Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone XS users - upgrading to a new phone or keep your current phone?

• Yes, upgraded to iPhone 11

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Yes, upgraded to iPhone 11 Pro

Votes: 33 23.1%
  • Yes, upgraded to iPhone 11 Max

Votes: 42 29.4%
  • No, keeping my XS for now

Votes: 58 40.6%

• Total voters

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Nope. Bored of the same design language. First time I have never upgraded since the 3G. Phones have reached a plateau now, I’m also waiting (and hoping) for the redesign next year.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
The notch will be no more next year. I don’t understand why anyone would buy an iPhone with a notch today knowing a redesign All display model is upcoming. I love my max but I know the 2020 iPhone is the one we will be drooling over. The 11 is the end of an iPhone cycle. End of an iPhone era, in terms of hardware design and a brand new era is being readied to emerge in only 10/11 months..It would be silly to upgrade this year imo.

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
The notch will be no more next year. I don’t understand why anyone would buy an iPhone with a notch today knowing a redesign All display model is upcoming. I love my max but I know the 2020 iPhone is the one we will be drooling over. The 11 is the end of an iPhone cycle. End of an iPhone era, in terms of hardware design and a brand new era is being readied to emerge in only 10/11 months..It would be silly to upgrade this year imo.
That’s all true. I still upgraded my XS to the 11 Pro because of the better battery life and camera. Assuming the 12 series makes substantial changes, I’ll upgrade again.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
That’s all true. I still upgraded my XS to the 11 Pro because of the better battery life and camera. Assuming the 12 series makes substantial changes, I’ll upgrade again.
I purchase my devices outright and am not in a position to upgrade annually. All good if that’s what you do but i personally need to be more economical with my decisions. 2-3 years ownership fits me best.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
The notch will be no more next year. I don’t understand why anyone would buy an iPhone with a notch today knowing a redesign All display model is upcoming.

Maybe because some people consider the notch a complete non-issue? The only time I ever notice or think about it is when I see threads on here.

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
I purchase my devices outright and am not in a position to upgrade annually. All good if that’s what you do but i personally need to be more economical with my decisions. 2-3 years ownership fits me best.
I can respect that. I usually have personal budget goals every year. If it wasn’t for the trade-in program, I would have not bought the Pro.

Reactions: Aydy

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Maybe because some people consider the notch a complete non-issue? The only time I ever notice or think about it is when I see threads on here.
Come September the majority of upgraders would choose the iPhone with all display, without the notch. I agree it’s a non issue just now but knowing the 11 pro is the last notched device from Apple allows me to feel comfortable holding on to the max..forgetting the 11 and waiting 10 months for the game changer. I’d happily use the new model until the next redesign surfaced. I tend to change devices when they start to look outdated, superseded with a new design and not chips, camera etc. Apple devices are all spec’d perfectly capable regardless.

I’m just thinking ahead and presuming a redesign is imminent it would make sense for my upgrade money to go on the upcoming model..if I upgraded from max to 11 pro right now It’d be much of the same and I’d ultimately feel disappointed that I couldn’t justify upgrading again in September. I guess I’m more exited for a redesign than the camera or battery of this years model which incidentally will both be present or bettered By iP12 pro anyways.

Last edited:

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
I agree it’s a non issue just now but knowing the 11 pro is the last notched device from Apple allows me to feel comfortable holding on to the max..

Is this a fact? Other than a few rumors here and there, I’ve yet to see any factual evidence pointing to the 11 Pro being the last notched iPhone.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Is this a fact? Other than a few rumors here and there, I’ve yet to see any factual evidence pointing to the 11 Pro being the last notched iPhone.

Your absolutely correct in assuming I have no factual. The ‘Rumours’ becoming more solid by the day and coming from the same normally reliable sources have me trusting this will be happening 2020. I myself take rumours with a pinch of salt usually but I give credence to surfacing reports suggesting 2020 will be an overhaul. Also, we know it’s coming. I personally wouldn’t say it’s overdue. I love the current design language but It’s apple and they move with the times, albeit slightly behind but being apple, when they do announce these all display devices there will be nothing like it ?

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Your absolutely correct in assuming I have no factual. The ‘Rumours’ becoming more solid by the day and coming from the same normally reliable sources have me trusting this will be happening 2020. I myself take rumours with a pinch of salt usually but I give credence to surfacing reports suggesting 2020 will be an overhaul. Also, we know it’s coming. I personally wouldn’t say it’s overdue. I love the current design language but It’s apple and they move with the times, albeit slightly behind but being apple, when they do announce these all display devices there will be nothing like it ?

There has been a lot of talk that Apple moved to a 3 year design cycle, which certainly suggests that we will see a redesign next year. However, I don’t think we’ll see a truly notchless device. FaceID still requires a lot of space to accommodate all its components, as does the front facing camera. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a smaller notch, but I don’t think it’ll completely disappear; not yet, anyway. Then again, Apple could surprise us all and deliver a notchless device, with all the FaceID and camera components hidden under the display. One way or the next, 2020 should bring an interesting upgrade cycle!

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I upgraded to 11 Pro from Xs, one year gap, and I felt it was completely worth it. The battery of the 11 Pro actually carries you throughout the day without worrying of having to charge midway (unlike the Xs), the camera system feels all-new with so much potential in night mode and ultra wide, i'm a happy guy.

Getting a new phone also has the opportunity to change the colour, had a Silver XS which I did like (and still do) but upon now having the Space Grey 11 Pro, wow. I have to say, it is a classic, timeless beautiful phone, how the frosted glass on the back contrasts with the dark sides and front.

Anyone else upgrade from an Xs they got last year to an 11 series phone?
Had the Xs and has terrible battery. Bought Apple smart battery case and it is just heavy and bulky. Upgraded to 11 pro max and the battery is just insane. No regrets!

...how can people say the battery life on the XS is naff???

I'm still on my XS (owned since release) and I easily get 2-3 days worth on a single charge......

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
They know it’s not “naff” but this is more to do with justifying a purchase or upgrade. Kinda like bragging rights. The 11 pro got a camera and battery bump and folk who upgraded are basically shouting loud that their upgrade was Soooo worthit because the battery sh*** all over anything that came before. Swings and roundabouts. Happens every year here ?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

Before the 11 Pro came out there were stories about Touch ID making a big comeback in the screen itself. Didn't happen. Not saying the notch won't get removed eventually but who knows when that will happen?

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Before the 11 Pro came out there were stories about Touch ID making a big comeback in the screen itself. Didn't happen. Not saying the notch won't get removed eventually but who knows when that will happen?

My thoughts exactly. I believe that Apple is all-in with FaceID and TouchID won't be making a comeback. I'd prefer to have a notch-free display, but the notch doesn't really bother me.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Harlandos

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
Has was it going back to the 5.8’? I thought about returning the 11 Pro for the Max, but not sure I want to this year (especially if Apple is releasing an OLED 6.1’ model in 2020).

I'm enjoying the clear reduction in weight and there's a definite difference in how easilt i can handle it 9fpr one handed typing etc..). For me, the best size is that of the iPhone 11. Right in the middle of the Pro and Pro Max.

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
I'm enjoying the clear reduction in weight and there's a definite difference in how easilt i can handle it 9fpr one handed typing etc..). For me, the best size is that of the iPhone 11. Right in the middle of the Pro and Pro Max.
The iPhone 11 size is perfect for me also. Hopefully the 5.8’ will transition to 6.1 next year for iPhone 12

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.