Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Hi Guys,

I received my Apple Watch 42 SS milanese loop yesterday and notice an annoying little glitch.

Sometimes - maybe 1 in 10 - when the screen turns on - either manually or my moving my wrist - I hear a pop/clicking sound. It sounds like it's coming from the speaker.

Does anyone else hear this or do I have a defective unit?

Thanks!

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I can confirm this. It's somewhat very annoying (because my apple watch is set to mute 24/7.)

Medicman

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2015
same sounds, not every time...only sometimes,think its a bug or a problem mit 3rd party apps

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
so any updates anyone?
I'm currently calling Apple Store here in Japan right now (I have no idea how they will respond to it,) but I'm really hoping this isn't some hardware issue.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I know someone in another thread reported this yesterday and they contacted Apple support. The outcome was a replacement.

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2015
How loud are we talking about here? If I put the watch RIGHT UP TO MY EAR and flick my wrist to wake it, I hear the speaker activate with a tiny, tiny pop and then a white noise of sorts that I would expect from an active speaker. If it's at a normal distance, I don't notice anything. Are you hearing an audible click when it's at "arm's length"? A click like a notification level sound? I only ask because I know how anal retentive techies can be (I've been guilty of freaking out over little things myself).

Adapsys

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Mine does this too. Can't work out any pattern to it. Just seems random. I'm not using any 3rd party apps yet so doesn't seem linked to that.

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2015
Does "what" exactly, though? The only way to detect a "pop" is to shove the thing right up against your ear, at least with my model and that of a family member's. Is this a loud, audible, notification-style pop when looking at it from a normal operating distance? Or is it just people making mountains of out molehills and scrutinizing every little thing from 2 inches away from their ear canals? :p

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
How loud are we talking about here? If I put the watch RIGHT UP TO MY EAR and flick my wrist to wake it, I hear the speaker activate with a tiny, tiny pop and then a white noise of sorts that I would expect from an active speaker. If it's at a normal distance, I don't notice anything. Are you hearing an audible click when it's at "arm's length"? A click like a notification level sound? I only ask because I know how anal retentive techies can be (I've been guilty of freaking out over little things myself).

I'm currently a university student, so I've got a lot of time on my hands to develop some iOS/Apple watch apps, and yes, it's like a small speaker pop/white noise type sound I can hear from sitting at my desk.

----------

Mine does this too. Can't work out any pattern to it. Just seems random. I'm not using any 3rd party apps yet so doesn't seem linked to that.

Yes, this seems highly random at this point.
I've done every single simple scientific method approach to this (testing all possible circumstances) but couldn't find a definitive pattern to replicate the issue.

----------

Does "what" exactly, though? The only way to detect a "pop" is to shove the thing right up against your ear, at least with my model and that of a family member's. Is this a loud, audible, notification-style pop when looking at it from a normal operating distance? Or is it just people making mountains of out molehills and scrutinizing every little thing from 2 inches away from their ear canals? :p

Simply put, it's louder than what I can hear from the 'power button' of my apple watch rattling(?) when put RIGHT NEXT to my ear, but this audible pop is from sitting at a desk <-> to arms distance. I don't mind the former (I'm not that picky) but the latter worries me that this could be a defect on early models.

Last edited:

janeR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Hi Guys

Quick update.

Mine has continued to click/pop when the screen wakes, it's pretty audible, certainly not the kind of sound you hear when a speaker is kicking in.

I've spoken to Applecare and they are kindly replacing it.

Hope that helps!

bigjeep127

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Add me to the list, mine has done it since day one. Seems to be only after the screen has been idle for at least a few minutes.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
Random popping was a HUGE issue on 1st manufacturing batch of iPad Air 2. The engineers concluded that there was an intermittent arcing that occurred between poorly soldered electrical components that sound like pops.

I really hope this isn't the case with the Watch, or it'll get obnoxious fast (like it did on my launch day iPad Air 2).

bigjeep127

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I just talked to Apple, they're going to replace it. No amount of resetting or unpairing/reparing fixed it. FYI, it's quite noticeable, I'm not putting it near my ear, it's down on my wrist. Definitely a short of some kind. Seems like it's getting worse actually. I'm kinda bummed because Apple said I have to send it back first and wait for a replacement. I had a faulty iPad and they were able to send a replacement right away, said they can't do that with the Watch. I may just take it back.

macgeek01

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2013
I have this issue too but was hoping it was something a software update may be able to fix. Hate to part with my watch. How long do you guys have to wait after mailing it in? Perhaps an advance replacement is option with a credit card deposit? Thanks.

bigjeep127

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I have this issue too but was hoping it was something a software update may be able to fix. Hate to part with my watch. How long do you guys have to wait after mailing it in? Perhaps an advance replacement is option with a credit card deposit? Thanks.

It's not, I told them I would buy another one if they sent it first and just return this one when I got it. They wouldn't let me.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Random popping was a HUGE issue on 1st manufacturing batch of iPad Air 2. The engineers concluded that there was an intermittent arcing that occurred between poorly soldered electrical components that sound like pops.

I really hope this isn't the case with the Watch, or it'll get obnoxious fast (like it did on my launch day iPad Air 2).

What engineers concluded it was related to an iPad Air 2 hardware issue?

My iPad Air 2 had the popping issue and iOS 8.3 corrected it, as it has for many others: https://discussions.apple.com/message/28168992?tstart=0#28168992

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Quick update from Japan;
Talked with Apple Care Japan/Australia (due to the lack of English speaking technicians in Japan,) went through soft/hard reset, paired again, erased all contents and settings twice. Same speaker pop sound, called back again, and they said they will replace it.

Here is the catch for those who are told they have to wait for longer than weeks.
They told me I would have to wait for nearly two months maximum, and I said that's unacceptable, and at this point the sales rep told me it would be better to cancel and return the product with full replacement. I said, how about you guys call me when you guys have a stock ready for shipment, and then pickup my watch so that I don't have to wait for a long time. They kindly said yes, gave me a call the next day (surprising, I know,) and had my watch picked up today morning.

Hope all of your apple watches with speaker pop gets sorted out!

bigjeep127

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Quick update from Japan;
Talked with Apple Care Japan/Australia (due to the lack of English speaking technicians in Japan,) went through soft/hard reset, paired again, erased all contents and settings twice. Same speaker pop sound, called back again, and they said they will replace it.

Here is the catch for those who are told they have to wait for longer than weeks.
They told me I would have to wait for nearly two months maximum, and I said that's unacceptable, and at this point the sales rep told me it would be better to cancel and return the product with full replacement. I said, how about you guys call me when you guys have a stock ready for shipment, and then pickup my watch so that I don't have to wait for a long time. They kindly said yes, gave me a call the next day (surprising, I know,) and had my watch picked up today morning.

That's good to hear. I've personally decided to simply return mine. I don't want to wait months to exchange just to get a refurb and I don't want to sit around without one (and without my $400) while I wait for a new production unit. I like the watch but after a week with it (and given the defect mine has) I think my money is better off spent elsewhere. Just my opinion, I'll probably be back for gen 2 or 3.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Quick update from Japan;

Is the Japan model same as in Australia/ English speaking countries? Any issues?

It's about $100 cheaper in Japan vs AUS. Crazy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.