Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you find the design ugly?

• Yes

• No

• Don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
The Notch

vdhnbCX.0.jpeg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How long has it been since the notch been discussed around these parts?

Reactions: chabig

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Voted yes, Finally checked out an X in person today and the notch is bad. really dislike it. Doubt I'd ever get used to it always being there, really stands out. My eye is drawn to it. Don't care tho as the bigger problem is the price with all the gesturing required running close behind. That's 3 strikes, It's out and I'm out. My 7 is fine.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
Voted yes, Finally checked out an X in person today and the notch is bad. really dislike it. Doubt I'd ever get used to it always being there, really stands out. My eye is drawn to it. Don't care tho as the bigger problem is the price with all the gesturing required running close behind. That's 3 strikes, It's out and I'm out. My 7 is fine.

I had all the same doubts. Notch is no big deal after awhile, unless I want to watch an edge to edge video. Gestures... Well, they rock. Superior to the home button, IMO anyway. Only took 10 minutes to get used to it. Only thing I don't really like is control center. Hopefully a better solution can be found for that.

Price now, you gotta point there. But two outta three ain't bad!

Pnr2020

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2015
Uk
I had the X but sent it back because I missed the home button. But it is not an ugly phone it’s a stunning looking just look at it. It’s got the WOW factor

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I had the X but sent it back because I missed the home button. But it is not an ugly phone it’s a stunning looking just look at it. It’s got the WOW factor

Personally speaking (and I am fully aware that it's a subjective thing) the only wow factor is "Wow, what were they thinking?".

I have a lot of apple gear, but the iPhone X won't be joining them

Pnr2020

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2015
Uk
Personally speaking (and I am fully aware that it's a subjective thing) the only wow factor is "Wow, what were they thinking?".

I have a lot of apple gear, but the iPhone X won't be joining them
Ha I suppose apple cant please everyone.

Reactions: Phil A.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am surprised to see how many people are actually okay with the notch. What a terrible choice of design!

But is it really about the design or the technology behind the design? For reference, On a tech forum, the notch is claimed to be one of the worst features , but for those who I know own the iPhone X, have not even commented on the notch. Things sometimes are more exacerbated on a tech forum then they are in the real world.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
at the end of the day (so, after a few weeks using it), the iPhone X is ''just another iPhone''.

it's got a wow-factor......for about 3 or 4 weeks
I have got the iPhone X now for just over a month.

if you have a iPhone 7 (Plus) or 8 (Plus) to trade in / to sell, in order to lower the cost for an iPhone X, go ahead!

I would never, ever pay the full price of an X for what the X really has to offer.
[doublepost=1513594899][/doublepost]
But is it really about the design or the technology behind the design? For reference, On a tech forum, the notch is claimed to be one of the worst features , but for those who I know own the iPhone X, have not even commented on the notch. Things sometimes are more exacerbated on a tech forum then they are in the real world.

for those I know, will never ever pay over a €1000/$1000 for this iPhone X (let alone, a smartphone)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
for those I know, will never ever pay over a €1000/$1000 for this iPhone X (let alone, a smartphone)

Yes, there will be a select amount of consumers that will not pay for smart phone as much as the iPhone X is, which they should evaluate based on their income and what they can afford for smart phone as it is. And for those who can afford it, maybe this phone just is not for them, which is why Apple has other iPhones in their lineup.

However, my point was not about the price of the iPhone, it was about the notch being some large issue that it is on a tech forum versus in the real world, where I have not had anyone comment on it whatsoever.

2ndtry

Suspended
Dec 15, 2017
Yes, because of the notch and because of the camera bulge. The notch does not have to be there. Apple could have lengthen it just a tad bit to eliminate it, but they didn’t because they wanted it there. Same with the camera bulge. You can see some manufactures without the camera bulge. Shame on Apple for not doing a better job.

Why do some people use the word stunning or WOW to describe a phone ? Some people have got to get a grip on what it really looks like and use the correct words to describe it. Stunning or beautiful would not be my choice.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
what happens when they have no more home button iPhones? You will eventually have to use one so what does postponing the inevitable accomplish?

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Let me clarify by saying that I am not criticising anyone's opinion here. It's subjective.

I am just surprised how so many people got used to the notch so quickly. I honestly hoped that more people would be angry at the notch. I was wrong.

As for the 'wasted space'. I don't understand why people keep saying that was wasted. It's not. Sure apple could put a better display on a 6s. But since they didn't, that doesn't mean there was nothing underneath (Circuit components and PCB modules are there). And as for the 'purpose' of the giant empty spaces... well it looked good. I'm a UI designer by profession and in no way I'm an expert on industrial design. Personally I just hate the notch. It's ugly to me. Again this is subjective.

And as for the camera bump, it rocks on the table if I put if flat. With a case that's not much of an issue but without, it bugs me. :)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Its not ideal, but at this point I'm ok with it. I've not seen it really interfere with my usage

The other option would be to extend the notch... er, forehead bezel... all the way across the top of the phone.

But that would leave some dead area similar to what I illustrated above in my previous post.

Apple could have gone either way... and they decided to go this way.

The components in the notch are exactly the width they need to be. Since it's narrower than the width of the phone itself... Apple extended parts of the screen up on either side of the notch for two bonus areas for status icons.

Their thinking was the have the components of the notch and the icons in the same height as a normal forehead bezel alone.

though I really do miss the battery percentage.

Since I don't own an iPhone X... how frustrating is not seeing the battery percentage at an immediate glance? Do you have anxiety not knowing if your battery is a 49% or 44% ? :)

You still get a rough idea by the icon (and you can do a momentary swipe to see the actual number if you so desire)

3ohs7N9nzIrMgsgZyg.gif

And it really only gets worrisome if you reach 20%... (I'm guessing it still turns red at that point?)

Pnr2020

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2015
Uk
what happens when they have no more home button iPhones? You will eventually have to use one so what does postponing the inevitable accomplish?
That maybe true. But I’ll hang on to the home button for as long as I can. I’m still using the 7 plus at the moment so next year I’ll get the 8 plus. I’m not one of these people who has to have the latest phone. I tried the x but really missed the home button and the width of the plus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.