Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
My last wallpaper post stimulated some great conversation. I'll post another one. View attachment 1827583

What did Han do to piss off Kirk?

I agree, but I liked the bridge from the original refit before the "A" more. The Excelsior class 1701-B style was another favorite.

I can’t believe I’m getting pedantic here, but isn’t there an Enterprise bridge re-fit styling seen in The Motion Picture and the Enterprise bridge styling seen in The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock which are fundamentally different from one another in their appearance?

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
What did Han do to piss off Kirk?

I can’t believe I’m getting pedantic here, but isn’t there an Enterprise bridge re-fit styling seen in The Motion Picture and the Enterprise bridge styling seen in The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock which are fundamentally different from one another in their appearance?
Check this out. Whoever made this is awesome.

Reactions: B S Magnet

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Untitled.png

Cylons never had a chance..

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
The Constitution-class Refit is the best looking starship in the history of Trek. Fight me :D
I like them both - When I was a teen in the 90s, I was very much all about the more metallic edge of the 1701a bridge redesign and the blue & green LED panels were gorgeous - to this day they are still my favs. Star Trek 6 Undiscovered Country 1701a perfectly exemplifies these characteristics and the then new lines of Captain Sulu's Excelsior class - especially the nacelles just crushed it for me. I spent hours upon hours drawing/trying to master both 1701a's squared off nacelles and the Excelsior class's more rounded "proto Galaxy class/TNG" nacelles. The smoother, softer lines & textures of the pre A movie 1701's bridge asthetic has recently been something I have begun to appreciate more as well. It's like the perfect combination of 1701a's metallic, industrial edge and 1701d's warm board room beige, soft mauves and wood tones.

I think of all of the Enterprise designs to date, my favorites are the 1701a Constitution class and 1701b Excesior Class ships. Enterprise E Sovereign class is growing on me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Neill

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I have no real opinions of ST ship designs as there is yet to be a ship that I've really liked. That said, if I had to choose (at least an Enterprise design) I would have to say I'm partial to 1701-C, both exterior and bridge.

Additionally, and although her onscreen appearance was brief, Captain Garrett to me personified everything you want to find in a captain of the USS Enterprise.

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I have no real opinions of ST ship designs as there is yet to be a ship that I've really liked. That said, if I had to choose (at least an Enterprise design) I would have to say I'm partial to 1701-C, both exterior and bridge.

Additionally, and although her onscreen appearance was brief, Captain Garrett to me personified everything you want to find in a captain of the USS Enterprise.
Captain Garret was great. That was a fantastic TNG episode too - speaking of early examples of timeline cross over. A series surrounding Garrett and 1701-C would be legitimately cool. Loved the intermediary uniform design as well.

Eating Nemo .jpg

Always loved this classic background on my early Intels.

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Huh, you're not nearly as piratey as I imagined you to be. The only thing that has changed to me is I've gotten slower, fatter, all my hair fell out, and I dont make nearly as much money as the fortune teller told me I would.

Arrrrrgh matey! :)
I am fortunate that losing hair is not in my family's gene pool. What IS though, is that we go gray early. I had gray hair when I was 28 (1998). My wife is okay with that because she is five years older than I am and still has solid dark brown hair. :D

Other than that I match what you said, LOL.

we go gray early. I had gray hair when I was 28 (1998). My wife is okay with that because she is five years older than I am and still has solid dark brown hair. :D

This runs in my heredity, too, but it hit me earlier and more completely than to my siblings, all of whom still retain considerable original colour in their salt.

I was six when the first grey hair was found on my head. That find was treated as an amusement by my adult relatives. By 19, friends who would groom my hair would pull out so many grey hairs that I would have to ask them to stop. I went from dark brunette during my early twenties to being about 90 per cent grey by forty. I love this grey, especially as it’s paired with a complexion which doesn’t look expected for a head full of grey.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Wow. The guy on the bottom right doesn't look anything like your user image. Are you sure that's you on the bottom right? ;)

Yeah man, I don't think that's you. Did someone hyjack your account?

:D

Looks like I'll have to come clean, I do not remotely resemble the sorely missed Bill Paxton - although the posts where my hands (and their skin tone) are visible were probably a slight giveaway. :D

Possibly TL;DR...

As you might have guessed from my avatar, username and this thread, I'm definitely a fan of Aliens, Bill Paxton, James Cameron and also the work of Gustav Hasford and its celluloid adaptation by Stanley Kubrick. The Hasford inspired reference of my username is an in-joke to my time in an extremely dangerous (civilian) job where I counted down the remaining days till my notice period expired. On my final day I was overjoyed that I'd managed to get out of their alive and in one piece.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
The Hasford inspired reference of my username is an in-joke to my time in an extremely dangerous (civilian) job where I counted down the remaining days till my notice period expired. On my final day I was overjoyed that I'd managed to get out of their alive and in one piece.
With nothing to go on and based on stuff I've learned in the past as well as being raised by a former Marine, I long ago made the assumption that you had been a veteran of the war in Vietnam.

Obviously very wrong on that assumption, but not on the definition of the term it seems. :D

Incidentally…my father (having survived the war in Korea) was very unhappy with me after dragging the family to see Platoon. Of course, I also never told him that my cousin dragged me along to see Hamburger Hill.

If you are interested at all in military fiction you might look into W.E.B Griffin. A lot of historical stuff buried in his books.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
With nothing to go on and based on stuff I've learned in the past as well as being raised by a former Marine, I long ago made the assumption that you had been a veteran of the war in Vietnam.

Obviously very wrong on that assumption, but not on the definition of the term it seems. :D

There's no chance of me being a Vietnam Vet - when the complete U.S. withdrawal took place, I wasn't even born for another eight months - and that was in London. :D

Incidentally…my father (having survived the war in Korea) was very unhappy with me after dragging the family to see Platoon. Of course, I also never told him that my cousin dragged me along to see Hamburger Hill.

I've got both Hamburger Hill and Platoon on DVD and many moons ago I met Oliver Stone when he and Peter Kuznick came to London and gave a talk at the central building of my then grad school. Kuznick was surprised when I mentioned managing to watch MSNBC in order catch an interview the pair held with Chris Hayes. :)

On both sides of my family, I have an ancestor who was a veteran: one served in the West India Regiments and another fought in the First World War in the British West Indies Regiment. I'd love to carry out research regarding this part of my family history but I'd need to spend significant time in the Caribbean in order to do it properly.

If you are interested at all in military fiction you might look into W.E.B Griffin. A lot of historical stuff buried in his books.

I definitely am interested in military fiction and fact. Thanks for the tip, I'm going to check out Griffin: he looks very interesting - almost 250 books published and nearly 160 of them involving military fiction! Wow. :)

Holy cow I knew Stanley didn’t die! How you been? I had no idea you were into retro macs.

:D

I’ve been a big fan of Stanley Kubrick ever since I read A Clockwork Orange for the first time in the early 90s.

In the UK we couldn't legally watch A Clockwork Orange till Kubrick died in 1999. Which felt particularly odd on a personal level given that some of the iconic scenes were shot in the zone of London in which I reside. Funnily enough, the violence aversion therapy scene was filmed at my current university.

He famously had Warner Bros. remove the film completely from UK circulation soon after its release. This also included barring British home video releases and full TV airings of the film.

Of course, pirate copies and smuggled VHS tapes and Laserdiscs from Europe and the U.S. were available if you knew where to look and whom to ask. During the early 90s, there was a notorious incident where a British cinema defied Warner and Kubrick by screening the film. Warner Bros. took legal action at the behest of Kubrick against the cinema's owners, resulting in their financial ruin.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
There's no chance of me being a Vietnam Vet - when the complete U.S. withdrawal took place, I wasn't even born for another eight months - and that was in London. :D

I've got both Hamburger Hill and Platoon on DVD and many moons ago I met Oliver Stone when he and Peter Kuznick came to London and gave a talk at the central building of my then grad school. Kuznick was surprised when I mentioned managing to watch MSNBC in order catch an interview the pair held with Chris Hayes. :)

On both sides of my family, I have an ancestor who was a veteran: one served in the West India Regiments and another fought in the First World War in the British West Indies Regiment. I'd love to carry out research regarding this part of my family history but I'd need to spend significant time in the Caribbean in order to do it properly.

I definitely am interested in military fiction and fact. Thanks for the tip, I'm going to check out Griffin: he looks very interesting - almost 250 books published and nearly 160 of them involving military fiction! Wow. :)
I was born in 1970 so, the end of the war for me. I know of only two other family members who served (in other wars). Both of my grandfathers. My dad's dad served in the US Army at the time the Mexican Revolution occurred. He spent his time in service with the Army expedition that chased Pancho Villa around. A small fact that had my sister-in-law indignant (according to my wife) because, well, my wife is Mexican. :D

My mom's dad was in WWII, I have no idea where, but it was a short thing for him. My grandmother died (she was a worker in a munitions factory) and there was no one to care for my mother. The military discharged him. At least that is the story I was told as a kid.

As to Griffin, the Brotherhood of War is one of his most popular series. It gets a bit ridiculous in the final books, but generally Griffin is solid.

• Love

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
In the UK we couldn't legally watch A Clockwork Orange till Kubrick died in 1999. Which felt particularly odd on a personal level given that some of the iconic scenes were shot in the zone of London in which I reside. Funnily enough, the violence aversion therapy scene was filmed at my current university.

He famously had Warner Bros. remove the film completely from UK circulation soon after its release. This also included barring British home video releases and full TV airings of the film.

Of course, pirate copies and smuggled VHS tapes and Laserdiscs from Europe and the U.S. were available if you knew where to look and whom to ask. During the early 90s, there was a notorious incident where a British cinema defied Warner and Kubrick by screening the film. Warner Bros. took legal action at the behest of Kubrick against the cinema's owners, resulting in their financial ruin.

Whoa, I had no idea that it was illegal for UK folks to watch the movie. Why was that? Do you know the specifics as to why by chance? I mean many of the scenes are both risque and ultra violent so I can see how the BBC might object to it but from the post above, it sounds like Kubrick himself was keeping it from UK folks. My buddies at the time were droogs for a Halloween party in 1994 after we read that book/saw the movie. As a teenage manboy, it was tangible concept art of what uncontrolled rebellious a-moral counter culture would be but now as a gray haired adult, the movie illustrates to me the failure of the family unit to teach and hold accountable basic moral/ethical tenants that build healthy society. Anyhow, interesting revisit.

ACWO1.jpg

In celebration of a fantastic movie :)

On a side note, the sound track to that movie is also incredible if you're into that sort of custom tailored theme movie music. Definitely recommend you pick it up if you are.

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Whoa, I had no idea that it was illegal for UK folks to watch the movie. Why was that? Do you know the specifics as to why by chance? I mean many of the scenes are both risque and ultra violent so I can see how the BBC might object to it but from the post above, it sounds like Kubrick himself was keeping it from UK folks.

Mostly going from memory and heavily summarising, Kubrick had A Clockwork Orange pulled from circulation in the UK after death threats were made against himself and his family, there were reports of lunatics obtaining his address and paying visits to express their outrage at the film's content. In addition, copycat violence ensued involving idiots who committed gang-rape and murder whilst dressed up as the Droogs and reciting the soundtrack. The media had a field day in holding the film accountable for the behaviour of morons.

Kubrick contacted Warner Bros. and asked them to make the film unavailable here and they complied. It seems that we were not considered responsible and intellectual enough to appreciate the film's merits. Nobody realised for several years what had happened till it was noticed that there had been no re-screenings or telecasts.

For the rest of his life, Kubrick refused to discuss the UK prohibition - even with lead actor Malcolm McDowell, who I recall lamenting in a 1995 article that Stateside, A Clockwork Orange was celebrated and the subject of film school discussions but in the UK you had to seek out often poor quality, pirated copies. McDowell couldn't understand Kubrick's stance and had expressed hopes that he'd return it to British cinemas in 1996 for the 25th anniversary but of course this didn't happen.

When Kubrick died, the Warner Bros. UK headquarters converted the building's exterior into a tribute to the director's work and I noticed the conspicuous absence of A Clockwork Orange from the list of films he'd made for the studio. Even in his death, it couldn't be acknowledged amongst his filmography.

My buddies at the time were droogs for a Halloween party in 1994 after we read that book/saw the movie. As a teenage manboy, it was tangible concept art of what uncontrolled rebellious a-moral counter culture would be but now as a gray haired adult, the movie illustrates to me the failure of the family unit to teach and hold accountable basic moral/ethical tenants that build healthy society.

Agreed and the satire of gang culture, the violence amongst young men as a statement of machismo, along with the opportunistic behaviour of politicians who seek to exploit people and moral panics for self-serving gain remains timelessly relevant. There was a documentary that identified particular British politicians on the right and centre who'd probably support the aversion therapy as a means to make a name for themselves as law and order proponents.

Anyhow, interesting revisit.

Yes. :)

View attachment 1830069

In celebration of a fantastic movie :)

Very cool!

On a side note, the sound track to that movie is also incredible if you're into that sort of custom tailored theme movie music. Definitely recommend you pick it up if you are.

Many moons ago, I managed to find it on vinyl going cheap and immediately snapped it up. ;)

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Mostly going from memory and heavily summarising, Kubrick had A Clockwork Orange pulled from circulation in the UK after death threats were made against himself and his family, there were reports of lunatics obtaining his address and paying visits to express their outrage at the film's content. In addition, copycat violence ensued involving idiots who committed gang-rape and murder whilst dressed up as the Droogs and reciting the soundtrack. The media had a field day in holding the film accountable for the behaviour of morons.

Kubrick contacted Warner Bros. and asked them to make the film unavailable here and they complied. It seems that we were not considered responsible and intellectual enough to appreciate the film's merits. Nobody realised for several years what had happened till it was noticed that there had been no re-screenings or telecasts.

For the rest of his life, Kubrick refused to discuss the UK prohibition - even with lead actor Malcolm McDowell, who I recall lamenting in a 1995 article that Stateside, A Clockwork Orange was celebrated and the subject of film school discussions but in the UK you had to seek out often poor quality, pirated copies. McDowell couldn't understand Kubrick's stance and had expressed hopes that he'd return it to British cinemas in 1996 for the 25th anniversary but of course this didn't happen.

When Kubrick died, the Warner Bros. UK headquarters converted the building's exterior into a tribute to the director's work and I noticed the conspicuous absence of A Clockwork Orange from the list of films he'd made for the studio. Even in his death, it couldn't be acknowledged amongst his filmography.

Agreed and the satire of gang culture, the violence amongst young men as a statement of machismo, along with the opportunistic behaviour of politicians who seek to exploit people and moral panics for self-serving gain remains timelessly relevant. There was a documentary that identified particular British politicians on the right and centre who'd probably support the aversion therapy as a means to make a name for themselves as law and order proponents.

Yes. :)

Very cool!

Many moons ago, I managed to find it on vinyl going cheap and immediately snapped it up. ;)
Just wow. I had no idea that his own expression was used to attack him in that way. That is absolutely atrocious and sadly ironic that he would fall victim to the ultra violence portrayed in the story. How he was somehow responsible is insane to me. It seems that we as western society are routinely circling back on the notion that words or ideas are criminally violent and actual physical violence is nothing more than symptomatic of the offending idea or word.

Anyhoo, nice vinyl score - I have never been that lucky. My copies are on tape and CD.

Love that sound track.

It seems that we as western society are routinely circling back on the notion that words or ideas are criminally violent and actual physical violence is nothing more than symptomatic of the offending idea or word.

Physical altercations between people(s) do not erupt by chance in a social vacuum bereft of context, motive, desire, meaning, or antecedent action.

There’s ample reason why passive-aggressiveness, microaggressions, and institutionalized abuses are not imaginary concepts dreamt up as some kind of social make-work. Without carrying through with the work of root cause analysis behind why physical violences bubble to the surface, then articulating a simple condemnation of just that physical violence becomes a meaningless endeavour when the core elements driving it remain ignored and left in the dark to metastasize further.

In any case, we’re veering away from desktop backgrounds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.