Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new phone.

I am quite tempted by the plus size iphones - I quite like the big screen for being able to use them as a tool for photos, web, ppts, pdf reading... etc....
Now obviously it's humongous....and just trying it in the Apple store for some minutes doesn't really give me enough of an impression how it would be in everyday use.
Bit concerned about it's usability when e.g. just going out with nowhere to put it but the pockets of your jeans...during sports (running - using my iphone for music and usually holding it in my hand)...

What is your real life experience? For those who have one - would you get it again? Or rather switch back to the normal ones?

cheers
grani

PS: using an SE right now....

I've been using the Plus phones since the 6 Plus. Still have the 6 Plus, in fact, and like that best of all the models because it's the thinnest and lightest. Incredibly, Apple has made every Plus since the 6 both heavier and thicker, making a bad situation worse.

In short, the Plus phones are too big. The regular phones are too small (screen). There's no perfect solution, only imperfect. Best phone I ever had was the BlackBerry curve. Small and light.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Given an SE for work. But my 54 year old eyes bought the last couple phones in plus size. Still have my 7+. Bought an X, and while probably could have lived with it after increasing text size, it gathered some fine dust inside camera housing and I didn't want to worry about it. Got the 8+. I love the true tone screen and wireless charging along with battery life. Harder for me to use the SE without eye strain.

With the right case and depending on your pocket size it's a non-issue. Sports are more challenging, but a waist belt or arm band will help. I got an AW3 with LTE so leave the phone home now for runs, etc.

I had been using Speck Presidio Grip cases on the 7+, but discovered the Speck Presidio Sport recently, which is only sold at Best Buy (not even on Speck website). It is rubbery grippy, doesn't gather lint/dust like silicon cases, and covers the charging port and mute switch. Over all thin but slightly thicker than Presidio Grip with better protection I believe.

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
i went from a 5s to the 6 plus then to the 6s. I've gone with the smaller options since then as well.
The plus screen is awesome but i hated having to carry it around, which is why i switched to the smaller model with the 6s. I found that while i enjoy the larger phone for typing and viewing content, it was much more annoying having to carry it in my pocket.

my current setup is an iPhone 8 for my work phone and SE for my personal line so im really in the small phone category. I even passed over the iPhone X for the 8.

KriStellar26

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
I love my iPhone 8+. At first I was questioning keeping such a large device.. I was at the point where I almost exchanged it for an 8 after a week's use.. BUT I am so glad I didn't. Now I LOVE it. I look at smaller phones and wonder how I used such a small device. There are many pluses for me.. Main reason why I changed phones initially was the size and camera. Those are both great, but I also love the battery life. I am hoping this phone lasts me years, because I hate the X and am afraid that's all I am going to see these next few years.

Reactions: Sean006

iPhonefreak79

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2016
once you get used to the plus, it just doesn't seem that big at all. Then you wish it was even a little bigger. I think that's why the note 8 is even on a bigger level which the X Plus next year will bring.
[doublepost=1513978477][/doublepost]
I've been using the Plus phones since the 6 Plus. Still have the 6 Plus, in fact, and like that best of all the models because it's the thinnest and lightest. Incredibly, Apple has made every Plus since the 6 both heavier and thicker, making a bad situation worse.

In short, the Plus phones are too big. The regular phones are too small (screen). There's no perfect solution, only imperfect. Best phone I ever had was the BlackBerry curve. Small and light.
If the X display was just as wide as the Plus, it would have been the perfect phone, I'd have to say.

Reactions: Sean006

SnyG

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I went from a 7 to an 8+ and got used to it within a week, and now struggle to type without error on anything smaller. The battery life and the camera alone are so, so worth it.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
buy
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new phone.

I am quite tempted by the plus size iphones - I quite like the big screen for being able to use them as a tool for photos, web, ppts, pdf reading... etc....
Now obviously it's humongous....and just trying it in the Apple store for some minutes doesn't really give me enough of an impression how it would be in everyday use.
Bit concerned about it's usability when e.g. just going out with nowhere to put it but the pockets of your jeans...during sports (running - using my iphone for music and usually holding it in my hand)...

What is your real life experience? For those who have one - would you get it again? Or rather switch back to the normal ones?

cheers
grani

PS: using an SE right now....

buy one outright from apple store [100% pay] and get a case and see how you go in two weeks. if you do not like it then return for a refund, they'll accept any excuse you give as long the phone is in pristine/none damaged condition.

----------

that being said, if you can afford to use two hands all the time then it is a nice proposition. in fact at one point when i weas using the plus phones it replaced my ipads altogether [placebo side effect but yea]

plus models [7 and 8] also have the added portrait feature which is nice for getting DSLR-like photos, obviously bokeh cant be match to a dedicated dslr specific for that task, but it will be nice for the masses who need a phone and great camera

battery life also superb, no flaw there.

again go back to the first sentence, have a try and see in 2 weeks how you Feel about it. for me its a nice experience but i went with the x due to redesign and new biometric features and the dual ois in camera was a dealbreaker, i am a photojunkie.

Miss_Mac

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2017
Subjective, but I miss the one handed use. Outside that and the price, I am fine with my 7+.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Still have the 6 Plus, in fact, and like that best of all the models because it's the thinnest and lightest.

the Plus phones are too big

You should reread your quotes listed above. First you talk about how the 'iPhone 6 Plus is the Thinnest and lightest' , and then yet you go on to post the 'iPhone Plus phones are too big.' So you like the iPhone 6 because it's Thin and light, and yet it's too big? That doesn't make any sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.