Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
2023-05-03-143830_1366x768_scrot.png

Void on a ZFS Root. It has a 13 year old budget laptop CPU and a very slow HDD.
But it is snappy and it uses less RAM than Xubuntu and Mageia + XFCE.
It is unbelievable that this kind of super recent kernel works so flawlessly on 13 year old hardware.

Last edited:

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
I’ve recently upgraded from Xubuntu 20 to Xubuntu 22.04.2 LTS on Intel Core2Duo E8400 2GB RAM
View attachment 2196915
Related to this dead thread https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...on-of-linux-is-best-for-the-imac10-1.2387283/
Void Linux + XFCE uses 365MB of RAM right after login according to neofetch. According to the same app (neofetch), Xubuntu uses more than 460MB of RAM. You should always use the same app to compare RAM usage because apps usually calculate it in a slightly different way.

Void Linux also has the fastest package manager:
It's just slightly slower than pacman here but only because it installs a different version and downloads a little more, at equal download XBPS from Void is faster than pacman. Ubuntu's APT is more than three times slower than XBPS and pacman, which makes a big difference on older systems that are slow.

Of course, runit from Void is also much faster than the slow systemd implementation of Xubuntu and other Ubuntu variants, so you can say that Ubuntu variants are the worst choices for older systems. It's best to choose systems like Devuan, Void, FreeBSD, MX Linux, Artix Linux, and mageia for older systems, because Ubuntu is super slow in all domains on older systems.

Reactions: mortlocli

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The first RAM read is with just Terminal open - 416M. The second one is with Firefox playing a 1080p YouTube video – 955M.
I really don’t care what influencers are lamenting about on YouTube. I’ll keep using Xubuntu or whatever I like at the moment.

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
The first RAM read is with just Terminal open - 416M. The second one is with Firefox playing a 1080p YouTube video – 955M.
You use the free -h command. What I'm trying to convey to you is that different commands to measure the RAM lead to different results. So there is no consensus on what is the correct methodology to measure RAM usage. You can try the three methods below.

What you're going to see is that these three will give significantly different results at any given time. If you want to compare your RAM usage with my result you should use neofetch instead of free -h.

Of course you can use whatever you want, but I'm just saying that Ubuntu is objectively one of the worst Linux systems for older (weak) hardware. I have also given three different reasons:

1. Ubuntu's package manager is one of the slowest around, much slower than XBPS and pacman.
2. Ubuntu's systemd boot init is much slower than what you'll see in systems that don't use systemd like eg Devuan, Artix Linux, Void Linux, MX Linux.
3. Ubuntu has the vision that Snaps should become the standard for their system. Snaps the slowest solution currently in existence when compared to alternatives such as AppImage, Flatpak and Nix. The installation of snaps is very slow and opening the apps is also very slow every time with the heavier apps.

If you're going to use old hardware it's still going to be a bit slower, even if you're using the fastest Linux distros. So if you use Ubuntu on old hardware you will find yourself losing time all the time, the more you use Ubuntu on old hardware the more time you lose. Maybe you hardly ever use it and then it doesn't really matter. But if you use it frequently, you simply lose a lot of time.

Reactions: mortlocli

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
Neofetch_screen.jpg

This is 2012 MBA 1.8GHz (turboboost 2.8GHz as shown above). Geekbench 5 and Neofetch lists core clocks for MaOS -machines but Turbo clocks for Linux-machines which is a bit confusing. MBA single core performance is better than cMP 5.1 with X7660 running Linux, cMP is even slower with MacOS.

Attachments

• Geekbench 5 MBA.jpg
    Geekbench 5 MBA.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reactions: iAssimilated

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Finally found the courage/time to install Void on my Zbox CI323:

IMG_0548.jpeg

I am more familiar with [Gen|Fu]ntoo, so this has been a Definite Experience ;)

An educational test-case run in preparation for getting OPNSense onto an uSFF x86...

...successfully updated to 16GB of RAM on a Braswell platform {coup}, but not really satisfied with the performance of the Realtek NICs {bummer} ;(

Still, Void is a Classy OS <smile>

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
Screenshot from 2023-10-12 00-00-40.png

I really like this Intel CPU. It has +-86% of the single-core performance of the i9-13900K.
Because I use Clear Linux it has similar performance as the i9-13900K in single-core apps like web browsers and most desktop apps.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Found MX with the Flux box window manager works better 'out of the box' for the 17 inch iMac than the xfwm4 such as seems zippier, easier to resize windows and smaller download (no LibreOffice but can be added if you need it.) But also found a Conky that has a working temperature reading.. ok - so not the GPU as Id like..but may have some pointers to get that .

Attachments

• quickshot_231021_155538.png
    quickshot_231021_155538.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 48
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.