Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i forgot those programs were in Mojave,
i would be happy if Stocks should be changer from money to chicken

BaDboD

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022
Yes, while it is possible, it is a bit of a song and dance. These apps consume large amounts of resources I feel they are not worthy of. One of the several, really good, reasons I would never buy Apple is this kind of bad behaviour.

This Air thing was given to me as it was unwanted. No need to wonder why.

If your happy to rip it apart streamline it and maybe re-install a few times doing it if something does mess up, then go for it. It is only worth the effort if you really really really want to use MAC OS, especially if your wanting to let the kids use it, don't want them exposed to this kind of tat.

The box it came in looks nice though.

Tis x86_64, would be better off with a proper OS really. Theres nothing proprietry I can see here so I think Ill install Manjaro on it. Might recoomend that to you, put a linux on it, Ubuntu might be good if your new to these things. Just about any will work fine and improve usability no end.

thecodercody

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2022
I feel this is an unhealthy assumption. Apple could be doing a lot more to increase their return and remove our freedom but I just don't see Apple moving in that direction.

Yes, Linux is quite nice.. I've been using both Linux and BSD since 2001. One of the reasons I moved to OS X was because it is based on BSD (Darwin).
sir, I wholeheartedly agree with almost all of your sentiments. However, I'd like to point out that there is indeed a lot of two-facedness with the company; the reason I am pointing this out is that the standard media and social media in this country/worldwide have completely failed to cover it:

About one year before you posted this (Feb 28, 2018), Apple gave the encryption keys to all Chinese language iCloud accounts to the Chinese Communist Party in exchange for getting to do business in China. Yet they still put up billboards in the USA that say "Privacy. That's iPhone." It's unfortunate that there aren't any big tech companies that have moral spines, so there aren't alternatives to use really. I do think Apple is better than, say, Google, or Facebook, or Microsoft, as far as these things go, and I do think they'll respect users' rights normally. But, as we can see from this example, when push comes to shove, they will always choose money over the sanctity of individual rights or what is moral and ethical. They aren't doing that here in the free world right now, but then again, push hasn't come to shove here, either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.