Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeancoleman

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015
Behind The Music
This needs to happen!

we3aamz.jpg
thats nasty ! yes it does !!

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
It must be about processing power and battery life. Hands are moving graphic elements, which would require an alpha mask over a photo. The digital face is just text. There's also a legibility concern. A complex photo with light and dark areas would be tricky to read with all white or all black hands moving around it, which would mean the hands need a drop shadow, and more processing power to render it.

I appreciate your elaborating on the technical issues. However, even with the current implementation of custom photos, the user has to be careful with creating a photo that doesn't obscure the text and numbers, and at least in my own efforts has required some trial an error to get a visually appealing wallpaper photo. So Apple hasn't really gone out of their way to make this foolproof for the consumer, and such would apply to the clock face as well. Regardless, I simply don't believe that this wasn't one of the first things Apple did when they started encoding watch faces over 4 years ago now. Are they withholding it merely for processing power and battery life? I can certainly accept that for the initial release as they gauged how customers were actually going to be using it. But I don't get it now. And Tapping Mickey has essentially already been doing this since the beginning. Plus, they are turning on options like 70 second backlight, and giving users time lapse and random photos -- how much more processor intensive is that going to be loading a new photo every time? Again, it's clear Apple has not released a perfect, fool-proof, custom photo watch face. Users can upload a photo that doesn't look good with the text overlay. But how many customers are going to complain that their photos don't look good this way, if they can make a few adjustments and get something that does, versus not having the ability at all? In the end it has to be more than just technical limitations.

Reactions: ActionableMango

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
I have to agree with this and I don't understand why Apple hasn't released watch faces through the store. Do they realize how much money they could make if they hold the monopoly on watch faces charging 99 cents for each?

Also, if you can move apps around in the Apple Watch app, they could let us move things around with a custom watch face design. Saves all lawsuits since we design it. Must be a limitation?

I do believe this is coming.
Apple don't need to make a watch face app store, just let us put a background image underneath the "simple" watchface. A complication for each of the corners and sorted. This avoids any copyright and trademark problems.

shayneox

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
Songtan South Korea
Shouldnt we be post these not as screen shots , but just the pics so we can use them....most ive seen have the time on them making them unusable......did I miss this somewhere?

Reactions: RBDan

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
I appreciate your elaborating on the technical issues. However, even with the current implementation of custom photos, the user has to be careful with creating a photo that doesn't obscure the text and numbers, and at least in my own efforts has required some trial an error to get a visually appealing wallpaper photo. So Apple hasn't really gone out of their way to make this foolproof for the consumer, and such would apply to the clock face as well. Regardless, I simply don't believe that this wasn't one of the first things Apple did when they started encoding watch faces over 4 years ago now. Are they withholding it merely for processing power and battery life? I can certainly accept that for the initial release as they gauged how customers were actually going to be using it. But I don't get it now. And Tapping Mickey has essentially already been doing this since the beginning. Plus, they are turning on options like 70 second backlight, and giving users time lapse and random photos -- how much more processor intensive is that going to be loading a new photo every time? Again, it's clear Apple has not released a perfect, fool-proof, custom photo watch face. Users can upload a photo that doesn't look good with the text overlay. But how many customers are going to complain that their photos don't look good this way, if they can make a few adjustments and get something that does, versus not having the ability at all? In the end it has to be more than just technical limitations.
The only reason I can think of is that Apple don't want people loading photos of existing watch faces, sans hands, on their Apple Watch.
I bet if Apple ever do let you use a photo background with an analog watch face, people will be editing Rolex watch face pictures onto their AW immediately.
And I think Apple don't want that. They want to keep their brand to themselves and any collaborations like the Hermes AW.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
The only reason I can think of is that Apple don't want people loading photos of existing watch faces, sans hands, on their Apple Watch.
I bet if Apple ever do let you use a photo background with an analog watch face, people will be editing Rolex watch face pictures onto their AW immediately.
And I think Apple don't want that. They want to keep their brand to themselves and any collaborations like the Hermes AW.
I think Apple will open up an App Store category for watch faces eventually and not approve any high end imitation faces as well as remove any others thats vendors identify. I also think that Rolex, Tag, Pulsar, Seiko etc will submit their own faces soon after as they'll want that ad space.

Reactions: Recognition

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
My Husker themed ones. I'm surprised how well old photos look on the watch compared to new photos.

Attachments

• IMG_4876.jpg
    IMG_4876.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_4877.jpg
    IMG_4877.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_4878.jpg
    IMG_4878.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_4879.jpg
    IMG_4879.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_4880.jpg
    IMG_4880.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_4881.jpg
    IMG_4881.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_4882.jpg
    IMG_4882.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 348
Reactions: BarracksSi

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
Welsh-Flag2.jpg
IMG_0087.PNG

@BarracksSi finally got mine to work. I created a new image with the a white background in the 312x390 size. Cropped my Welsh flag image so that it didn't have too much white space around it and copied and pasted it onto the blank image as a new layer. I then moved the flag layer into the bottom left-hand corner of the blank one and merged the layers. This created excess white space on the right-hand side, so I cropped the image so that it was still 390 high, but had slightly less width. More luck than judgement, but it worked!

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
My Husker themed ones. I'm surprised how well old photos look on the watch compared to new photos.
Like the shirt says, "Real Men Go For Two." I've got to build up a stash of Husker backgrounds again.

GBR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.