Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you prefer?

• Xbox Series X/S

• PS5/PS5 Digital

Results are only viewable after voting.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I'm curious to see pros and cons of getting either. I got my first Xbox with the Xbox One. Prior, I'd only had Playstations. I have no idea why I should favor one over the other. Thoughts?

Is something about either controller better than the other?

Why do you favor one over the other, specifically?

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Honestly I'm an hardcore Xbox fan but recently after seeing the PS5 and all of the games that are coming out I am excited for PlayStation

Ive seen many games that I'm curious to play on PlayStation and this time I feel like Xbox took their time with the release and didn't really bring anything to fight for this round between the two consoles

Still love Xbox and still going to stand by them cheers

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Why I'm replacing my PS4 Pro with a Series X:

-Gamepass
-Flight simulator 2020
-Expandable storage: 1TB + 1TB expansion card = 2TB
The PS5 has swappable but not expandable storage. Therefore if you buy a 1TB SSD, it will simply replace the internal 825GB drive. You will end up with 1TB, a net increase of 125GB.
-I can't stand the PS5 colour scheme until it's available in black.
-DirectML: AI powered anti-aliasing, texture filtering and resolution scaling that will enable me to run games in 1440p with high refresh rate but achieve 4k-type clarity and detail.

What I will miss about Playstation
-GranTurismo(I'm a big petrol head and am addicted to racing simulation games)
-Ability to play some of the digital games that I have purchased.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
PS5 wins for me purely and only because I can use it as PS4 pro for backwards compat.

In my opinion neither the PS5 or Series X have any good launch games.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Since most games were multi-platform, it usually always came down to the handful of exclusives released on each platform. The Playstation exclusives (Uncharted, TLOU, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, Ratchet & Clank, etc.) have always had much more appeal to me than the XBox exclusives (Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Fable, Sea of Thieves, etc.).

Now that Microsoft has purchased ZeniMax, there is the disctinct possibility that some former multiplatform franchises could become XBox exclusive at some point (Fallout, Doom, Elder Scrolls, Dishonored). That would at least be cause to re-evaluate that preference of platform-exclusives.

A lot of people are going nuts over Game Pass. Personally, I have no use for a gaming subscription model. I don't have all that much time for gaming, and I've been known to take 2-3 years to actually finish a game. So far, the games on Game Pass seem to be rotating, just recently a friend told me "I finally started RDR2, and a week later it's removed from Game Pass". So this model of gaming is not for me. But I can see how it appeals to younger people who have much more time for gaming and finish their games in less than a few years. :D

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
PS5 wins for me purely and only because I can use it as PS4 pro for backwards compat.

In my opinion neither the PS5 or Series X have any good launch games.

For me, PS5 has one good launch title: Demon's Souls! I have come to appreciate the Soulsborne games after playing Bloodborne on PS4, and I have never really played Demon's Souls. But I still need to finish Dark Souls 3, so I am not in a hurry.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Always been an XBOX fan since the og XBOX. I had the playstation before that, but I honestly can't stand the tiny controllers that PS has.

And Gamepass has been an absolutely amazing deal. Using MS Rewards by doing bing searches and the daily rewards, I haven't paid for a single month of Gamepass out of pocket. And I have found some true gems because of it that I never would have played, nor paid for either. Slay the Spire and Undermine I have put in both over 70 hours of just those two games, and I normally only play after the kids have gone to bed. Not to mention Dead Cells.

And thanks to Gamepass, I have been able to try some AAA games that everyone else loves, and I realized just aren't for me, like GTA V and Witcher 3. That right there saved me money.

Reactions: gkarris

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sony fan here, but thanks to game pass if I were to get the next gen consoles, I'm leaning heavily towards the Xbox. The deciding factor for me was MS' recent purchases of obsidian and Bethesda. Their game pass is looking very stout.

I may not end up buying a console simply because my Razer Laptop is a beast and I'm pretty happy with its performance, and I get all of the games that I want on the game pass.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Not sure if there's a poll option for my situation.

I never was a serious gamer, but took a break to concentrate on my little kids, until 3 years ago when I got the Xbox One X. Been able to collect mostly digital titles, and have enjoyed Game Pass.

This time around, I've already secured a Series X pre-order, and I've got a PS5 disc version coming from Walmart. I'm hoping one of them has good UHD support so I can replace my standalone UHD player.

Having both is kinda ridiculous, but technically my job involves the gaming industry so I justify things ;)

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Eventually it may come down to who has the better streaming service 3-5 years from today.

Remember that that game console manufacturers don't realize any profits from their console hardware sales. There's nothing new about this, Nintendo admitted this back in the Nineties. They make money from content sales (including game subscriptions) and to a lesser extent peripheral hardware sales.

Ultimately, much of consumer gaming will end up streaming from cloud servers and will be largely platform agnostic as the content and hardware become detached. We're already seeing game title exclusivity become eroded. We can play Halo on a PC.

Today, hardly one buys CD/DVD players and shiny silver discs. Netflix saw the writing on the wall. Blockbuster did not.

At some point in the near future, your TV will end up being a giant 60" framebuffer for a cloud-based video library.

I won't vote in this poll since I have no intention of buying either console.

I believe the next generation of TV-based console game hardware will be something really inexpensive, like a Roku Streaming Stick or Amazon Fire Stick type device which replaced the $400+ TiVo.

The value-add of the gaming hardware will likely come down to content compression technology. A cloud gaming server will do the high-quality rendering (like ray-tracing) and send a compressed stream to the local client which will uncompress it realtime back to high-quality video imagery.

Another approach would be to offload some of the local 3D graphics workload to a common mobile device that already has good 3D performance (like your iPhone) rather than duplicate it in dedicated hardware, then just airplay the resulting graphics to the TV (again a dumb framebuffer).

The VR industry is undergoing a similar transformation. Oculus/Facebook has announced their exit from the PCVR arena. It will mostly end up as cloud content streaming wirelessly to thin clients. While the VR industry introduced the VirtualLink standard (uses the same USB-C port connection), no VR headset manufacturer actually deployed this. They probably already figured out that it was all moving to the cloud. Unsurprisingly, Nvidia dumped the VirtualLink port from their just-announced Ampere (RTX 30) cards.

We are probably witnessing the final generation of traditional console videogame hardware.

The elephant in the room is Steam.

Last edited:

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Good news: My partner wants to buy and pay for an external display for the office/nerd cave. It could also double as a display for my Series X without me having to justify the selfish purchase of a monitor just for my Xbox. ?

I have a non-HDR 4K TV which will be replaced in 1-2 years when the LG C9 has more competition.

Bad news: I am struggling to find a display that ticks all the boxes.

Most screens are either:
-4k but capped at 60hz
-144hz but max 1440p
-4K but low rent HDR at 320-350 brightness
-Flagship monitors that are over 28 inches and cost £1,500+

Basically every screen either compromise HDR, resolution or response rate.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Xbox fan here, from the beginning. Although I do not get a lot of time to game, winter is coming up soon and I do a little bit more gaming then.

Xbox Series X for me, why:

-Xbox Game Pass
-MS Flight Simulator 2020
-Love the Xbox controller, HATE the PS controller.
-Basically all of my friends have Xbox & Xbox Live, so moving to PS would be kind of stupid from a gaming with friends perspective.

Several more reasons, but do not have enough time right now to type it all out!

Whatever you pick, I hope you all enjoy your new consoles and games!

:apple:

Reactions: miamialley

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Sony fan here, but thanks to game pass if I were to get the next gen consoles, I'm leaning heavily towards the Xbox. The deciding factor for me was MS' recent purchases of obsidian and Bethesda. Their game pass is looking very stout.

I may not end up buying a console simply because my Razer Laptop is a beast and I'm pretty happy with its performance, and I get all of the games that I want on the game pass.
Thanks to cross-platform multiplayer choosing one console over the other doesn’t prohibit you from playing flagship titles like fortnite, battlefield, cod, NBA or fifa with your friends.

Ultimately, much of consumer gaming will end up streaming from cloud servers and will be largely platform agnostic as the content and hardware become detached. We're already seeing game title exclusivity become eroded. We can play Halo on a PC.

Well said. Wider availability of low latency internet through 5G, Fiber to home and starlink will make Google, Amazon and possibly even Apple contenders as big or bigger than the incumbents.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Remember that that game console manufacturers don't realize any profits from their console hardware sales. There's nothing new about this, Nintendo admitted this back in the Nineties. They make money from content sales (including game subscriptions) and to a lesser extent peripheral hardware sales.
The landscape has changed between 1990 and now. MS and Sony are pushing the games subscription and streaming. However Nintendo is still heavily involved in making their profits from game AND hardware sales. Nintendo officially said they would not sell the Switch at a loss and till this day they still sell the Switch at a slight profit. It's very close to break even though.

Currently MS and Sony's focus is very different to Nintendo's. Will that change in the future? Maybe? We don't know.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks to cross-platform multiplayer choosing one console over the other doesn’t prohibit you from playing flagship titles like fortnite, battlefield, cod, NBA or fifa with your friends.
There are still games that are not cross platform but as I said, I'm liking what Microsoft is doing, I don't even need a console to play xbox games. I may end up getting one, but I'm in no rush

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I grew up with PlayStation and they continue to churn out exclusives that lead the industry while still getting all the AAA cross platform titles.

As long as Sony continues to produce exclusives that raise the bar, I’ll continue to give them my money.

Reactions: compwiz1202

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Expandable storage: 1TB + 1TB expansion card = 2TB
The PS5 has swappable but not expandable storage. Therefore if you buy a 1TB SSD, it will simply replace the internal 825GB drive. You will end up with 1TB, a net increase of 125GB.

This part is not true. The console is shipping with an empty SSD tray.

It’s also rumored to have completely removable/replaceable sides pieces (the white parts).

Last edited:
Reactions: Macalicious2011

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
So, does anyone have any advice on how to secure an Xbox Series X preorder? Best site, time, etc? I can't get anything.

At this point I would keep a close on eye on each company's social media. Gamestop Last week tweeted that more PS5's are coming in. I would assume that is the same for Xbox Series X. I would keep an eye on MSFT's store as well.

As far as time, there's no way to say. Bots have taken over the tech pre-order game this year. Anytime stock is restored, Bots will buy out in sec's.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014

-Gamepass
-Flight simulator 2020
-Expandable storage: 1TB + 1TB expansion card = 2TB
-I can't stand the PS5 colour scheme until it's available in black.
-DirectML: AI powered anti-aliasing, texture filtering and resolution scaling that will enable me to run games in 1440p with high refresh rate but achieve 4k-type clarity and detail.

What I will miss about Playstation
-GranTurismo(I'm a big petrol head and am addicted to racing simulation games)
-Ability to play some of the digital games that I have purchased.

Forza will fill your need for speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.