Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone XS users - upgrading to a new phone or keep your current phone?

• Yes, upgraded to iPhone 11

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Yes, upgraded to iPhone 11 Pro

Votes: 33 23.1%
  • Yes, upgraded to iPhone 11 Max

Votes: 42 29.4%
  • No, keeping my XS for now

Votes: 58 40.6%

• Total voters

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
I upgraded to 11 Pro from Xs, one year gap, and I felt it was completely worth it. The battery of the 11 Pro actually carries you throughout the day without worrying of having to charge midway (unlike the Xs), the camera system feels all-new with so much potential in night mode and ultra wide, i'm a happy guy.

Getting a new phone also has the opportunity to change the colour, had a Silver XS which I did like (and still do) but upon now having the Space Grey 11 Pro, wow. I have to say, it is a classic, timeless beautiful phone, how the frosted glass on the back contrasts with the dark sides and front.

Anyone else upgrade from an Xs they got last year to an 11 series phone?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wide opeN

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I completely agree with you. I upgraded from my Qualcomm iPhone X. So worth it. The camera is mind blowing. Battery life is pretty sick too.

CyberCat

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
I upgraded from the XS to the 11 Pro Max, for the battery and camera improvements, and have been extremely satisfied. Absolutely worth it in my opinion despite the short 1-year gap.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
I also upgraded from the XS to the 11Pro Max — I wanted the larger screen, camera improvements and the awesome battery life. So far I love the 11 pro max

Reactions: YaBoiD

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I had the XS. Loved the size. But hated the battery life. Got the 11 pro max now. Love it. I’ve never minded the larger devices. And I’ve adjusted again to the size. The battery life is insane. That alone for me is worth the price. And the matte finish is nice also.

Reactions: YaBoiD

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
I'm torn. My Xs is great, great battery, takes good pictures. But I find myself drawn to the 11 Pro for no discernible reason.

In regards to the last sentence, I felt the same way too but then was so glad I made the upgrade.

Night Mode just completely lets me take clear and bright pictures of stuff (at night) thats never before been possible. Big leap and difference (if you're into night photography).

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I upgraded from a XS to 11 Pro. The camera and battery are the big improvements but, I find the overall experience (smoother, faster, better LTE connectivity) is better compared to the XS.

Reactions: Martyimac

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
Holding on to my Xs. Still enjoy 3D Touch, performance is phenomenal, and battery good enough to get me trough the day. Not to mention the cameras are pretty damn good but lacking night mode. The new phones are tempting but with the 2020 refresh around the corner, I’d rather wait and see if I’m blown away (which did not happen this year).

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
I upgraded from an Xs to the 11 Pro because my battery life was terrible, the max capacity on the Xs was 89% and it never got me through the day.

the 11 Pro is excellent in the power department, easily lasts a full day and the other things like camera, better signal etc are bonuses.

Adam

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
As mentioned on other threads... holding out for next year. I picked up a Tesla Model 3 on iPhone launch day this year. It has better battery life and cameras than the iPhone 11 Pro anyway. Still no native USB-C though support though.

browser740

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2017
IM WAITING FOR THE. S. VERSION... SO XS MAX TO 11S PRO MAX. I HAVE ONLY EVER BOUGHT THE S VERSION.

ONE ISSUE... MUST HAVE USBC...

Reactions: StellarVixen

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Arguably, the 11 Pro is actually the S version of the X. The XS wasn't much of an S.

I upgraded on the IUP from XS Max to 12 Pro Max, mostly for the camera and battery runtime. I will say that this is the first time in years when I think Apple has improved the camera enough to make buying a new phone >for the camera improvements< a reasonable decision. The camera improvements have mostly been incremental from year to year. This year is a real leap IMO.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Arguably, the 11 Pro is actually the S version of the X. The XS wasn't much of an S.

I upgraded on the IUP from XS Max to 12 Pro Max, mostly for the camera and battery runtime. I will say that this is the first time in years when I think Apple has improved the camera enough to make buying a new phone >for the camera improvements< a reasonable decision. The camera improvements have mostly been incremental from year to year. This year is a real leap IMO.

Yeah, like 7 actually was the S version of 6, and 6S wasn't much of an S.

Do you realize that "S" suffix means only incremental upgrade?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
There wasn't anywhere in the poll to indicate purchasing the iPhone 11 Pro and retaining the iPhone XS.... That's what I have done. The iPhone X was traded in as part of the purchase of the new phone. I now have the XS set up with my home phone line and the new 11 Pro as my "on-the-go" line, i.e.,the iPhone that goes most places with me. Simply a matter of swapping around physical SIM cards.... Yes, I know I can have both phone lines on one physical iPhone but am not ready to do that yet. Maybe next year.....

Right now I wanted the new triple cameras on the iPhone 11 Pro, and that was my primary motivation. I still love the XS and will be using her throughout this next year, too, but the iPhone 11 Pro will be the one with me out-and-about and therefore probably capturing more images as I run across interesting subjects to photograph. Those three lenses offer interesting opportunities for creativity......

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014

The 6s was a big upgrade but it wasn’t visible to them human eye. Much needed hardware upgrades and improvements over the 6. Stronger aluminum included. After that, I agree with you.

Reactions: AlphaGuitarist

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Do you realize that the XS upgraded almost nothing other than the SOC? The i-word that describes the X to XS transition is not incremental but indistinguishable, or nearly. Do you realize that the 6S was a *huge* leap forward in many ways, including:

- stronger chassis (no more 'bendgate')
- much faster Gen 2 TouchID
- 3D Touch, a great technology that Apple never really got behind

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Do you realize that the XS upgraded almost nothing other than the SOC? The i-word that describes the X to XS transition is not incremental but indistinguishable, or nearly. Do you realize that the 6S was a *huge* leap forward in many ways, including:

- stronger chassis (no more 'bendgate')
- much faster Gen 2 TouchID
- 3D Touch, a great technology that Apple never really got behind

For later two, I agree, but for stronger chassis? That was a structural flaw, that wasn't an "upgrade" but fixing what shouldn't have happened in the first case.

Faster TouchID and 3D Touch are not "huge".

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019

The 6 was basically a 5S in a bigger body. The 6S doubled the ram and the chip was significantly faster making it quite useable even today. I’d argue it’s the biggest S update in the iPhone lineup.

Reactions: Simacca and delpit7

floriano8812

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2018
Holding on to my Xs. Still enjoy 3D Touch, performance is phenomenal, and battery good enough to get me trough the day. Not to mention the cameras are pretty damn good but lacking night mode. The new phones are tempting but with the 2020 refresh around the corner, I’d rather wait and see if I’m blown away (which did not happen this year).

Maybe try "NeuralCam" for a night photos on your XS.

Reactions: prss14

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
For later two, I agree, but for stronger chassis? That was a structural flaw, that wasn't an "upgrade" but fixing what shouldn't have happened in the first case.

Faster TouchID and 3D Touch are not "huge".

Bendgate - I agree, it was a flaw. On the other hand, it was a big change/improvement, but I take your point.

3D Touch was very innovative tech. Maybe "big" rather than "huge." Unfortunately it failed the market test but again I'd say "big."

The one I really want to disagree with is Gen 2 TouchID. It completely changed how I used the phone and how I felt about using it.

But at the end of the day this is all pretty subjective, so I'll leave it alone. Except for a question. Thinking about iPhone innovations, what really would be huge? LTE (4)? First TouchID (5S)? I think that after that the next thing I come to is FaceID. Thoughts?
[automerge]1570478846[/automerge]
The 6 was basically a 5S in a bigger body. The 6S doubled the ram and the chip was significantly faster making it quite useable even today. I’d argue it’s the biggest S update in the iPhone lineup.

On the other side, I'd argue that the 6 was probably the worst iPhone. And today they're virtually unusable, whereas the 6S is still viable if you're not too demanding.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I was underwhelmed with the upgrade from X to XS. However, going from the XS to 11 Pro has been fantastic. I'm absolutely loving the battery life boost, night mode, and wide angle lens.

Reactions: AlphaGuitarist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.