Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LTENETWORK

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2017
On that time UI was KDE 1.1. So it wasn't stable but I liked till release v4. With v3 it was heavier and requirements hungry. Last KDE5/Plasma what is correct name for this I don't know. But I tried KDE5/Plasma and it was smoother than Gnome 3.32. As I know KDE isn't available on OpenBSD. There is some nostalgia on CDE.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I have always been a KDE person... just liked it so much more than Gnome. The lightweight/super lightweight DEs were never my thing. I tried Xfce for a while, but always missed the flexibility of KDE. KDE 3.x was heavy and bloated, but was super robust and feature rich (still miss v3 some days... I wrote a SuperKaramba based monitor utility like conky I wish I could still use today). KDE 4.x was a disaster... too many features were removed and the stability was lacking. I have enjoyed what KDE did with Plasma 5. I have been super pleased with KDE neon... stable LTS base with as new as it gets KDE (Plasma, Frameworks, and Applications).

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have always been a KDE person... just liked it so much more than Gnome. The lightweight/super lightweight DEs were never my thing. I tried Xfce for a while, but always missed the flexibility of KDE. KDE 3.x was heavy and bloated, but was super robust and feature rich (still miss v3 some days... I wrote a SuperKaramba based monitor utility like conky I wish I could still use today). KDE 4.x was a disaster... too many features were removed and the stability was lacking. I have enjoyed what KDE did with Plasma 5. I have been super pleased with KDE neon... stable LTS base with as new as it gets KDE (Plasma, Frameworks, and Applications).

I legitimately liked (as opposed to "tolerated") KDE until 3.x. I started using it back in the pre-1.0 days. The step from 2.x to 3.x was (from my viewpoint) fairly small for a fairly big resource increase (from memory).

However, KDE v4.x broke so many things (including ease of use) in the name of making it mobile friendly, for what reason i have no idea.

I currently run gnome because that's the default out of the box in Fedora, and its "good enough" to do what i need to get done. I did run KDE on Fedora (from packages) until a few months ago when my KDE install broke horribly and I can't be bothered to fix it.

At the end of the day, it's used as a window manager + file manager and stays out of my way enough. Given the smallest memory capacity i use it on is 32 GB, resource consumption isn't a big deal for me.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
However, KDE v4.x broke so many things (including ease of use) in the name of making it mobile friendly, for what reason i have no idea.

Too many college students as developers or just out of it. Totally used to living on their cellphones at the time, convinced it would be the next new shinny. They always chase the new shinny in Linux. I had long discussion with one of them once on the usability or why a simple one step procedure went to three or four, "well that is what they taught us in the classes" was the answer. That was the point I do believe when I gave up on the steaming pile of dung that was kde 4.x. After more than a decade of using it since the pre 1.0 days. It has been macOS since then.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
So I missed DD'ing Linux after playing with my Mac's so I nuked my multiboot hackintosh and went back to Linux only on it. I'm not sure how long I'll keep it this way but it has been a pleasant experience running Linux only again.

Screenshot from 2020-02-20 17-29-12.png

alex cochez

Cancelled
Aug 26, 2017
It's been 20 years since I built a PC. I chose a Ryzen 2700/Geforce 1070 platform with several Noctua fans, Evolv Shift Air ITX case and a BENQ pd2500q (25", 1440p). Loving it!
Meanwhile changed to GNOME for both our Surface GO devices.

Setting up NVIDIA and Davinci Resolve was only 2 commands away.

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
yay davinci-resolve

The former installs latest NVIDIA drivers and settings menu from the AUR repository, while NOUVEAU drivers are blacklisted. It was that easy.

Now on the lookout for an affordable 24-bit USB AMP/DAC.
Screenshot from 2020-03-27 05-29-53.png
Screenshot from 2020-03-26 16-26-30.png

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm thinking about making this my main laptop. I like it a lot.
2011 11.6" Air, 64 GB SSD and 2 GB RAM.
Nice!

How well does it run in regards to speed? I assume very well since it has BSD.

I've been thinking about getting one of those older MBA's to put Linux on it.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Nice!

How well does it run in regards to speed? I assume very well since it has BSD.

I've been thinking about getting one of those older MBA's to put Linux on it.

It's quick. I'd say it's significantly faster than with macOS. I haven't done any benchmarks because I don't care for them, but it's fast enough that I don't think about performance.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's quick. I'd say it's significantly faster than with macOS. I haven't done any benchmarks because I don't care for them, but it's fast enough that I don't think about performance.
I'm not a benchmark person either. As long as it feels quick enough and I'm not annoyed by any performance issues, then I'm happy.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I'm not a benchmark person either. As long as it feels quick enough and I'm not annoyed by any performance issues, then I'm happy.

I'm the same way. I can use anything as long as I'm not annoyed by it.

The only thing I did differently on this Air than I do on my other machines is run uMatrix on Chromium with a ruleset from here:

It really helps with Chromium's performance and I will do it on my other stuff too. I also run a bunch of non-typical command line flags when starting Chromium, some of which may improve performance and some of which may make it worse.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I’ve been toying with the idea of getting some kind of PPC laptop to run Linux on it.. just not sure what would be a good one.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Latest kernel installed again. 5.7.5.

That's the best part of rolling release OS's like Arch and it's derivatives, no forklift OS upgrades.

I've been running this installation of Arch for almost a year now and I've had zero issues with it or any updates either. Some call Arch a bleeding or cutting edge OS and that it can be unstable, but my experience has been the opposite. It's been completely stable for me.

Forklift upgrades like you get with new versions of Windows, macOS and most other Linux distro's can be a pain in the ass and introduce many unexpected issues all at once. But with the rolling release model if there are problems, it should be rather easy to deduce what the problem was and fix it quickly given that the updates are frequent and small.

Screenshot_2020-06-24_17-20-24.png

Funny enough, I was trying to install a snap package on one of my Debian servers a few minutes ago and it failed with some weird error that doesn't even come up in a search. The funny part is the below video I watched yesterday about Arch vs Debian/Ubuntu and the perception of ease of use and stability.

After I listened to the video and his, rant shall we say, I thought to myself, "he's not wrong." Between the Arch repo's and the AUR, I've found every single thing I've ever needed in them and got them installed and running very easily.

Allegedly, snap packages are supposed to be easy to use, but that wasn't my experience just now and a time or two in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.