Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you prefer?

• Xbox Series X/S

• PS5/PS5 Digital

Results are only viewable after voting.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Sony fan here, but thanks to game pass if I were to get the next gen consoles, I'm leaning heavily towards the Xbox. The deciding factor for me was MS' recent purchases of obsidian and Bethesda. Their game pass is looking very stout.

I may not end up buying a console simply because my Razer Laptop is a beast and I'm pretty happy with its performance, and I get all of the games that I want on the game pass.

Interesting. I am thinking about selling my gaming rig and just sticking with the new Xbox, since the console perf is getting up there. I figured the 5700XT in the iMac will fill in the need for any PC titles I play via Boot Camp.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Good news: My partner wants to buy and pay for an external display for the office/nerd cave. It could also double as a display for my Series X without me having to justify the selfish purchase of a monitor just for my Xbox. ?

I have a non-HDR 4K TV which will be replaced in 1-2 years when the LG C9 has more competition.

Bad news: I am struggling to find a display that ticks all the boxes.

Most screens are either:
-4k but capped at 60hz
-144hz but max 1440p
-4K but low rent HDR at 320-350 brightness
-Flagship monitors that are over 28 inches and cost £1,500+

Basically every screen either compromise HDR, resolution or response rate.
if you believe their claims https://evedevices.com/pages/full-specs offers a monitor that seemingly meets your issues.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
This part is not true. The console is shipping with an empty SSD tray.

It’s also rumored to have completely removable/replaceable sides pieces (the white parts).
Really? I have not read that before but hope that the empty secondary SSD tray is true and is partially the reason why the PS5 is so big.

Forza will fill your need for speed.
Forza is an arcade game. Granturismo is a simulation game. Very different games. I prefer granturismo.

if you believe their claims https://evedevices.com/pages/full-specs offers a monitor that seemingly meets your issues.
Too much of a gamble until the monitor has been reviewed. There is no details about who the panel of panels will be made by.

Interesting. I am thinking about selling my gaming rig and just sticking with the new Xbox, since the console perf is getting up there. I figured the 5700XT in the iMac will fill in the need for any PC titles I play via Boot Camp.
The new consoles have great performance and will be better than entry level gaming PCs. However the target for PS5 and Series Xis "just" 4k/60hz. The latest RTX 3080/3090 cards are hitting 4k at 80fps+ in many games.

PC gaming will still be worth it if you enjoy building rigs and enjoying top graphics.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Really? I have not read that before but hope that the empty secondary SSD tray is true and is partially the reason why the PS5 is so big.

Forza is an arcade game. Granturismo is a simulation game. Very different games. I prefer granturismo.

Too much of a gamble until the monitor has been reviewed. There is no details about who the panel of panels will be made by.

The new consoles have great performance and will be better than entry level gaming PCs. However the target for PS5 and Series Xis "just" 4k/60hz. The latest RTX 3080/3090 cards are hitting 4k at 80fps+ in many games.

PC gaming will still be worth it if you enjoy building rigs and enjoying top graphics.

A couple of things. Forza Motorsports 7 is very much a simulator type game. You’re thinking of Forza Horizons.

Series X targets 4K at 120hz with 12 Tflops, which puts it just above RTX 2080 Super... Well above any entry level PC. So, I’m not sure what you mean.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Series X targets 4K at 120hz with 12 Tflops, which puts it just above RTX 2080 Super... Well above any entry level PC. So, I’m not sure what you mean.

"On Xbox Series X, enjoy enhanced features like up to 4k resolution at 60FPS in campaign and greatly reduced load times creating seamless gameplay that ushers in the next generation of gaming.*"

HDR and Ray Tracing are taxing. Even Sony have mentioned 4k/60fps target for Spiderman on PS5, and that in single player mode.

I look forward go trying Forza Motorsport though.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009

Ya when Mark Cerny gave his boring tech update a month or so ago he mentioned there would be an empty SSD slot. You’ll have to use one capable of 5.5GB/s though.

But that’s probably not why the box is a giant. We’re not talking 2.5” SSDs. More like the little ram like chips found in laptops these days. Internal power supply with more of a focus on cooling than last generation are probably the reason for the massive size.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Good news: My partner wants to buy and pay for an external display for the office/nerd cave. It could also double as a display for my Series X without me having to justify the selfish purchase of a monitor just for my Xbox. ?

I have a non-HDR 4K TV which will be replaced in 1-2 years when the LG C9 has more competition.

Bad news: I am struggling to find a display that ticks all the boxes.

Most screens are either:
-4k but capped at 60hz
-144hz but max 1440p
-4K but low rent HDR at 320-350 brightness
-Flagship monitors that are over 28 inches and cost £1,500+

Basically every screen either compromise HDR, resolution or response rate.
Update. I have ordered a Dell 27 S2721DGF gaming monitor for £331 with a discount code. Delivery date is estimated for mid October.

There is no perfect monitor that ticks all boxes unless you want to buy a £800 monitor, LG CX or monitors that cost just as much as an LG CX.

I have a non-HR 4K TV in the lounge for chill campaign game play and don't feel bad about a 1440p monitor as some PS5 and Xbox games will likely run at max 1440p with full eye candy switched on.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I wish one of the companies would speak up about VR to help me make up my mind!

Phil Spencer has said that MS sees VR as something more for PC's rather than XBox.

So, I went and got a PSVR and upgraded from PS4 to PS4Pro, I love it and don't regret it...

Looking forward to Star Wars: Squadrons PSVR at the end of this week... ;)

btw: Sony's AIM Controller is incredible!!! Playing DOOM VFR with it is really hard to beat!

Reactions: scottcampbell

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Phil Spencer has said that MS sees VR as something more for PC's rather than XBox.

So, I went and got a PSVR and upgraded from PS4 to PS4Pro, I love it and don't regret it...

Looking forward to Star Wars: Squadrons PSVR at the end of this week... ;)

btw: Sony's AIM Controller is incredible!!! Playing DOOM VFR with it is really hard to beat!
If you could post about your impressions of Squadrons, I'd appreciate it!

On the topic of untethering, the Oculus Quest 2 looks really nice and only costs $300.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
If you could post about your impressions of Squadrons, I'd appreciate it!

On the topic of untethering, the Oculus Quest 2 looks really nice and only costs $300.

Squadrons has a lot of content - single player, practice, multi-player, missions, etc. IT IS A LOT OF FUN IN VR!!!

VR space games are the way to go!!

It is nice to have a Star Wars themed space sim to play again...

EVERSPACE, my most favorite Space Sim has different views - cockpit, third person, and space only (great for different PC setups).

Squadrons only has cockpit - I think because they want it to be more Sim than anything else.

Playing on PC, it is clearly designed with VR in mind, which is nice if you play both versions, the Devs didn't have to do much to adapt it to VR... (like No Mans Sky, the devs had a big chore to translate it to VR).

Can't wait to see this thing on a PS5....

Edit: for kicks I tried it in 4K/30/Medium on my PC, my old RX470 card sort of struggled, but it did look stunning on my 40" 4K TV I use on my desk as a PC monitor...

I'm going to get an XBox Series X instead of upgrading my PC GPU and put on my desk and hook it up the TV on my desk...

Or I may get a PS5 first depending on what I find when I walk into the store depending on how PSVR performs on it...

Last edited:
Reactions: scottcampbell

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Was a PS kid until the PS3, afterwards switched to Xbox (One) and will eventually to the Series X/S due to it being backwards compatible with my game library and past favourites + allowing certain games purchased also to be played on PC and having gamepass too should I want to try games out.
My preferred games are multi-platform anyway.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I'm going to get an XBox Series X instead of upgrading my PC GPU and put on my desk and hook it up the TV on my desk...
In the short term the new consoles will be amazing value. The upgrade your PC GPU in 2 years when mid range GPUs can comfortably output 4k/60 in today's flagship titles.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Eventually it may come down to who has the better streaming service 3-5 years from today.

The internet connectivity in the US is still generally poor. Even with my 500 Mbps connection from Spectrum, bring wired via Ethernet, one of the best modems around, I still cannot do this cloud gaming stuff. My inputs have such a noticeably large delay.

Internet infrastructure will need to be drastically changed to get inputs registered, sent to server, processed, and response back every 0.0166 seconds for proper 60fps gaming. Every 0.0069 seconds for 144fps gaming.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
Zero interest in the new Xbox, last Xbox I had was the 360 which RROD'd 3x on me. Microsoft and their cluttered advertising filled UIs can die in an fire.

Meanwhile I've owned literally every iteration of the Playstation so far, including all subgenerations starting with the PS2. I buy physical media and have no interest in streaming.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Zero interest in the new Xbox, last Xbox I had was the 360 which RROD'd 3x on me. Microsoft and their cluttered advertising filled UIs can die in an fire.

Meanwhile I've owned literally every iteration of the Playstation so far, including all subgenerations starting with the PS2. I buy physical media and have no interest in streaming.
Only thing Xbox had for me was Halo and the first couple Gears. I got tired of Gears. Now that everything Xbox is doing is coming to PC, I don't need an Xbox. XBox One does have backwards compatibility with the Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 games, so that is the only thing I play on it. If the day comes where all Metal Gear Solid games come out on PC, I won't need Xbox.

Playstation on the other hand has Persona and Final Fantasy 7 Remake. If those come to PC, mostly Persona and since they just released 4 Golden on PC the chances might be high, I won't need a PS4/5 either.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Watchdog Legion will run at 4k, 30fps with ray tracing on Series X and PS5.

This highlights that neither console is the last word in performance for the next generation consoles.

There will inevitably be Pro versions in 2 years that will be capable of 4k at 120fps. Basically offering beer of both worlds rather than having to choose between 4k and 120fps performance modes.

Last month I was at Curry's and tried 120HZ gaming on a computer for the first time and it was incredible. Switching to gaming at 60fps on the computer next to it, felt like a noticeable step backwards.

Therefore I will find it hard adjusting from 120fps games to 30fps games unless it's flight simulator or a slow paced game.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Watchdog Legion will run at 4k, 30fps with ray tracing on Series X and PS5.

This highlights that neither console is the last word in performance for the next generation consoles.

There will inevitably be Pro versions in 2 years that will be capable of 4k at 120fps. Basically offering beer of both worlds rather than having to choose between 4k and 120fps performance modes.

Last month I was at Curry's and tried 120HZ gaming on a computer for the first time and it was incredible. Switching to gaming at 60fps on the computer next to it, felt like a noticeable step backwards.

Therefore I will find it hard adjusting from 120fps games to 30fps games unless it's flight simulator or a slow paced game.
You would probably need something like SLI 3090's to play Legion in 4K120 on PC.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
You would probably need something like SLI 3090's to play Legion in 4K120 on PC.
Yupp. Two would be needed. A singe 3090 can only is only capable of 4K120 in games with levels but not for open world games with long draw distances or crowds/pedestrians.

Given that triple A titles are becoming more resource intensive to develop and maintain. Therefore I think that their life cycles will become longer with scalable graphics and performance for current and future hardware.

However its worth mentioning that there are very few 4K@120 monitors or TVs on the market, as HDMI 2.1 has just about launched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.