Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
They are IMO and a stock app is not needed for any base OS. Is not just space, but the resources it can take running in the background refreshing info etc.

I feel pretty confident that the stock app doesn't run in the background unless you launch it, and it doesn't refresh any info when it is not running.
By all means, please let me know if you have evidence to the contrary.

Merry Christmas.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
I am surprised so many are defending something so personal. If somebody wants to delete a bunch of apps they don't use why not? Why defend the need for Chess or any other app that the other 10 people in the world use?

Now that I think about it, it would be great if I could shrink my application list to only those that I actually use. I wonder what the reason is they imbed these apps in the OS? I really don't think Chess is an integral part of anything.

Apps like Chess, Solitaire, Cards, ext. are outdated. For me those were the kind of apps you used to kill time. Now we browse the internet. Really doesn't matter if they are 1mb or a 100mb, times change.

Last edited:

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Apps like Chess, Solitaire, Cards, ext. are outdated. For me those were the kind of apps you used to kill time. Now we browse the internet. Really doesn't matter if they are 1mb or a 100mb, times change.
This is like worrying about global warming. The sum of what you do is totally irrelevant as there are things a billion times larger which are more of an issue so don't worry about it. The same with these apps taking a few MB. The OS is GBs in size so a few apps being MBs in size don't matter. Chill out and have a beer instead of worrying about it on here.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
This is like worrying about global warming. The sum of what you do is totally irrelevant as there are things a billion times larger which are more of an issue so don't worry about it. The same with these apps taking a few MB. The OS is GBs in size so a few apps being MBs in size don't matter. Chill out and have a beer instead of worrying about it on here.

Good idea. Cheers and happy holidays everybody.

pon60

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2018
The first thing I do with all my new installs is delete everything I will never use.
Chess.app
FaceTime.app
Messages.app
Notes.app
PhotoBooth.app
Photos.app
Siri.app
Stickies.app
iBooks
Stocks
Home
Game Center, and maybe others I can't remember

I use Terminal and the command "sudo rm -rf" followed by a space and then drag and drop the file from the Finder.
I do have Sip disabled, this allows me to run the newer Operating sysytems on my old Classic MacPro.
I have never experienced any issues after deleting these apps.
My reason for doing this is "because I can":D

sound easy! to my it shows
rm: illegal option -- /

usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...

unlink file

ChangeMachine

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
Why make Stocks a built in, undeletable app? Maybe APPL has some ulterior motive we don't know about!
[doublepost=1549305492][/doublepost]
These apps are not bloatware. They're small, lean, and very useful in the base OS so can't be classed as bloated. I doubt you'd notice the difference between the small disk footprint.

Oh, they're SMALL, well-formed code! Well in that case we SHOULDN'T be allowed to delete them even though we didn't ask for them and don't want them!</snark>

Seriously, though, that's totally your choice to like bloatware, but telling people that their opinions are wrong and they should stop having them... Is that how you like to be talked to when YOU have a concern?
[doublepost=1549305752][/doublepost]Disabled SIP and still can't RM this crapware. Welcome to Windows 11 Mojave. If I weren't reliant on Adobe I'd stick with Ubuntu. Any thoughts on getting rid of this blightware?
[doublepost=1549306154][/doublepost]I still can't delete this garbage, but Right-Click > Show Package Contents > cmd+delete the guts of it might make you feel better. Revel in your tiny kingdom of control!

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
They are IMO and a stock app is not needed for any base OS. Is not just space, but the resources it can take running in the background refreshing info etc.
The term 'bloatware' is subjective, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I consider both the News app and Stocks app to be bloatware and are apps that I would never use. Given that these apps are not important to the functionality of the operating system, they are not vital apps and, as such, should not be protected by SIP.

One of the main features of a good OS, in my opinion, is to make non-vital items optional. Some people will remove a non-vital item while others will consider non-vital items to be important. User friendliness includes being able to make the system 'our own personal space'. And, when non-vital items are made difficult to remove, it can be seen as the items being forced on the user and that detracts from the ability to 'make the system mine'.

Space is space, whether it be 1 megabyte or 1 gigabyte, and that space on my machines is, in my opinion, mine and I should be able to do with it as I please.

Just my $0.02.

Reactions: dirtyd33dz

ChangeMachine

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
...One of the main features of a good OS, in my opinion, is to make non-vital items optional...

Sadly, this isn't about creating a good OS for us to frolic in, it's about that little Stocks app. Why is it SO important to APPL that Stocks is on our computer? Because stocks is all they are now. It's about Wall Street. It's about providing us the least amount of freedom in order to gain the most economic return for their stakeholders. Running Linux in a dual-boot setup really wasn't all that difficult for me. I recommend trying it out. Not perfect, but actually quite good.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Why make Stocks a built in, undeletable app? Maybe APPL has some ulterior motive we don't know about!
[doublepost=1549305492][/doublepost]

Oh, they're SMALL, well-formed code! Well in that case we SHOULDN'T be allowed to delete them even though we didn't ask for them and don't want them!</snark>

Seriously, though, that's totally your choice to like bloatware, but telling people that their opinions are wrong and they should stop having them... Is that how you like to be talked to when YOU have a concern?
[doublepost=1549305752][/doublepost]Disabled SIP and still can't RM this crapware. Welcome to Windows 11 Mojave. If I weren't reliant on Adobe I'd stick with Ubuntu. Any thoughts on getting rid of this blightware?
[doublepost=1549306154][/doublepost]I still can't delete this garbage, but Right-Click > Show Package Contents > cmd+delete the guts of it might make you feel better. Revel in your tiny kingdom of control!
I delete all these unwanted apps first thing on a new installation, has never caused me any issues.
Check out my post #19 in this thread for the method I use.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
It's about providing us the least amount of freedom in order to gain the most economic return for their stakeholders.
I feel this is an unhealthy assumption. Apple could be doing a lot more to increase their return and remove our freedom but I just don't see Apple moving in that direction.

Running Linux in a dual-boot setup really wasn't all that difficult for me. I recommend trying it out. Not perfect, but actually quite good.
Yes, Linux is quite nice.. I've been using both Linux and BSD since 2001. One of the reasons I moved to OS X was because it is based on BSD (Darwin).

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yes, Linux is quite nice.. I've been using both Linux and BSD since 2001. One of the reasons I moved to OS X was because it is based on BSD (Darwin).
My case exactly, I disliked MS Windows immensely so I experimented with LInux. But I wasn't up to all the tweaking Linux needed to get things right, there always seemed to be something not quite right, so I tried Apple and have never looked back.

Reactions: revmacian

ChangeMachine

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
I feel this is an unhealthy assumption.... I just don't see Apple moving in that direction.

I hope I don't sound argumentative, but is it a healthy assumption that any corporation has one byte of interest in us having options that aren't them? I probably sound dramatic, but that's honestly just my matter-of-fact face. It's just not in their programming. As for whether Apple is moving in "that" direction or not, I refer you to... this thread. ;)

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Sadly, this isn't about creating a good OS for us to frolic in, it's about that little Stocks app. Why is it SO important to APPL that Stocks is on our computer?
Stocks app is a fundamental part of the OS which couldn’t work without it. The reason for that is highly technical so shouldn’t be discussed on MR. suffice it to say that without Stocks then macOS doesn’t exist. It’d be like car with three wheels. That’s the real reason stocks can’t be deleted. Anyway, time to move on folks as this thread is closed.

Reactions: chown33

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Stocks app is a fundamental part of the OS which couldn’t work without it. The reason for that is highly technical so shouldn’t be discussed on MR. suffice it to say that without Stocks then macOS doesn’t exist. It’d be like car with three wheels. That’s the real reason stocks can’t be deleted. Anyway, time to move on folks as this thread is closed.

what? just typing something on a forum doesn't make it true. the OS will most-certainly function without chess, or stocks, for example. and one of the great things about this forum is that it can get 'highly technical'. also, a thread isn't closed until moderators close it (perhaps we're headed there soon :D )

Reactions: jbarley

KCmacusr

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2019
Stocks app is a fundamental part of the OS which couldn’t work without it. The reason for that is highly technical so shouldn’t be discussed on MR. suffice it to say that without Stocks then macOS doesn’t exist.

Wait, what? Are you kidding me right now? The kernel, the GUI, the networking service - those are fundamental for the OS to work. Bring the "highly technical" reason you're referencing in your post...

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Against my preference, I had to install Mojave on one of my Macs.

And apparently to punish me for having avoided this OS until now, I'm being annoyed to a slow insanity with the Home and News app windows popping up from time to time... I've never opened thee useless apps, and I've disabled these apps in System Preferences/Notification by unchecking all the options and selecting "None" for the news alerts style. And yet they persist on popping up to reaffirm why I avoided Mojave.

Please please please let me know how to stop this insanity.

TIA

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
^^^ Thanks. Already tried this. Apparently, these two useless apps are considered... essential to the OS... LOL

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
...and I've deleted those apps before. Then I started looking around in the filesystem. In /System, there is an IOSSupport folder. In this folder are all the support files for these new style of apps. I wouldn't care to know what would happen if I deleted this folder, because it would probably cause me to have to do a clean install of Mojave. So, I update-installed Mojave to 10.14.2 and updated to 10.14.5 and I'm just going to ignore those apps.

apple_keeyboarrd

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
i know this is kind of a old thread, but there is a very legitimate reason for me to remove the Stocks app.
i run the german version of macOS and if i want to bring up the "Activity Monitor" on german called "Aktivitätsanzeige" and i type "akt" in spotlight the first result will always be "Aktien" - which is the Stock app.
"thanks apple, i hate it"
so while writing this, i just realized i can exclude stuff from spotlight, but at the first look it seems you can only choose folders and not applications. but i managed to drag the stocks app into the spotlight privacy section and now its ignored by spotlight and i have my peace again :)

edit:
this led to some weird behavior in spotlight, if i type "ak" it shows the "Aktivitätsanzeige" (Activity Monitor) but if i type "akti" it finds the Stocks app again and puts it on top of the search results, interesting, because the app is now named "Stocks" and not "Aktien" like its named in the german version! but if i search for "Stocks" i dont get any search results o_O

Last edited:

sashavegas

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2018
#!/bin/bash

# IMPORTANT: You will need to disable SIP aka Rootless in order to fully execute this script, you can reenable it after.

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Home.app
echo "[OK] Home"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Dashboard.app
echo "[OK] Dashboard.app"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/FaceTime.app
echo "[OK] FaceTime.app"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/News.app
echo "[OK] News.app"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Messages.app
echo "[OK] Messages.app"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Siri.app
echo "[OK] Siri.app"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Photos.app
echo "[OK] Photos.app"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Stocks.app
echo "[OK] Stocks.app"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/VoiceMemos.app
echo "[OK] VoiceMemos.app"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Stickies.app
echo "[OK] Stickies.app"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Maps.app
echo "[OK] Maps.app"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Photo\ Booth.app
echo "[OK] Photos.app"

sudo rm -rf /Applications/QuickTime\ Player.app
echo "[OK] QuickTime"

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Because its blotware, takes space and something like stocks app will never get used by me. Why defend something like this? It was a big issue on iOS and they have gone back to the dark ages w this after moving fwd w removal of apps on iOS
[doublepost=1537988611][/doublepost]
ridiculous excuse since you can delete pages/keynote/etc, stock app doesn't need to be protected by SIP for example... back to the dark ages of forced bloatware

Ya, expect Apple doesn't do things for the user, it does things it thinks is right by them. Mac's may catch up, but if it happens for one device, then that will always be a claim you can do it on others.. Will they ? maybe, maybe not.

Half of the time i dunno why Apple does things which doesn't make logical sense, except the only reason could be its tightly ingratiated into the OS which could break other things, if removed.. That's probably why its protected by SIP, but the real bummer if you couldn't remove it "at all" even if SIP was disabled...

They haven't gone that far yet luckily. and hopefully they never will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.