Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your M2 Mac Studio make a high-pitched “whine” noise?

• Yes

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • No

Votes: 91 82.7%

• Total voters

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Just received my base Mac Studio (M2 Max), and during initial setup and playing around with some basic stuff it’s been VERY silent! No whine at all! Only when I put my ear within 5-10 cm distance to the backside of the machine can I start hearing a subtle fan sound (again: not whine noise!). As soon as I move my head further away, the fan sound completely disappears. And I do have a pretty sensitive hearing, so this is extremely promising! And, just to mention the real reason I bought this machine: the performance appears to be an enormous step up from my old M1 Mac Mini. Wow! In Logic Pro it seems to use less than half the CPU ressouces. This will probably last me at least 3-4 years. I will report back if anything changes on the whine front.

I’ve got an M1 Max exactly like that ☺️

crackcell

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2023
Hello, It's my first post, and basically created the account to point to a review done by a famous youtuber, where he was able to listen the noise (single time during benchmarks).

I mean, I didn't bought the m1 studio because it was too risky for me, since I am very sensitive about noise, and was waiting for the confirmation about the m2....

Even if the noise is not there when running at base clock speed, it seems the problems is not totally gone at all.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Against what I really want to do, I ordered an M2 Ultra Mac Studio. I will report back, it will ship in a couple weeks. M1 generation REALLY soured my opinion on the Studio so we will see if M2 loses me forever with the product, or if it will redeem it. LAST chance, not going to trade it in 5 times like before, none of that mess again.

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
Against what I really want to do, I ordered an M2 Ultra Mac Studio. I will report back, it will ship in a couple weeks. M1 generation REALLY soured my opinion on the Studio so we will see if M2 loses me forever with the product, or if it will redeem it. LAST chance, not going to trade it in 5 times like before, none of that mess again.
I think you are thinking about this 100% the correct way - try it out, and be unforgiving about returning it if it makes a noise. Curious to hear your report.

Think77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
I really hope that it turns out to be perfect - for you personally, and for the product line as a whole (as you indicate as well). I think many of us have really come to appreciate the Studio form factor (minus the lack of internal upgradability) and would love to see it succeed.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Would be great if we could differentiate between the Max and Ultra Models. With the 1stGen, the Max was more prone to whistling than the Ultra iirc
Somebody knows troubleshooting.

Why is it so hard for people that have legitimate complaints or issues with products and services - adults - fail to give full details in Forums?

not a direct complaint to anyone on these forums or specific to MacRumors at all. You know how much simpler threads would be, how much more useful those sharing findings, solutions, new questions or similar issues would BE a LOT simpler for people to search for along with saving sites so much storage data?!

I'm curious if the whine some are experiencing occurs with?

Certain standby to wake state of apps loaded? RAM used?
Only at initial boot and the subsequent few minutes thereafter, but doesn't re-occur if by automatic or manual wake from sleep state (even if LCD isn't put to sleep by SSDs are)?
Specific to certain apps or specific workflows within certain apps are run?

Reactions: George Dawes

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Somebody knows troubleshooting.

Why is it so hard for people that have legitimate complaints or issues with products and services - adults - fail to give full details in Forums?

not a direct complaint to anyone on these forums or specific to MacRumors at all. You know how much simpler threads would be, how much more useful those sharing findings, solutions, new questions or similar issues would BE a LOT simpler for people to search for along with saving sites so much storage data?!

I'm curious if the whine some are experiencing occurs with?

Certain standby to wake state of apps loaded? RAM used?
Only at initial boot and the subsequent few minutes thereafter, but doesn't re-occur if by automatic or manual wake from sleep state (even if LCD isn't put to sleep by SSDs are)?
Specific to certain apps or specific workflows within certain apps are run?
My M1 Ultra whines the second I turn it on, even at idle with nothing open. I don't have sensitive enough equipment to record it, it is very very VERY VERY VERY faint but really hurts my ears. My head needs to be in the right position too, probably due to the sound bouncing off walls and things. I tried recording it with my phone and desktop microphone. But it just doesn't pick it up. I need something more powerful but I am not going to buy something just for that.

And like I have said many times, this is the 6th one, all whined at startup/very shortly after.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My M1 Ultra whines the second I turn it on, even at idle with nothing open. I don't have sensitive enough equipment to record it, it is very very VERY VERY VERY faint but really hurts my ears. My head needs to be in the right position too, probably due to the sound bouncing off walls and things. I tried recording it with my phone and desktop microphone. But it just doesn't pick it up. I need something more powerful but I am not going to buy something just for that.

And like I have said many times, this is the 6th one, all whined at startup/very shortly after.

Hmm I can appreciate the annoyance in your experience.

I’d wager you have VERY good hearing with very minimal loss of hairs in your hears and probably not really exposed to in-ear headphones nor loud concerts.

Just out of curiosity, I’d you google Teen Hearing Buzz and play on your iPhone or Android phone speakers in a quiet room can you ese every instance and does any really hurt your ears as bad as the whine on the Mac Studios you’ve had?

I have a feeling you will at all frequencies even if your phone is placed in another room (best test).

Do you think having sound suppression/deadening foam on the walls in your room would help?

Think77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015

Truly sounds like a bad experience. I think a normal iPhone mic should be able to pick up that sound, since it covers most of the frequency spectrum (to the best of my knowledge). If you make a recording, in the resulting file you could try to boost the affected frequency range with an EQ (hardware or software) to better hear and identify the sound.

PS: This is somewhat off-topic, so new readers should be aware that this regards the M1 Mac Studio. We should keep it short 😊

jb-from-fl

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2022
Hmm I can appreciate the annoyance in your experience.

I’d wager you have VERY good hearing with very minimal loss of hairs in your hears and probably not really exposed to in-ear headphones nor loud concerts.

Just out of curiosity, I’d you google Teen Hearing Buzz and play on your iPhone or Android phone speakers in a quiet room can you ese every instance and does any really hurt your ears as bad as the whine on the Mac Studios you’ve had?

I have a feeling you will at all frequencies even if your phone is placed in another room (best test).

Do you think having sound suppression/deadening foam on the walls in your room would help?
There were very strong details posted last year, I had two M1 MAX machines. One did it from day one. The other started on day 10. The day that second one started I could hear it from the hallway before entering the room. It is at 2100-2300hz moves around a little and varies by machine based, it is about 8-10db above the white noise the computer is making. You can not suppress it. You can only cover it by raising the noise floor in the room to 30+db. If you used it in an moderately busy office you would never hear it. In a silent studio or alone in a private home it will drive you up the wall. BTW, was checking here as I got a SILENT M2 Pro Mac mini, I am happy with everything except its 3 monitor limit. ZERO fan or whine noise.

sauria

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA
There were very strong details posted last year, I had two M1 MAX machines. One did it from day one. The other started on day 10. The day that second one started I could hear it from the hallway before entering the room. It is at 2100-2300hz moves around a little and varies by machine based, it is about 8-10db above the white noise the computer is making. You can not suppress it. You can only cover it by raising the noise floor in the room to 30+db. If you used it in an moderately busy office you would never hear it. In a silent studio or alone in a private home it will drive you up the wall. BTW, was checking here as I got a SILENT M2 Pro Mac mini, I am happy with everything except its 3 monitor limit. ZERO fan or whine noise.
Good to know, thanks.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Well my M2 Ultra Mac Studio arrived today. So far, no whine/whistle at all from this. And it is actually much much MUCH faster with day to day things. I can't imagine the difference with M1 and M2 is even noticeable, so my M1 Ultra must have some odd issues going on with it.

jtkiley

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Well my M2 Ultra Mac Studio arrived today. So far, no whine/whistle at all from this. And it is actually much much MUCH faster with day to day things. I can't imagine the difference with M1 and M2 is even noticeable, so my M1 Ultra must have some odd issues going on with it.

Received my M2 Max on Saturday and I'm happy to say it is DEAD QUIET. The difference compared to the M1 Max I sent back after a few days is night and day.

Cast my vote for No Whine accordingly.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I got an M2 Max Mac Studio (CTO; arrived last week), and it's very quiet. I can't hear it above the (quiet) noise floor unless I get to within about a foot of it. I'm very happy with it so far.

T_Oscura

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2016
I just returned my M2 Max Studio because of a constant whining noise. It was barely audible, but it was still present and I could not accept it at this price point. Based on the poll and the comments here, it looks like the issue is improved somewhat, as most of the users are not experiencing it with the M2 generation.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
I just returned my M2 Max Studio because of a constant whining noise. It was barely audible, but it was still present and I could not accept it at this price point. Based on the poll and the comments here, it looks like the issue is improved somewhat, as most of the users are not experiencing it with the M2 generation.
Thanks for sharing, that's useful to know.

Out of curiosity, did you try to get a replacement M2 Max Studio to see if it also has a noise or are you skipping this generation of Mac Studio then altogether?

Reactions: sauria

Think77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Was the whine there from the beginning, or did it develop over time?

T_Oscura

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2016
Thanks for sharing, that's useful to know.

Out of curiosity, did you try to get a replacement M2 Max Studio to see if it also has a noise or are you skipping this generation of Mac Studio then altogether?
I'm skipping it. My Studio Display also arrived with some cosmetic damage, so I decided to wait for the M3 instead and sent the items back together.

Was the whine there from the beginning, or did it develop over time?

I'm not sure. I had the Studio for 3 days. We have extreme high temperatures here in Europe so I believe my fan was masking it when I first tried it. I noticed it on the second day.

Think77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
I'm skipping it. My Studio Display also arrived with some cosmetic damage, so I decided to wait for the M3 instead and sent the items back together.

I'm not sure. I had the Studio for 3 days. We have extreme high temperatures here in Europe so I believe my fan was masking it when I first tried it. I noticed it on the second day.
Thanks for clarifying!

Reactions: T_Oscura

gah5037

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2022
Just received my base M2 Mac Studio and its MILES better than the M1 Mac Studios (multiple) I tried and returned due to high pitch whine that I could hear from anywhere in my room.

For the M2 If I put my ear up right to the vents I can hear slight mechanical whirring and whining but you can't hear it from the front of the machine at all. Think this is a keeper!

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
Just received my base M2 Mac Studio and its MILES better than the M1 Mac Studios (multiple) I tried and returned due to high pitch whine that I could hear from anywhere in my room.

For the M2 If I put my ear up right to the vents I can hear slight mechanical whirring and whining but you can't hear it from the front of the machine at all. Think this is a keeper!
Thanks for sharing, it's always useful to get more data points.

Do you mind sharing if the M2 Mac Studio is the M2 Max or the M2 Ultra? And likewise, were the previous M1 Studios Max or Ultra?

Reactions: sauria

JayTylerSKL

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2023
I bought M2 Max Mac Studio 38 Core 64GB Ram 1TB SSD ... There is intermittent coil whine ... not related to fan, I have tried changed fan speed. The high pitched whine is independent of fan speed. It is not related to CPU or GPU loads, it just come and go every few sec. It not loud at all but I put the unit on the desk and I can hear it. So I exchanged new unit with same spec and will have the same whine sound, intermittent.
this is the recording ... from where I am sitting I can't hear any fan noise, only high pitched sound can be heard. I want to know any M2 users have similar sound from their unit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.