Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Found MX with the Flux box window manager works better 'out of the box' for the 17 inch iMac than the xfwm4 such as seems zippier, easier to resize windows and smaller download (no LibreOffice but can be added if you need it.) But also found a Conky that has a working temperature reading.. ok - so not the GPU as Id like..but may have some pointers to get that .

I used Mepis on all my systems back in the day. Way before I experienced modern OS X / macOS. One the most stable OSes I have ever used! Good OS and great people!

Reactions: mortlocli

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Runs like a champ on this old hardware...

Screenshot_2023-10-22_23-42-25.png

Reactions: iAssimilated

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
Did you need to jump through any hoops to get it installed?
Well, I had to go and buy some DVD-R -disks and its no easy job anymore. ;)

Then I burned 3 versions of ready made installer ISOs from here. Didn't even try Ubuntu after considering memory matters. Then installed Lubuntu but for some reason didn't get it to boot and finally installed Mint. As usual Mint installation was super smooth. Installed quickly and without problems. Only thing was that it didn't initially see the wifi-card but after installing driver it started to work right away.

I formatted and partitioned the drive beforehand in MacOS. Made a Linux-partition, swap and small one for Grub. Then while installing Mint I manually formatted them to ext4, swap, and grub -types.

I also did install the rEFInd to make booting work smoothly.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
Well, I had to go and buy some DVD-R -disks and its no easy job anymore. ;)
Ah, how well I know this! I also had reason to buy some dual-layer discs, and they were hard to find and expensive. Fortunately, I'll probably never need any more...
Will be interested to see if you have the 'vanishing mouse cursor' problem on Mint. I haven't properly tried again yet, but think it might have been solved in the background, as it were. My only beef with Mint now is the Blueman program, which is utter garbage for BT peripherals. Other distros have no issue, so long as they don't use that particular BT manager.

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
Will be interested to see if you have the 'vanishing mouse cursor' problem on Mint.
I've installed the Mint to Macs many times and never had that problem. To me Mint has been most trouble free of all that I have tried. Not that I've had many troubles with any. Does this happen on BT and wired mouse, what about trackpad?

theoak2

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2017
I think I got them from mate-look.org. I did not use all of these, but these are the packages I downloaded:
Screenshot from 2023-11-21 12-13-57.png

• Love
Reactions: ToniCH

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
O0YgWSk.png

This is the RAM usage of OpenBSD after the PC has been up for almost two hours.
I find it quite impressive considering it is not a bare bones setup.
It is a fully functional 'desktop setup' with bspwm, Polybar, sxhkd, nitrogen, scripts and picom all running at that time.
It is also interesting how the system thinks about security. It makes the security of other systems feel primitive.

Reactions: iAssimilated

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Just curious as to why anyone would need discs to install Linux on a computer? I have used Rufus for several years to burn an image on a flash drive.

Reactions: Yael-S.

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
Just curious as to why anyone would need discs to install Linux on a computer? I have used Rufus for several years to burn an image on a flash drive.
Mainly older people do this, and mainly out of habit.
Older people also frequently burn CD and DVD content, although younger generations virtually never do this anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.