Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Is the Japan model same as in Australia/ English speaking countries? Any issues?

It's about $100 cheaper in Japan vs AUS. Crazy!

Yes they are 100% identical! My other friends do not have any problems with theirs :)

----------

Anyone else keeping theirs?

I have decided to just return it without receiving a replacement. It turns out I do not require apple watch (and its current capabilities) at this point in time. I'm just going to use the lab's for development.

janeR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Final update.

I received my replacement and have been using it since last week.

No popping.

I'm now happy with my Watch, I hope everyone else gets theirs sorted out.

sgw086

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2015
Anyone else continuing to have this issue? I am waiting a response from tech support who submitted a trouble ticket to engineers.

jltj

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Anyone else continuing to have this issue? I am waiting a response from tech support who submitted a trouble ticket to engineers.

I made a tech support call last week and they said they would pass the issue to their engineers and get back to me. Got a call today, said their engineers want me to take a video of the problem happening. I said I'd try, but honestly, since it's an intermittent problem, I'm not sure how I'm going to capture it on video, besides, I'm not sure the sound will be noticeable from a video.

Edit: Alright, managed to capture 4 instances of the pop on video with my iPhone. Will send to Apple and see what happens.

Last edited:

matthijst

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Got the same thing. Happens maybe 1 in 10 times or so.
Rather than just return it now and have to wait days/weeks for a replacement, can't you just go to an Apple Store once they have watches in stock and have it checked out and replaced on the spot?

jltj

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Got the same thing. Happens maybe 1 in 10 times or so.

Rather than just return it now and have to wait days/weeks for a replacement, can't you just go to an Apple Store once they have watches in stock and have it checked out and replaced on the spot?

I'm too far from an Apple Store and also, with the noise level in the store, I'm not sure the Genius will hear it. An even bigger concern is that, given the intermittent nature of the problem, I travel all the way to the store and it doesn't show itself!

sgw086

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2015
I had the same issue. I took my watch to the Genius Bar yesterday and they sent it off for repair at one of their repair depot's. They will determine if it can be fixed or if I need a brand-new replacement unit. Either way I will have my watch back in 3-5 days.

matthijst

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I made a tech support call last week and they said they would pass the issue to their engineers and get back to me. Got a call today, said their engineers want me to take a video of the problem happening. I said I'd try, but honestly, since it's an intermittent problem, I'm not sure how I'm going to capture it on video, besides, I'm not sure the sound will be noticeable from a video.

Edit: Alright, managed to capture 4 instances of the pop on video with my iPhone. Will send to Apple and see what happens.

Have you heard anything back from tech support?

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Hi Guys,

I received my Apple Watch 42 SS milanese loop yesterday and notice an annoying little glitch.

Sometimes - maybe 1 in 10 - when the screen turns on - either manually or my moving my wrist - I hear a pop/clicking sound. It sounds like it's coming from the speaker.

Does anyone else hear this or do I have a defective unit?

Thanks!

I have this problem, I think it's related to the ambient light sensor.

when the screen comes on there is no click, then a fraction of a second later the brightness increases then there is the click sound

It seems a lot more noticeable in the dark.

jltj

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Still no word from Apple?

The Senior Advisor (or something) that I'm liaising with for my case says Engineering hasn't got back to him yet, he has sent them an email to get an update. So basically....nothing so far...

jltj

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
I just got a call from Apple Support saying that they will replace my watch and send my current unit to Engineering to diagnose the problem. I'm currently waiting for a call back to arrange the delivery and pick up. I'll be without an Apple Watch for a few days, hopefully the replacement will be fine.

I would encourage everyone with this issue to contact Support so they know the extent of the problem.

demeetreee

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2015
I had the same issue. Everytime I'd put my wrist to my ear and rotate it, this clicking sound occured. Strangely, it does not happen if I activate the display with a button click or a tap. Weeks later I found out that that clicking noise came from my wrist when I rotated it.... =p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.