Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
From scratch roasted squash ravioli in brown butter, and sage sauce with crispy pancetta and peas.
78db739fe2481fff646d85d2ea76c666.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
10lb spiral ham for dinner tomorrow; since I will be smoking a turkey also (I hate turkey) I figured to get this done early. Smoked for ~3.5 hours with apple and cherry wood until it hit 140 degrees internal. Glazed it with a sauce I am working on and had a quick taste and its phenomenal!

View attachment 2315896
I share your dislike of turkey, but that ham looks absolutely amazing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
.. pork stew, via a tagine, earlier this week -- pork pieces were cut from a previously-frozen, boneless pork loin rib half. Calling it a 'stew', and not a 'tagine', because I just used some of my daily-used seasongs. A very flavourful and tasty result.

View attachment 2319762 View attachment 2319763 View attachment 2319765 View attachment 2319767 View attachment 2319768
That looks incredible, and I am willing to wager that it was wonderfully tasty, as well.

Actually, I've never cooked with a tagine, and am fascinated by how one might cook with them, - a stew sounds an amazing use of this gorgeous dish - and am intrigued to read (and learn) how one is not necessarily limited to the cuisine the tagine was designed for when cooking with one.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldBCguy

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I used mine
That looks incredible, and I am willing to wager that it was wonderfully tasty, as well.

Actually, I've never cooked with a tagine, and am fascinated by how one might cook with them, - a stew sounds an amazing use of this gorgeous dish - and am intrigued to read (and learn) how one is not necessarily limited to the cuisine the tagine was designed for when cooking with one.
I’ve only used mine a couple of times, to make a Gazan spicy shrimp dish, a tomato, garlic, chile, and olive oil-based sauce. It was lovely, but a bit of work.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I used mine

I’ve only used mine a couple of times, to make a Gazan spicy shrimp dish, a tomato, garlic, chile, and olive oil-based sauce. It was lovely, but a bit of work.

Ah, wow.

Thank you for sharing the link, that sounds amazing. And reads as though it is (or will be, once prepared) delicious.

Actually, one does not need to be limited by culinary ideas that confine cooking in such a dish to the cuisine from the specific region the dish is from.

A case in point: I have a paella dish (Le Creuset) and it took me an absolute age to realise that I could use it for a lot more than simply paella - it makes an amazing (and surprisingly spacious) sauté pan, for example.

That tagine looks gorgeous.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Ah, wow.

Thank you for sharing the link, that sounds amazing. And reads as though it is (or will be, once prepared) delicious.

Actually, one does not need to be limited by culinary ideas that confine cooking in such a dish to the cuisine from the specific region the dish is from.

A case in point: I have a paella dish (Le Creuset) and it took me an absolute age to realise that I could use it for a lot more than simply paella - it makes an amazing (and surprisingly spacious) sauté pan, for example.

That tagine looks gorgeous.
For sure you’re right, but I cook a lot from the region anyway, so it’s kind of nice to make the tagline a special occasion kind of thing. But now I have an induction stove, so I need to get one of those induction pans to put under the tagine next time I use it. It seems like I usually want tagine in the winter.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For sure you’re right, but I cook a lot from the region anyway, so it’s kind of nice to make the tagline a special occasion kind of thing. But now I have an induction stove, so I need to get one of those induction pans to put under the tagine next time I use it. It seems like I usually want tagine in the winter.
What sort of dishes do you cook with a tagine?

And, how does one use it - stove top, or oven?

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019

You can actually do either, or both, sometimes in the same dish! Like I said, I’ve only really used the Tagine for the Zibdiyet recipe, but I cook all kinds of things, like Mussakhan, Fattat Hummus, Maftoul, anything I can figure out. The real challenges are Kanafe, but that’s hard because it’s so hard to find the right Nabulsi cheese here, and Mansaf, which is awesome for winter, but you got to have access to bone-in lamb and Jameed, which is a tangy dried yogurt.

Stuff I want to try with a Tagine, mostly I would love to find a recipe for an almond chicken I had at a moroccan place in Southern Spain. It was amazing, yellow with saffron and turmeric, and almond slices. No dried fruit, unlike alot of Moroccan cuisine. If I could find that, I’d be a happy cook! The place we went was called “El Cul de la Leona” in Girona.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019

Ooh, this one looks good!

Or maybe this one, I don’t love the overly sweet dried fruit recipes:

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ooh, this one looks good!

Or maybe this one, I don’t love the overly sweet dried fruit recipes:
They look absolutely brilliant.

In my experience, neither redcurrant nor cranberry are too sweet - both balance the sweetness with a sort of tart flavour.

But, (any of) natural yogurt, or sour cream, or crème fraîche, or lemon or lime juice, or pomegranate molasses, (for example) should also serve to balance out any excessive sweetness.

You can actually do either, or both, sometimes in the same dish! Like I said, I’ve only really used the Tagine for the Zibdiyet recipe, but I cook all kinds of things, like Mussakhan, Fattat Hummus, Maftoul, anything I can figure out. The real challenges are Kanafe, but that’s hard because it’s so hard to find the right Nabulsi cheese here, and Mansaf, which is awesome for winter, but you got to have access to bone-in lamb and Jameed, which is a tangy dried yogurt.
Wow.

Wonderful.
Stuff I want to try with a Tagine, mostly I would love to find a recipe for an almond chicken I had at a moroccan place in Southern Spain. It was amazing, yellow with saffron and turmeric, and almond slices. No dried fruit, unlike alot of Moroccan cuisine. If I could find that, I’d be a happy cook! The place we went was called “El Cul de la Leona” in Girona.
That almond chicken sounds delicious.

In central Asia, (Russia, near the Kazakh border, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan) I have had versions of 'plov' - pilaf, that are amazing, but have never been able to - even vaguely - replicate any version of that dish at home.

Some of these recipes - in their home environment (such as plov/pilaf) take several days to prepare, which is not something that comes readily to us, and use methods we are not used to, or familiar with (open fires, wood stoves, etc).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: profcutter

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
They look absolutely brilliant.

In my experience, neither redcurrant nor cranberry are too sweet - both balance the sweetness with a sort of tart flavour.

But, natural yogurt, or sour cream, or crème fraîche, or lemon or lime juice, or pomegranate molasses, (for example) should balance out any excessive sweetness.

Wow.

Wonderful.

That almond chicken sounds delicious.

In central Asia, (Russia, near the Kazakh border, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan) I have had versions of 'plov' - pilaf, that are amazing, but have never been able to - even vaguely - replicate any version of that dish at home.

Some of these recipes - in their home environment (such as plov/pilaf) take several days to prepare, which is not something that comes readily to us, and use methods we are not used to, or familiar with (open fires, wood stoves, etc).
Funny enough, the thing that I can’t seem to crack is good Thai meals. It’s easy to make the mediocre, but there’s some formula I haven’t been able to figure out that makes curries really stand out.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Funny enough, the thing that I can’t seem to crack is good Thai meals. It’s easy to make the mediocre, but there’s some formula I haven’t been able to figure out that makes curries really stand out.
I expect heat - for, few of our stove top cookers can replicate the heat of a Thai stove-top - and specific ingredients, (Thai cuisine has some very specific ingredients), - not to mention the heat from chillies, something of an acquired taste, or palate - plus mastering the actual proportions of these ingredients to one another in the finished dish - are all areas where we will fall (far) short of the ideal.

Actually, I think that you may (that is, one may) need instruction from a local; we had a wonderful live-in Filipina carer (for my mother, who had dementia) for six years, and she kindly taught me some tweaks, and stuff.

Reactions: profcutter

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Fish sauce is usually the missing ingredient for Thai food at home. They use it very liberally in Thai cooking, and most recipes that do call for it only call for a very small amount.

When my Thai friend cooks she often uses several tablespoons per dish.

Bought a loaf of Raisin bread from the bakery, at the farmers market.

Made French toast with fresh ground cinnamon, and nutmeg with brown sugar, and Italian extra cream butter.
944d14c7ee36277402b93f504a4492ec.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Fish sauce is usually the missing ingredient for Thai food at home. They use it very liberally in Thai cooking, and most recipes that do call for it only call for a very small amount.

When my Thai friend cooks she often uses several tablespoons per dish.

Bought a loaf of Raisin bread from the bakery, at the farmers market.

Made French toast with fresh ground cinnamon, and nutmeg with brown sugar, and Italian extra cream butter.
944d14c7ee36277402b93f504a4492ec.jpg
Fish sauce, yes, and in generous quantities.

In western (French) cooking, the same applies to butter. Professional chefs are much more generous with it (which is one of the reasons that restaurant dishes taste better); recipes, on the other hand, especially online recipes, seem to be extraordinarily stingy in the amounts of butter, fish sauce and garlic that they recommend.

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
I enjoy whipping potato and assorted veggies together -- boil potato (at this time, mostly yellow potato) with whatever veggies I have on hand (like jumbo carrot, onion, turnip, gray squash, celery, and the like) -- when cooked, add some milk and a little oil (canola or olive), and with a handblender, whip them all together. We get our potato & veggies in one, and sure enjoy the resulting combinations.
Have attached photos of a recent creation.

unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I enjoy whipping potato and assorted veggies together -- boil potato (at this time, mostly yellow potato) with whatever veggies I have on hand (like jumbo carrot, onion, turnip, gray squash, celery, and the like) -- when cooked, add some milk and a little oil (canola or olive), and with a handblender, whip them all together. We get our potato & veggies in one, and sure enjoy the resulting combinations.
Have attached photos of a recent creation.

View attachment 2327921 View attachment 2327923
That looks amazing (the sausages look divine) and I would assume that it tasted delicious; serving sausages and puréed vegetables together can never go wrong.

Moreover, I would imagine that celeriac and parsnip would work well also in this sort of dish, and perhaps, sweet potato.

Reactions: oldBCguy

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Beef stew and garlic bread for dinner.
50c0b91e718e4d4218ae5e6b8d225759.jpg
That looks absolutely delicious.

How did you prepare the beef stew?

What flavourings and seasonings did you use?

What cut of beef did you use?

I used to use what is known as stewing beef in the UK - I think it goes by the name of chuck beef Across the Pond - but nowadays, prefer to use shin of beef on the bone, as it is more moist and flavoursome.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
That looks absolutely delicious.

How did you prepare the beef stew?

What flavourings and seasonings did you use?

What cut of beef did you use?

I used to use what is known as stewing beef in the UK - I think it goes by the name of chuck beef Across the Pond - but nowadays, prefer to use shin of beef on the bone, as it is more moist and flavoursome.

I loosely followed this recipe. Although I added a bit more wine, spices and some left over demi glace I had in the fridge in place of the packed au jus

It was good but I felt like it needed a hint more acidity. I will experiment with a teaspoon of red wine vinegar in my lunch bowl today.

I am excited for leftovers as stews are always best the second day.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I loosely followed this recipe. Although I added a bit more wine, spices and some left over demi glace I had in the fridge in place of the packed au jus

It was good but I felt like it needed a hint more acidity. I will experiment with a teaspoon of red wine vinegar in my lunch bowl today.

I am excited for leftovers as stews are always best the second day.
Thank you.

That reads as though it would be a very tasty stew.

Agree about leftovers, and how stews invariably taste (a lot) better on the second day when the flavours have had time to meld, marry and mingle.

For acidity, (and flavour), how about a dessertspoon (or tablespoon) of something such as redcurrant jam, or, even, at a pinch, cranberry sauce.

I use redcurrant jam (an artisan, low sugar version) when preparing Flemish Beef Carbonnades (basically, a Belgian beef stew, with beer, some brown sugar - which, I note you also may have used as it appears in the list of ingredients - and it lends a nice depth of flavour to this sort of dish, both slightly acidic, yet also slightly sweet).

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
This is a very common breakfast here in Hawaii. We have a lot of Portuguese immigrants who came here a century ago so "Portgese sausage" (similar to Linguiça) is a breakfast staple. It is served with soft scrambled eggs, and sticky rice with a dash of high quality soy sauce.

I don't eat it often, but had a craving this morning

No diet on Christmas weekend
d25489a366ce68476ea1aafb264fa3c4.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This is a very common breakfast here in Hawaii. We have a lot of Portuguese immigrants who came here a century ago so "Portgese sausage" (similar to Linguiça) is a breakfast staple. It is served with soft scrambled eggs, and sticky rice with a dash of high quality soy sauce.

I don't eat it often, but had a craving this morning

No diet on Christmas weekend
d25489a366ce68476ea1aafb264fa3c4.jpg
That looks delicious.

And such sausage needs a generous quantity of fat - for that is where the flavour lies.

Is that ketchup in the ramekin alongside?

And agreed: No diets for Christmas; it sort of defeats the purpose of the festival.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.