Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPioneer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I use my IPP almost exclusively in portrait mode - reading ebooks, reading FaceBook, reading news, reading mail, reading messages.

Is there anything I’m seriously missing by not using landscape mode more?

Reactions: motulist

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
My M1 12.9” lives on the Magic Keyboard, so I use it pretty much exclusively in Landscape mode. The only time it’s really an irritant, is if a specific app only works in Portrait (some iPad apps do that). Fortunately Stage Manager will let me see it even in landscape, letterboxed so that’s less of a concern now on iPadOS 16.2

With my mini 6, I tend to hold it in landscape too, probably just because I’m used to it from the Pro. But I will sometimes notice it and turn it to portrait. Either works fine. The few apps that are “iPhone” apps certainly work better in portrait on the mini - even if they would display in landscape like on the Pro, they’d be too tiny to see. It’s not a common issue though.

Reactions: SalisburySam

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My iPad Pro I use 99% of the time in landscape. My iPad mini I use in portrait mode for all activities apart from watching videos and playing Mario Kart Tour.

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Even 13‘ laptops should be portrait mode but the keyboard prevents it.

if I’m typing with external keyboard portrait. If I’m watching a video landscape.

Reactions: Isamilis

Jashue

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2014
Syracuse
In portrait you are missing out on Apple's BRILLIANT implementation of centerstage during video conferencing!

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I’m the exact opposite. I use my 11” iPad Pro almost exclusively in landscape mode. However, I also have an iPad mini that I tend to use more in portrait mode. Go figure.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I wish that we could force an app to run in a window. That is, there is one app which simply does not allow landscape. I have to physically rotate my iPad pro - which is silly with a keyboard attached.

If only I could tell iPadOS that this one app should run in some sort of fake portrait window. The app would not even need to know it was in a window. I don't care if it only uses half the screen. After all, it was designed as a phone app and at full screen it is scaled up more than I need or want.

Or am I missing that there is a way of doing this?

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I’ll admit that my 12.9” iPP spends almost all of its time on the keyboard case (thus landscape). This is so far the first iPad I’ve owned where that is the case. All 11” and smaller iPads have spent more time handheld in portrait orientation. Some sites and apps work best in landscape, some in portrait, and I’m beginning to think that I’ll return to a smaller size device to accommodate more flexible use. The only “desktop” use I put this device to, as now, is writing text and I doubt I’ll spend 8 hour days doing so on any iPad…

Reactions: polyphenol

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I wish that we could force an app to run in a window. That is, there is one app which simply does not allow landscape. I have to physically rotate my iPad pro - which is silly with a keyboard attached.

If only I could tell iPadOS that this one app should run in some sort of fake portrait window. The app would not even need to know it was in a window. I don't care if it only uses half the screen. After all, it was designed as a phone app and at full screen it is scaled up more than I need or want.

Or am I missing that there is a way of doing this?

Stage Manager has worked fine for me for apps that force portrait mode.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I used to always use mine exclusively landscape (11 inch). Recently, I don’t know why, I’ve started reading websites like this in portrait. I guess it feels more like an e-book that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.