Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 180

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
Nice chess board! How long did it take you to make?

I've made a few and I'm rather comfortable with the tools and techniques, so it only took about 10 minutes for the cuts and arrangements. Glue-up and finishing takes the most time. Whole project can be done in an afternoon minus finishing, which can take a few hours or days depending on the finish.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Just posted this in the Mac Setup thread, but maybe this is a bit more appropriate.

New nightstand, 2 dead G5s and some old shelving, stained black.

attachment.php

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I've made a few and I'm rather comfortable with the tools and techniques, so it only took about 10 minutes for the cuts and arrangements. Glue-up and finishing takes the most time. Whole project can be done in an afternoon minus finishing, which can take a few hours or days depending on the finish.

Keep up the good work.

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Excellent! I'll bet you 90% of MacRumors have no idea who that is. ;)

I think 90% of the population wouldn't know, plus I spelled it wrong its a lithophane - Even my spell checker doesn't know !

edit: who, not what Ok.
Quite a bit before my time but love that 60's rock and like to do iconic figures.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I think 90% of the population wouldn't know, plus I spelled it wrong its a lithophane - Even my spell checker doesn't know !

edit: who, not what Ok.
Quite a bit before my time but love that 60's rock and like to do iconic figures.

I grew up in the 60's For me that was the best period in rock. I like the 70's as well except when disco became popular. The 80's mostly sucked, but the 90's had some great music. I won't even talk about the music made today. It will say it blows.

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
I guess you'd have to be a real old fogey to know anything about this guy !

Haven't been doing these long, this is the 2nd one I did about 4 months ago, 1st one was Marylin Monroe.
["Speckled" effect is within the corian itself, some like it some don't, I like it better than plain white].

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I guess you'd have to be a real old fogey to know anything about this guy !

Haven't been doing these long, this is the 2nd one I did about 4 months ago, 1st one was Marylin Monroe.
["Speckled" effect is within the corian itself, some like it some don't, I like it better than plain white].

I was born in 1952, so yes I certainly know who that is. I still have some of his 45's. :)

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I made the the box on the left. It's a turn on delay for my bedside Headphone setup which includes 2 Headphone Amplifiers, and a CD Player. In case of power failure, it waits 60 seconds of stable power before slowly powering up my sensitive electronics again. It actually ramps up the voltage rather than instantly applying 120 Volts. I made a few of these. Coupled with my Brickwall Surge Protectors I have on all my equipment, I'll never have a power surge/failure related electronic failure. BTW, it's in a corner of my bedroom you can't see, so being pretty doesn't matter..

Attachments

• DSC_6416.JPG
    DSC_6416.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 230

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I made the the box on the left. It's a turn on delay for my bedside Headphone setup which includes 2 Headphone Amplifiers, and a CD Player. In case of power failure, it waits 60 seconds of stable power before slowly powering up my sensitive electronics again. It actually ramps up the voltage rather than instantly applying 120 Volts. I made a few of these. Coupled with my Brickwall Surge Protectors I have on all my equipment, I'll never have a power surge/failure related electronic failure. BTW, it's in a corner of my bedroom you can't see, so being pretty doesn't matter..

If there was an electricle fire, would your insurance pay out?

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Fair enough. I'd have concerns given my abilities.

I totally get your concern. Fear not, I'm well in control of my environment. Even more so than the so called government experts here in the USA think they know. My theory is go far and beyond UL listings. This way I know I will never have have a fire hazard in my house. My bedroom circuit has a 20 amp slow blo circuit breaker, and yet I fuse my delay circuits with 2 amp FAST BLO circuit fuses. A fraction of the capacity of the wall outlet. How can anything go wrong if the worst happens???

Face Ache

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Oz
A few weeks ago I took a perfectly good iPhone 6 Plus case and (deliberately) gave it a "lived in" look.

16001237042_b2a5a6d17e_b.jpg

Takes a bit of skill to screw things up like that. :D

genshi

macrumors 6502a
My genshi.box

Well, here is something I made all by myself. Last year there was a thread about companies like Facebook selling your browsing habits to advertisers, giving out your private info to the government, etc. and I had posted my project (that would save us all from the likes of Facebook) along with a link to my crowdfunding campaign, but the Mods here deleted it claiming it was "advertisement". It wasn't, it was relevant to the discussion, and I had a solution to share...

Fast forward a year later, the crowdfunding failed because nobody "got" what it was about (even though now HP and Seagate - along with a couple of other start-ups who saw my idea - are releasing similar solutions, though without half the features my box had) and since the project is basically dead-in-the-water (well, not dead, just on hold indefinitely) I thought I'd share the photos of it here (but no links here! So it's not advertising!)

It is a "Personal Social Networking Appliance" giving the user complete control of all of their own information, but as easy to use (actually easier) than an Apple TV. Wireless, battery operated, mesh networking and so much more; this was an actual working prototype that I had made myself (I did the industrial design, did the [modified] engineering of the guts based on the Beagleboard Black platform, and did the programming of both the front-end and back-end.) I worked hard on this, so it's a shame it didn't go anywhere...

1658144_10151958423316821_515950652_o.jpg

1492197_10152036227356821_2131674126467728901_o.jpg

1836776_10152032479026821_2606816697562689941_o.jpg

1264944_10151698126366821_146963167_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: yukyuklee

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Well, here is something I made all by myself. Last year there was a thread about companies like Facebook selling your browsing habits to advertisers, giving out your private info to the government, etc. and I had posted my project (that would save us all from the likes of Facebook) along with a link to my crowdfunding campaign, but the Mods here deleted it claiming it was "advertisement". It wasn't, it was relevant to the discussion, and I had a solution to share...

Fast forward a year later, the crowdfunding failed because nobody "got" what it was about (even though now HP and Seagate - along with a couple of other start-ups who saw my idea - are releasing similar solutions, though without half the features my box had) and since the project is basically dead-in-the-water (well, not dead, just on hold indefinitely) I thought I'd share the photos of it here (but no links here! So it's not advertising!)

It is a "Personal Social Networking Appliance" giving the user complete control of all of their own information, but as easy to use (actually easier) than an Apple TV. Wireless, battery operated, mesh networking and so much more; this was an actual working prototype that I had made myself (I did the industrial design, did the [modified] engineering of the guts based on the Beagleboard Black platform, and did the programming of both the front-end and back-end.) I worked hard on this, so it's a shame it didn't go anywhere...

Shark Tank it! ;)

But in all seriousness, have you tried shopping it to larger companies? Either sell the idea/design/product as a whole or license the technology to other companies? If you couldn't get it off the ground on your own, why not try making *some* sort of return on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.