Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What brand(s) does everybody here shoot in addition to their iPhone?

• Canon

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Sony

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Fujifilm

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Nikon

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Olympus

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Film

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Other (please comment the specific brand/model)

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • iPhone only

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters

phill85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Wondering what brands/models everyone here shoots!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
yes you should change your thread title, and also some here use only their phone.

phill85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Edited and changed it as much as I can.. seems you can’t edit the question!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Other: Rolleiflex and the l-word
Doesn't the Rollei belong in film, or is there a digital one I don't know about?

Started with Canon, well really in like 1995 with a film SLR, and then stayed with it through 2011, ending with a 5Dii and then abruptly transitioned to Nikon. Have happily shot Nikon since then, but added in Fuji GFX and X100V in the last couple of months and shoot both brands in tandem (no desire to switch to full Fuji). I also shoot film, unsurprisingly Nikon and Fuji bodies there, as well as a Yashica.

Reactions: phill85

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Doesn't the Rollei belong in film, or is there a digital one I don't know about?

Started with Canon, well really in like 1995 with a film SLR, and then stayed with it through 2011, ending with a 5Dii and then abruptly transitioned to Nikon. Have happily shot Nikon since then, but added in Fuji GFX and X100V in the last couple of months and shoot both brands in tandem (no desire to switch to full Fuji). I also shoot film, unsurprisingly Nikon and Fuji bodies there, as well as a Yashica.
Good point, well made. Was thinking of the brand rather than the medium.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Started out lo these many, many many moons ago with a Brownie Hawkeye Camera (Yeah, a really long time ago, back when I was a little girl), then had a Kodak Instamatic in college, and after that briefly flirted with a Polaroid SX-70..... Eventually it was time to get serious and I found my way to Minolta film SLRs and then as time went on and I felt I was "ready," eventually moved to Nikon -- at first of course, again, still using film. I had fun and frustration in the darkroom but I still loved photography anyway.

Eventually we all moved into digital photography and in my case, when that was happening, not sure I trusted this new approach, I started out with the first Coolpix and then of course eventually found myself getting my first DSLR, the Nikon D70.....and moved through a succession of Nikon bodies and lenses. Then along came mirrorless technology......

Since late 2019 I have been shooting Sony exclusively: the Sony A7C (stepping into her new role in the household as one of the two travel cameras), the amazing A1, and the surprising A7R V (all three full-frame) and in addition, the RX10 IV (being gently set aside and eased into retirement as time goes on but so much loved during her prime) and the RX100 VII (a fantastic little compact fixed-lens camera ready for action around home or away from home). Sony gear lives at home with me, does all that I ask of it around home and away from home, and I more than appreciate the wonderful gear that Sony has produced over the past several years. When I was ready to make the shift from DSLR photography to mirrorless photography, Sony met my needs and requirements back in 2019 in terms of bodies and lenses and it definitely still is doing so.....

It's kind of interesting, though, how I came full-circle, from starting out way back when with Minolta for my first "serious" cameras to now using Sony, since as time passed, a while back Sony purchased Minolta and began moving forward with what they had and applying new technology to it.

Last edited:

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
In "ancient times" (read: the era of film), I primarily shot Nikon SLRs, though I usually had several "specialty" cameras for certain use (small light for carrying, quiet w/ a very fast lens for low light, ...). These later cameras include Nikon, Canon, & Leica RF models. In the more "modern era" (read: digital) I've had a variety, but primarily a Panasonic micro 4/3s.

After some 60+ years of shooting, I've tired a bit and now only shoot "family snaps" and utilitarian images using my phone, currently a Moto Edge (2022) but never any of the iStuff. I still have the Panny, a couple old Nikon Fs, and a Leica M3, but I've not shot film in 25 years and haven't even shot the Panny in ~5 yrs.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I have a Canon 5D Mark IV and a Canon R5. I also have an old Nikon P900 that I use occasionally to take pictures of the moon. It can also zoom in on the individual trees on the mountains from Denver. That camera has a 2000mm lens.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
From your list, I shoot Nikon but I also shoot rangefinder and medium format gear too. None of my images are better because of that gear and I'm not interested in convincing anyone that "my way and my choices are right, not just for me, but you too". That tends to be a tedious discussion, as I think we've all seen over the years. Most camera gear released in the last 5-10 years is stellar. My gear is only relevant to me, and we should all have our own value equation. I do thoroughly enjoy shooting with the gear I have, and that counts for somethings, for sure. We should enjoy using our tools. It's true in my day job of software development, for example, or my cooking tools at home.

Almost no one is going to be able to look at any image that any of us shoots and go "That's a Nikon d850 with a 20mm f1.8 lens" (or whatever) without looking at EXIF. Only we know what we shoot with :).

Jerry_

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2021
In the 80’s&90’s, with film, I used Minolta SLRs

With digital I first started started to switch to Sony DSLRs for a couple of years.

Since about 20 years I am now using Nikon f-mount DSLRs (DX & FX). With the collection of f-mount lenses that I have I am unlikely to change anytime soon.
Additionally I use an Olympus (P&S) setup that I am using for underwater photography.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
These days, I shoot (when I shoot) with the a camera that comes under what @kenoh referred to as the "l-word", a rangefinder that uses film. For what it is worth, I also have a SLR version of a camera that comes under the heading of the "l-word", (the "R" series) which also uses film.

My first serious camera was a Minolta rangefinder, and my first SLR was a Pentax, as was my second. All film. Then, there were a few Nikon cameras - still using film.

I do not use an iPhone for photography purposes, and try not to use it at all, if possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenoh

phill85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
One thing that doesn’t surprise me is that there’s very few who shoot Olympus. Seems to me to not be a big enough sensor size difference from an iPhone.. but I could be wrong

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
One thing that doesn’t surprise me is that there’s very few who shoot Olympus. Seems to me to not be a big enough sensor size difference from an iPhone.. but I could be wrong
I maybe missed it but you haven't really said what you shoot with. Guessing Fuji of some sort, but here you are asking us, how about you? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.