Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What brand(s) does everybody here shoot in addition to their iPhone?

• Canon

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Sony

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Fujifilm

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Nikon

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Olympus

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Film

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Other (please comment the specific brand/model)

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • iPhone only

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters

phill85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I maybe missed it but you haven't really said what you shoot with. Guessing Fuji of some sort, but here you are asking us, how about you? :)
Haha, true. Absolutely Fuji for about 6 years now. Currently an X-pro 2 & X70… looking to snag an X-Pro 4 in Dura-Silver the very moment it comes out… I love cameras that are very capable but that don’t look like boring DSLR’s.. Also I don’t really use them for video, I save that for my iPhone. I love that classic look Fuji has.

If it wasn’t Fuji I guess I’d try Sony for the tech? Nikon for the retro styling there? My dad and uncle are huge Canon guys, always have been. Not really sure exactly what I’d shoot if Fuji didn’t exist.

Reactions: r.harris1

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Haha, true. Absolutely Fuji for about 6 years now. Currently an X-pro 2 & X70… looking to snag an X-Pro 4 in Dura-Silver the very moment it comes out… I love cameras that are very capable but that don’t look like boring DSLR’s.. Also I don’t really use them for video, I save that for my iPhone. I love that classic look Fuji has.

If it wasn’t Fuji I guess I’d try Sony for the tech? Nikon for the retro styling there? My dad and uncle are huge Canon guys, always have been. Not really sure exactly what I’d shoot if Fuji didn’t exist.
Awesome and thank you! I think image quality and really, at the end of the day, most whiz-bang tech (by which people often mean the many variations on autofocus) are more or less matched, give or take, across the manufacturers. Maybe not specific number-by-number, but certainly outcome-to-outcome. Hard to go wrong with any of them. Luckily though, Fuji exists for you so no choices necessary :D.

Reactions: phill85

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
In the past I used a Minolta FM, then Nikon F3 HP with motor drive, then Canon moved to digital cameras and I started with this brand through the years. In reality camera brands make no difference to me once I become proficient with the buttons or controls layouts. I look at the photos I took long ago with the supposedly lesser older cameras, and now wish that I could be at the same place and time, taking the same photos of the same subjects. But guess what? Every photo one takes, regardless of the camera used at the time, is unique and can't be duplicated. Just look at the photos taken by some of the advocates of, "the best camera is the one at hand at the moment." I was watching a professional photographer using a Lego camera taking amazing action and other shots :)

Last edited:
Reactions: phill85

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
I initially got into photography several years ago with a Canon Rebel T5 and Canon 18-135mm IS USM lens however I found I wasn’t taking it out with me as much as I would have liked to due to the combined weight of the camera and lens.

I traded that in for a Canon EOS M3 mirrorless model which I do use much more when out and about, especially with the 22mm pancake lens. Over the last year or so I have purchased a couple more EF-M lenses and now am looking at purchasing the M50 or M6 Mark II.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Miami wrote:
"Over the last year or so I have purchased a couple more EF-M lenses and now am looking at purchasing the M50 or M6 Mark II."

You realize that as far as Canon is concerned, the M series is now a "dead item" and will get no more development?

If you like "small and compact", in the APS-c format, you ought to be taking a good look at the R50, or perhaps the R10 ...

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
Miami wrote:
"Over the last year or so I have purchased a couple more EF-M lenses and now am looking at purchasing the M50 or M6 Mark II."

You realize that as far as Canon is concerned, the M series is now a "dead item" and will get no more development?

If you like "small and compact", in the APS-c format, you ought to be taking a good look at the R50, or perhaps the R10 ...

I was indeed aware of that even before I got into the M series, however I found a second-hand M3 body and 15-45mm lens for sale at a price I couldn’t say no to in excellent condition.

I also find that a lot of people are selling used M series lenses at a big discount from when new so I can get a lot more mileage for my $ by purchasing these.

Sure, I would love to get an R series camera however I am very happy with the quality of the M3 alongside the handful of lenses I have purchased so far. I don’t think I could justify the $1k+ cost of an R series plus a few lenses with the amount of use I give the camera.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I was indeed aware of that even before I got into the M series, however I found a second-hand M3 body and 15-45mm lens for sale at a price I couldn’t say no to in excellent condition.

I also find that a lot of people are selling used M series lenses at a big discount from when new so I can get a lot more mileage for my $ by purchasing these.

Sure, I would love to get an R series camera however I am very happy with the quality of the M3 alongside the handful of lenses I have purchased so far. I don’t think I could justify the $1k+ cost of an R series plus a few lenses with the amount of use I give the camera.
I am still using older canon cameras and EF lenses along the R6. Purchased only one RF lens, the 100-500MM because none of the EF L lenses surpass 400mm. However, I will probably buy a couple of EF L with IS lenses if the price comes down a little, because the R series makes good use of lens IS, plus in-body IS (IBIS). The RF lenses are lighter, but I like the high quality of the EF lenses when adapted to the R5 and R6. The fact is that the best EF lenses aren't dropping in price any time soon. For example, the EF 400mm f/2.8 still costs over $11,000.

Last edited:

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I started with Minolta in the late 70's. In 2000 on the advice of a well known professional Dutch photographer I bought a Canon Digital IXUS because it was small and you could take "that" photo any time without carrying around all your heavy stuff.
Up to this day the photos taken with that IXUS (that I of course still have and it works) are really REALLY of good quality... this made me switch to Canon to my Fathers dismay (and then he moved to Olympus the sellout). I've had multiple Canon camera's with a few other brand in there. Canon provides the base photo that I like...

I have many friends that are crazy photographers that have NIKON or something else and swear by it but I just love the base quality of Canon. Now I've "almost" bought a Leica a few times in my life but I find myself not willing to spend the money when I could spend less and more on lenses. It's a hard one because I have had the pleasure of playing with Leica and it is really special. But O well, I'm not a pro nor a millionaire so a long time ago I did go all out and got me a Canon 5D mark II and although I have thought about upgrading many times it is still my partner in externalizing moments.

I will probably get a different camera at one point but now as I remember how hard it was for my dad to move away from his faithful film camera I realize that getting older is not always about having a hard time with "new" things but more about having a hard time letting go of really good, reliable and faithful things.

The newest thing isn't always the best...

Reactions: AlaskaMoose
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.