p

Yes, a laptop is mobile, a smart phone is mobile. For the same reasons why a headphone jack is needed for a laptop, its needed for the phone. I'm not advocating its removal in the MBP but rather its inconsistent of Apple to say how unnecessary it is in one mobile product but say its needed in another.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
LOL, a laptop is not mobile, please tell Apple that because they've been marketing their laptops wrong all these years :p

Yes, a laptop is mobile, a smart phone is mobile. For the same reasons why a headphone jack is needed for a laptop, its needed for the phone. I'm not advocating its removal in the MBP but rather its inconsistent of Apple to say how unnecessary it is in one mobile product but say its needed in another.

I see you've never taken part in any of Apple's research pools, but as I have always maintained, consumer ignorance is a factor they still must consider.

A laptop is a PORTABLE device.
This means it's NOT used while walking, but generally in a stationary setting. It can be moved, but generally NOT used while moving.

A iPhone is a MOBILE device.
This means it's used often while walking and on the go. While it can also be used in a stationary manner, it's primary design is for MOBILE applications, driving, walking, biking, sailing etc.

My tMBP is currently connected to a set of HK sound sticks, but I also have a Pathos headphone amp and Sen. headphones. This stuff is designed for 2 channel systems, desktops and laptops. That is why they kept the jack. If you like, send them an email and ASK.
My PHONE, being a MOBILE device, is made more cumbersome with wired headsets.

Pretty Obvious stuff, unless you're hellbent on being critical of Apple.

R

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I see you've never taken part in any of Apple's research pools, but as I have always maintained, consumer ignorance is a factor they still must consider.

A laptop is a PORTABLE device.
This means it's NOT used while walking, but generally in a stationary setting. It can be moved, but generally NOT used while moving.

A iPhone is a MOBILE device.
This means it's used often while walking and on the go. While it can also be used in a stationary manner, it's primary design is for MOBILE applications, driving, walking, biking, sailing etc.

My tMBP is currently connected to a set of HK sound sticks, but I also have a Pathos headphone amp and Sen. headphones. This stuff is designed for 2 channel systems, desktops and laptops. That is why they kept the jack. If you like, send them an email and ASK.
My PHONE, being a MOBILE device, is made more cumbersome with wired headsets.

Pretty Obvious stuff, unless you're hellbent on being critical of Apple.

R
I think your getting hung up on words and their definition. If you ask the general public, hey is your laptop mobile, most if not all of them will say of course I take it with me everyday on the train ride to work, it's always with me on the go. It's not a heavy stationary item so yeah it's mobile.

Wireless headphones to me (at this day and age) are like a luxury item, it's not something you really need and most people can't even afford them. They are not a must have item. Most people I see at work or on the street are using wired headphones. For me, there is nothing cumbersome about using wired headphones, I take them out and stick them in the jack how hard is that and the best part of all they work when I want them all the time, no worries about do I have enough charge.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
I think your getting hung up on words and their definition. If you ask the general public, hey is your laptop mobile, most if not all of them will say of course I take it with me everyday on the train ride to work, it's always with me on the go. It's not a heavy stationary item so yeah it's mobile.

Wireless headphones to me (at this day and age) are like a luxury item, it's not something you really need and most people can't even afford them. They are not a must have item. Most people I see at work or on the street are using wired headphones. For me, there is nothing cumbersome about using wired headphones, I take them out and stick them in the jack how hard is that and the best part of all they work when I want them all the time, no worries about do I have enough charge.

Not hung up on anything.

I simply know what Apple said and understood it. Apple knows that the jack is used regularly for audiophile near-field speaker systems, headphones and so on. There's a HUGE market just for that with people heavily invested well beyond the cost of a cheap MBP.

These systems are rarely used with an iPhone, and if they are it's usually in a different type of system integration, such as the Manley Stingray II in a proper audio system.

If you don't get the difference, you're being obtuse. But if you won't take my word, drop Apple a line and they'll explain it for you.

R.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Pretty Obvious stuff
I'm not going to argue over mobility vs. portability because I think its a silly argument and your just obfuscating the point that Apple is inconsistent.

What will be really funny is if Apple rolls out an update to their mac line and excludes the headphone jack, and I betcha they will

Most other people tend to think that Apple is being very inconsistent, I'm one of them. You're happy with your MBP and that's great, its a fine machine. Some of think that it has some short comings in different areas, many people don't.

This thread is evidence that not everyone is happy with Apple and its choices. On the flip side Apple's competitors are making some computers that rival Apple in a number of ways.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
I'm not going to argue over mobility vs. portability because I think its a silly argument and your just obfuscating the point that Apple is inconsistent.

What will be really funny is if Apple rolls out an update to their mac line and excludes the headphone jack, and I betcha they will

Most other people tend to think that Apple is being very inconsistent, I'm one of them. You're happy with your MBP and that's great, its a fine machine. Some of think that it has some short comings in different areas, many people don't.

This thread is evidence that not everyone is happy with Apple and its choices. On the flip side Apple's competitors are making some computers that rival Apple in a number of ways.

Apple will not drop the jack on the next model and likely not the one after that. Your statement about folks happy and unhappy is kinda silly. I must have missed the computer release where EVERYONE was happy.

I've been at this for a long time. My first computer was a TRS-80 model 1. I've had everything from an Atari 800 to an Apple II+ to whopping customer servers. No one is 100% happy with anything and everyone thinks the designer should have called them personally to address their special needs!

Apple didn't call me, but they got closer than ever with these new machines FOR ME and many others. The panic over the battery life ended. Most owners dig the machine and the dust is settling. Sticking around for no other reason than to continuously rain complaints repetitively won't get anything done. Call Apple. Call your congressman. Call Ghostbusters.

But for Spock's sake, give the crying a rest.

Spock.jpg

R.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
^^No offense but I think you might need to take a break from the forums your taking this way too serious. Lol

Offense? LOL!

I'm pretty much having a laugh every time I read the nit-picking comments here. They started off sounding valid, but then, as each issue gets resolved or adapted to...a few hold-outs keep trying to stir the pot.

We both know what I'm talking about and what you do here. You're just getting called out on it. I have no idea why you keep bashing the tMBP, but you're in a dwindling minority.

And that is funny. :cool:

R

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I went Lenovo desktop, but those old Dell full stroke keyboards are hard to beat. None of those Chiclet errors, and tough enough that you can buy 10 year old models at Goodwill for 3 bucks, and still get perfect performance. I think I have 5 of them now.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
^^No offense but I think you might need to take a break from the forums your taking this way too serious. Lol

It's worse and more like a self-fulfilling prophecy

My hats off to the adults who manage to remain silent in the most part. There is no dust settled just a refusal to engage in the deluge of counter posts from the few

Bring back the humour and the cheerful banter that make MR more engaging IMO

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
It's worse and more like a self-fulfilling prophecy

My hats off to the adults who manage to remain silent in the most part. There is no dust settled just a refusal to engage in the deluge of counter posts from the few

Bring back the humour and the cheerful banter that make MR more engaging IMO

Well said, the counter post barrage from the same minority over & over is getting beyond tiresome...

Q-6

Reactions: SteveJUAE

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Lets try to get back on topic - The thread seems to veering off and I think there's still a lot of good discussions left.

I may be repeating myself but in an effort to get this thread a little more on topic, I'll say this:

I think the topic of this thread is telling, because there are people who are unhappy with the direction of the Apple's laptop. I think for price/performance/features Dells do make a compelling case. I posted this a number of times, but I think for my case, it bears repeating. Apple has priced themselves out of the market for me. I cannot justify spending 3,000 dollars (or close to that).

I understand others can and do, and I'm not knocking them but for me, its a bitter pill for me to swallow. Especially since it seems how little macOS has been improved these past few years. I have high hopes that WWDC is going to show off some major improvements to macOS because the operating system is the other half of the equation when it comes to computers, i.e., what good is the hardware if the OS/Software doesn't allow you to do what you want to do.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Lets try to get back on topic - The thread seems to veering off and I think there's still a lot of good discussions left.

I may be repeating myself but in an effort to get this thread a little more on topic, I'll say this:

I think the topic of this thread is telling, because there are people who are unhappy with the direction of the Apple's laptop. I think for price/performance/features Dells do make a compelling case. I posted this a number of times, but I think for my case, it bears repeating. Apple has priced themselves out of the market for me. I cannot justify spending 3,000 dollars (or close to that).

I understand others can and do, and I'm not knocking them but for me, its a bitter pill for me to swallow. Especially since it seems how little macOS has been improved these past few years. I have high hopes that WWDC is going to show off some major improvements to macOS because the operating system is the other half of the equation when it comes to computers, i.e., what good is the hardware if the OS/Software doesn't allow you to do what you want to do.

Apple's asking price does not intimidate, as my hardware pays for itself rapidly. Rather more I simply find the direction to lack value and practicality, add into the mix the diminishment in stability of the desktop OS. At the end of the day I need tools to get the job done, Apple either provides or it doesn't, for the first time in many a year Apple is now out of position for my professional needs.

Very much agree with the OP's opening statement Apple needs to try far harder given the asking price and Apple's resources. Would likely help if Apple focused on making great products, as opposed to designing to extract the maximum margin from it's customers. As for WWDC have few hopes if any of any significant advancement for macOS and the accompanying hardware, just more of the same...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.