Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
So now that the recall us real, who's sticking around to get a replacement and who's saying screw it and heading back to the land of stability aka Apple? I'm on the fence personally. IPhone 7 I'm sure is not going to blow my mind and I do enjoy my Note 7, but there are definitely instances where an all-Apple setup in my house works much more smoothly.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Wouldn't go back to Apple unless next year's iPhone "10" is absolutely amazing.

I'm just glad I didn't get a Note 7, as I was extremely tempted.

But I'm sure the fire will die down in a few months for Samsung (pun intended). Apple will have a FIELD DAY with this next week, though!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Was already planning on with the 6s plus and get the 7 plus anyway but with this issue think it's best to stay away as good as the phone really is but stuff like this will put others off.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Wouldn't go back to Apple unless next year's iPhone "10" is absolutely amazing.

I'm just glad I didn't get a Note 7, as I was extremely tempted.

But I'm sure the fire will die down in a few months for Samsung (pun intended). Apple will have a FIELD DAY with this next week, though!

Apple should capitalize on the situation. This is unprecedented. Samsung would do the same (like when they did their own video in repose to bend gate). If Samsung can't take it, they shouldn't have dished it out themselves in ads and other statements for years.

Best for the consumer actually. Puts pressure on the manufacturering teams to make the best quality.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Apple should capitalize on the situation. This is unprecedented. Samsung would do the same (like when they did their own video in repose to bend gate). If Samsung can't take it, they shouldn't have dished it out themselves in ads and other statements for years.

Best for the consumer actually. Puts pressure on the manufacturering teams to make the best quality.

I completely agree in all respects.

The game is the game. Samsung have gone at Apple, Apple have gone at Samsung.

Damn, if Apple just wanted the whole Keynote to be a comedy routine at Samsung's expense, it would be well within their rights!

I do agree with someone else on this forum who says it's a bit of a shame as it's a lose/lose for consumers, though. Some people being left without phones for weeks, the sense of competition being skewed... I dunno, it's a shame.

Reactions: JaJaWa

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Damn, if Apple just wanted the whole Keynote to be a comedy routine at Samsung's expense, it would be well within their rights!

I do agree with someone else on this forum who says it's a bit of a shame as it's a lose/lose for consumers, though. Some people being left without phones for weeks, the sense of competition being skewed... I dunno, it's a shame.

Completely disagree with both of you.

I don't think Apple is going to say a word about this. This isn't some design difference or OS shortfall, this was a real manufacturing error that could have been dangerous to consumers. That's not something you "poke" at or joke about. It would make Apple look crappy, they'd gain nothing out of it. I personally would lose a great deal of respect for them as a corporate citizen if they did make fun of this. Again: people could have been hurt. This isn't about lag or styluses, this was a problem that could affect any OEM. I'd bet money Apple says not a peep.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

I don't think Apple is going to say a word about this. This isn't some design difference or OS shortfall, this was a real manufacturing error that could have been dangerous to consumers. That's not something you "poke" at or joke about. It would make Apple look crappy, they'd gain nothing out of it. I personally would lose a great deal of respect for them as a corporate citizen if they did make fun of this. Again: people could have been hurt. This isn't about lag or styluses, this was a problem that could affect any OEM. I'd bet money Apple says not a peep.

Yeah maybe you're right. Let's see.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

No one is being left without phones. Samsung has already said they are working with all partner carriers to do a 1 for 1 swap.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

I agree. Ripping on a stylus is something wholly different. And besides there are batteries in iPhones too, with the same potential to do harm, something I'm sure Apple wouldn't want to emphasise regardless of there having been no serious episodes with iPhone batteries on this scale.

In any case they don't have to do a thing to gain from this, just shut up and go about their business as usual, Samsung already did all the dirty work to make the iPhone look like a more reliable alternative... And just in time for the iP7 release too...man I do feel a bit sorry for them :(

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I agree. Ripping on a stylus is something wholly different. And besides there are batteries in iPhones too, with the same potential to do harm, something I'm sure Apple wouldn't want to emphasise regardless of there having been no serious episodes with iPhone batteries on this scale.

In any case they don't have to do a thing to gain from this, just shut up and go about their business as usual, Samsung already did all the dirty work to make the iPhone look like a more reliable alternative... And just in time for the iP7 release too...man I do feel a bit sorry for them :(

My sentiments as well. Apple doesn't need to say a thing...they already attract a skewed level of attention and this issue will push some customers to Apple all by itself.

And it's really a shame. I'm a longtime Apple fan but see them resting on their laurels the past few years and liked that Samsung seemed to be putting some genuine pressure on them. This recall is just going to reverse the trends right back in Apple's direction. :(

Regardless, I hope Apple takes the high road and doesn't even hint about it.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Not everyone bought from a carrier, though! People on this very forum have said this.
So.....they will do swap non-the-less. It will probably be less problematic. I am more worried T-Mobile will mess up the process than Samsung. If you bought from somewhere other than a carrier, your probably going to have the smoothest road.

This sucks for Samsung, but it's the fault of the company that made the batteries. Unless your phone blows up, I'm not sure why we are making a deal out of this (I know why, it's the internet, and an apple centric forum).

You'll get a new, in box phone in the next few weeks or so. Done, problem solved....hell it might be advantageous for someone who accidentally scratched the display, etc.

If apple did this, people would swap it and move on. Auto companies have recalls, after people have actually died....so not a big deal in the scheme of things.

The only people who should really be complain are those who want a phone, and now have to wait a while longer.

Hey....if you your phone blows up, go play the lottery. You are one one of the roughly .0035%.

Is apple willingly replacing the iPhone 6 models with the touch screen "disease"? I'm impressed Samsung stepped up so quickly and is taking care of the problem swiftly.

Reactions: Demo Kit

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Lol.

Seems like the biggest noise about this note 7 battery problem are from non note 7 owners.
I've posted a lot about it and I don't own a Note 7. I do own a Note Edge, Note 4, Note 5, Two S7 Edge phones, 5S, 6S, 6S+ and a 6+, all currently in my possession and being used today.

I thought about buying a Note 7 but to be honest, I bought the Note 5, 6S 6S+ and the two S7 Edge phones all since December so I put a curb on my spending till next year.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So.....they will do swap non-the-less. It will probably be less problematic. I am more worried T-Mobile will mess up the process than Samsung. If you bought from somewhere other than a carrier, your probably going to have the smoothest road.

This sucks for Samsung, but it's the fault of the company that made the batteries. Unless your phone blows up, I'm not sure why we are making a deal out of this (I know why, it's the internet, and an apple centric forum).

You'll get a new, in box phone in the next few weeks or so. Done, problem solved....hell it might be advantageous for someone who accidentally scratched the display, etc.

If apple did this, people would swap it and move on. Auto companies have recalls, after people have actually died....so not a big deal in the scheme of things.

The only people who should really be complain are those who want a phone, and now have to wait a while longer.

Hey....if you your phone blows up, go play the lottery. You are one one of the roughly .0035%.

Is apple willingly replacing the iPhone 6 models with the touch screen "disease"? I'm impressed Samsung stepped up so quickly and is taking care of the problem swiftly.
Couldn't agree more....thanks for being a voice of reason! :)
[doublepost=1472832424][/doublepost]
Lol.

Seems like the biggest noise about this note 7 battery problem are from non note 7 owners.
Yeah it is that way with some fans of the competition...they want to throw dirt. But this could happen to any company. I think Samsung has been pretty quick to admit there is a fault and get a process in place to replace the phones. They have the consumer safety at the forefront.

Reactions: maxsix and Demo Kit

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
that was quick
[doublepost=1472832548][/doublepost]

I also think apple wont say anything but I would bet Samsung would if it was reversed.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 166

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
that was quick
[doublepost=1472832548][/doublepost]
I also think apple wont say anything but I would bet Samsung would if it was reversed.

Probably not...you see this is actually a serious issue. Someone could get hurt, a house could burn down, etc. Does Samsung poke fun at Apple when foxconn works killed themselves? No...because actual humans run these companies.

Did you see ford poke fun at Toyota, when brakes were failing and people died? No.

Samsung wouldn't do this, nor will Apple. Optically, it would be a PR disaster. There is more to life than internet forums, and fan-boy love/hate of particular companies.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Probably not...you see this is actually a serious issue. Someone could get hurt, a house could burn down, etc. Does Samsung poke fun at Apple when foxconn works killed themselves? No...because actual humans run these companies.

Did you see ford poke fun at Toyota, when brakes were failing and people died? No.

Samsung wouldn't do this, nor will Apple. Optically, it would be a PR disaster. There is more to life than internet forums, and fan-boy love/hate of particular companies.
I agree however having Tim, Eddie, and Phil walk out in silver flame suits carrying a generic phone would be a YouTube moment.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I got 2 Note 7's on the BOGO for almost half the price so I will keep mine. My wife really likes hers and doesn't want to switch back to the iPhone. I'm not so much in love with mine, between the lag, some other issues, and now having to worry about the battery I would have returned it if I didn't get it at half price. I'm planning on buying an iPhone 7s plus and going back and forth to see which is the lesser of 2 evils, the Note 7's lag and issues or the prehistoric OS/form factor on the iPhone. I guess the rest of 2016 and the first 3 quarters of 2017 are going to kind of suck and I've resigned myself to that.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Battery recall is nothing new since I've experienced it with Dell, Lenovo, etc. so it doesn't detract from the product as a whole. If anything it goes to show that the company stands behind its products and is proactive about issues instead of sweeping them under the rug and putting the burden of proof on the customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.