Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grani13

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new phone.

I am quite tempted by the plus size iphones - I quite like the big screen for being able to use them as a tool for photos, web, ppts, pdf reading... etc....
Now obviously it's humongous....and just trying it in the Apple store for some minutes doesn't really give me enough of an impression how it would be in everyday use.
Bit concerned about it's usability when e.g. just going out with nowhere to put it but the pockets of your jeans...during sports (running - using my iphone for music and usually holding it in my hand)...

What is your real life experience? For those who have one - would you get it again? Or rather switch back to the normal ones?

cheers
grani

PS: using an SE right now....

mpshah27

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2016
I've been a plus sized user since they were launched, got used to the size over time. But now after 3 years (6, 6+, 7+) of using the plus iPhone's I'm done with carrying around a surf board. Moved to the X and couldn't be happier with the smaller form factor / bigger display.

Reactions: janeauburn

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Head to a store and have a play. Personally (an SE user here too) I've found the size of the plus to be, quite frankly, ridiculous. Yes people put up with it and defend it because of the screen size, but that's all it has to offer really. I know a few people with one and when they hand it over to ask me to take a photo for them it's like handing me an iPad Mini. Maybe that's the point, but it's not for me. The standard phones are far better in the hand, far better, and the X by all accounts improves on that being slightly thicker and more comfortable to hold as a result.

Reactions: janeauburn

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Just moved from iPhone 6 to the 8+.

Didn‘t think I would ever get used to the bigger size, but after two weeks I wouldn‘t want to hold my old iPhone 6 anymore. Didn‘t hold the X yet, though. You will get used to the size just fine and the space is appreciated.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah if you want a Plus go with it. You'll never regret it once you get used to the size. It's different, but in no way a problem.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Had a 6s+ and loved the display size. But could live with the size of the phone - barely fit in my pocket and was just uncomfortable. So I switched down to the 6s and was much happier (although I do have an iPad for watching videos, so I don’t mind the smaller sized phone). I now have an X and it’s v.nice.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Had a 6s+ and loved the display size. But could live with the size of the phone - barely fit in my pocket and was just uncomfortable. So I switched down to the 6s and was much happier (although I do have an iPad for watching videos, so I don’t mind the smaller sized phone). I now have an X and it’s v.nice.

And on the 6 you carried your charger where ever you went lol

jo.Lo

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2017
Germany
I switched from a 6s to 7 plus this year. My biggest fear was the size, since I always carry my phone in my pockets. Surprisingly, I don't really feel a difference in putting it in or out of my pockets, this isn't an issue for me.
Holding it in one hand is more difficult, one-hand operation like holding and typing at the same time is just not possible for me because I can't reach the left side of the keyboard. This is the only thing that's worse than before with the 6s.

That's about it thinking of negative things about the plus size. Anything else is very positive, the screen, better battery life than my old 6s, dual camera with portrait mode, ...

To sum up, I don't regret upgrading the size and I won't go back to the smaller form factor.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I switched from a 6s to 7 plus this year. My biggest fear was the size, since I always carry my phone in my pockets. Surprisingly, I don't really feel a difference in putting it in or out of my pockets, this isn't an issue for me.
Holding it in one hand is more difficult, one-hand operation like holding and typing at the same time is just not possible for me because I can't reach the left side of the keyboard.

That's about it thinking of negative things about the plus size. Anything else is very positive, the screen, better battery life than my old 6s, dual camera with portrait mode, ...

To sum up, I don't regret upgrading the size and I won't go back to the smaller form factor.

Didn't iOS 11 add one sided keyboards to make one handed typing easier? I believe so.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I have always gone for smart phones with big screens.

Biggest so for was the samsung mega I think.
Had iphone 6s+ but mostly had android phones.

I like both IOS and android and have had both.

I use my phone for everything so bigger screen makes the tasks easier.

My fiancee has an SE and is finding it a bit small for some things and has to revert to her ipad pro.
Her last phone was the samsung s7 edge, however she has grown to love IOS and she thinks next phone will be apple.

jo.Lo

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2017
Germany
Didn't iOS 11 add one sided keyboards to make one handed typing easier? I believe so.

Yeah, there is this Option. But I think it's not very comfortable to use and the letters get really small so I miss them alot with my thumb. For me this is not an option and for someone thinking about buying a plus size model it would be unfair to say one-handed typing is as good as with the small form factor.
In the end I just stopped using the 7+ with one hand when typing, I mean it's a big phone, that's part of the deal :)

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, there is this Option. But I think it's not very comfortable to use and the letters get really small so I miss them alot with my thumb. For me this is not an option and for someone thinking about buying a plus size model it would be unfair to say one-handed typing is as good as with the small form factor.
In the end I just stopped using the 7+ with one hand when typing, I mean it's a big phone, that's part of the deal :)

I can manage, you can type decent enough one handed... Those far keys are hard to hit though without re-positioning your hand awkwardly.

yeahtyeaht

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Germany
moved from 6s to 8+ and i would never ever go back. in the past I thought the plus model is too big but after using one day you will never go back because the normal model is too small

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
moved from 6s to 8+ and i would never ever go back. in the past I thought the plus model is too big but after using one day you will never go back because the normal model is too small

Don't forget the fact that you never have to carry a charger with you everywhere you go lol

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The Plus series really spoils you.

The big display, long battery life, and overall experience offered are at the top of the iPhone food chain for me.

I was not a believer in the Plus when it was first revealed. My first Plus phone was the 7+ because I wanted Jet Black. Now all other iPhones, including the X, feels like a step backwards in several key areas.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
The Plus series really spoils you.

The big display, long battery life, and overall experience offered are at the top of the iPhone food chain for me.

I was not a believer in the Plus when it was first revealed. My first Plus phone was the 7+ because I wanted Jet Black. Now all other iPhones, including the X, feels like a step backwards in several key areas.

It's funny because I got a Note 2 and I put a screenshot of an iPhone home screen in my pictures. I opened it full screen and I said "If Apple ever makes a phone this big I will be first in line"... Here I am 3 years later, very close to switching back to a Plus from my X.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
People seem to consider the plus phones as not much smaller than an iPad mini whereas in reality theres a huge difference - once you're used to it it won't feel big in the hand or pocket at all.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
And on the 6 you carried your charger where ever you went lol

it was ok...for a while. Got better when I bought an apple watch so the screen was on less often. But recently it would barely get to mid-afternoon so I started carrying a portable battery in my bag.

X should be comfortably getting me through the day. Or I'll get a wireless charger for my office desk so I can top up during the day.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
People seem to consider the plus phones as not much smaller than an iPad mini whereas in reality theres a huge difference - once you're used to it it won't feel big in the hand or pocket at all.

I actually have been constantly having a mini heart attack and reaching to make sure I didn't lose my X because I can't feel it in my pocket lol
[doublepost=1509963034][/doublepost]
it was ok...for a while. Got better when I bought an apple watch so the screen was on less often. But recently it would barely get to mid-afternoon so I started carrying a portable battery in my bag.

X should be comfortably getting me through the day. Or I'll get a wireless charger for my office desk so I can top up during the day.

6,7,8 to an X is an upgrade... Plus to X is a downgrade in battery life from my experience.

grani13

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Finally....

I did get a 7 Plus in the end, I'm using it for about 2 weeks now and I absolutely LOVE it. Got used to the big size instantly, doesn't bother me too much in my pockets and the screen real estate is awesome. Still using my SE in parallel and when I look at the tiny screen it's a different world.

thanks for all the feedback to all

Reactions: maternusgold

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yeah if you want a Plus go with it. You'll never regret it once you get used to the size. It's different, but in no way a problem.
I’ve had a Plus model since 6 Plus. I’ve upgraded 6s Plus, 7s Plus, and 8plus. What I can say is an armband is a must. Carrying your phone in hand isn’t a good idea for vigorous sports. I take mine in an armband when jogging. At the gym I can get away with it in my pocket. No hesitation, I will always get a Plus model. They’re like a mini tablet.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
Would not own anything smaller -8plus owner here
Had the X for the full 14days could not stand it too small felt like I went backwards. There are times that I think the plus is small.

Back when the 6plus came out I got used to the size difference in 2 days and would never go back.

Fits in the pocket like all my other phones before the plus
Screen size is bigger than the x don’t listen to the hype around that.
Format for websites is full screen no zooming in or out.

Buy the plus 2 days later you will thank us plus users.
Plus = adult phone
Anything smaller = kids phone lol jk no really

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.