Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
A little filet mignon & co.

IMG_9317 copy.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Got a taste for this out of nowhere today, and decided I had to make it.

NYC Halal cart style chicken with saffron/cumin/tumeric rice, and homemade tzatziki.
d307ec7a8b9d05ee03c6c1196217e49f.jpg
Those tomatoes look absolutely amazing; they look as though they have met, mated with, and married, the sun, and are the sort of tasty tomatoes that have encountered some serious heat, and thus, developed that wonderful intense taste of true tomato that has grown where the climate allows for some heat.

Reactions: orbital~debris

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
An alternate breakfast I enjoy occasionally, a riff off something from Sam The Cooking Guy.
Tater Tot "coins" are roasted in my 6" CI pan for 20 minutes, then mexican chorizo spread on top:

Egg one.jpg

Top that with a lightly-fried egg and cheese, back under the broiler for 90 seconds:

Egg two.jpg

I usually snip some spring onion on top, but I didn't have any.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Reactions: profcutter

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Ok, well it’s pretty straightforward:
1000g flour - whatever mix you want to use, I use mostly sprouted wheat or sprouted spelt with some bread flour mixed in, sometimes Khorasan wheat too.
800g water
10g salt
I eyeball about 1/2 cup sourdough starter, so maybe 250 grams?
If you want oats or hemp or anything like that be sure to let them sit in hot water to hydrate for a few minutes, add that after the flour.

Mix by hand in large bowl. 15 mins later, mix and stretch with your hands. Wait another 15 mins, do it again.
Keep covered in the counter for 12 hours.

Once risen, dump entire contents of bowl on heavily floured counter. It’s going to be sticky and wet dough. Don’t worry.

Divide into 2 loaves. Shred 250-500 grams cheddar, queso fresco, cotija or whatever cheese you like. Also shred 2 jalapeños per loaf.

Spread cheese and jalapeño mixture over a loaf, now grab the sides and form a nice dough ball. Be sure you have lots of flour on the counter so it doesn’t stick.

Once you’re happy with the loaf, put it into a large bowl that you’ve placed a kitchen towel into and sprinkled flour on. Cover. Leave out another 15 mins. Do whole process again for the other loaf.

Place in fridge for 8-12 hours. Preheat oven to 450 eagles american (I think that’s 220 centigrade?). Put a Dutch oven in your oven with the lid on and let it get up to temp, 45 mins to an hour.

Open the Dutch oven, put the loaf in. Cover quickly and close oven. 20 minutes. Take lid off Dutch oven (use a glove! Ask my how I know!) cook another 20 mins. Remove from oven and let cool as long as your patience will allow. Do again for the other loaf, or have 2 Dutch ovens and do them at the same time!

• Love
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ok, well it’s pretty straightforward:
1000g flour - whatever mix you want to use, I use mostly sprouted wheat or sprouted spelt with some bread flour mixed in, sometimes Khorasan wheat too.
800g water
10g salt
I eyeball about 1/2 cup sourdough starter, so maybe 250 grams?
If you want oats or hemp or anything like that be sure to let them sit in hot water to hydrate for a few minutes, add that after the flour.

Mix by hand in large bowl. 15 mins later, mix and stretch with your hands. Wait another 15 mins, do it again.
Keep covered in the counter for 12 hours.

Once risen, dump entire contents of bowl on heavily floured counter. It’s going to be sticky and wet dough. Don’t worry.

Divide into 2 loaves. Shred 250-500 grams cheddar, queso fresco, cotija or whatever cheese you like. Also shred 2 jalapeños per loaf.

Spread cheese and jalapeño mixture over a loaf, now grab the sides and form a nice dough ball. Be sure you have lots of flour on the counter so it doesn’t stick.

Once you’re happy with the loaf, put it into a large bowl that you’ve placed a kitchen towel into and sprinkled flour on. Cover. Leave out another 15 mins. Do whole process again for the other loaf.

Place in fridge for 8-12 hours. Preheat oven to 450 eagles american (I think that’s 220 centigrade?). Put a Dutch oven in your oven with the lid on and let it get up to temp, 45 mins to an hour.

Open the Dutch oven, put the loaf in. Cover quickly and close oven. 20 minutes. Take lid off Dutch oven (use a glove! Ask my how I know!) cook another 20 mins. Remove from oven and let cool as long as your patience will allow. Do again for the other loaf, or have 2 Dutch ovens and do them at the same time!
Bravo.

And my grateful thanks.

That sounds absolutely brilliant, and I love your how you describe your instructions.

• Love
Reactions: profcutter

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Made chicken soup for dinner yesterday. The stock was made with leftover chicken roast meat and some bones, the day before, and left in the fridge overnight. Veggies, more chicken pieces, and spices added for the soup preparation. Boiled some store-bought (Costco) potato & cheddar cheese perogies on the side, then added them to the final heating of the soup, before it was served. Not 'the' best I have made, but it was definitely flavourful, tasty, warming, and enjoyed by the two of us.

unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I wish my Costco sold pierogis. My only option is Safeway Mrs T’s, but they only have weird flavors like broccoli cheddar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.