Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Rather the horror.

You stop poking around when you run into other people's junk.

Yep, literally and figuratively. I just remembered purchasing a PC from a flea market donkeys years ago and regretting looking through the hard drive after encountering images of what was the presumably the former owner - and his partner posing for the camera as they performed XXX acts. I'm hardly a prude - it's just that I could've really done without viewing their quality of material.

My second eBay purchase was a 17" DLSD-HD. I've never wiped a drive so fast as that one. A week or two later the seller asked if I had perhaps retained a copy of the drive.…

NO.

This is why I now live by the warning of Dr. Zaius when it comes to files on second-hand computers.

2j1kf3.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
A friend of mine pulled a hard drive from a PC that was sitting by the dumpster. The... stuff... that was on it made him take the drive to the nearest police station.
Back in the mid-90s, one of the people I was gaming with found a dumpster full of hard drives behind a local business.

He grabbed all of them and brought them home then passed them around to the rest of his friends (some who were part of the gaming group). Turns out there was a reason all those hard drives were in the dumpster. Every last one of them was infected with the Stoner virus.

Took him and his friends a good long while to recover from the catastrophe that resulted.

Last edited:

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Huh, the only memory of this caliber that I recall was at the intersection of Craigslist blueberry imac avenue and Goat street just left of 2G1C way. Luckily for me, I was never asked for a copy of the offending drive, so away it went in place of a fresh copy of Tiger. I do think it is still worth looking at old drives because you can find really cool old software that way.

Heck who knows, maybe selling a pc with that sort of stuff on it is someones idea of a fun Friday night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Work MBP…

This is a wallpaper that came up during a 'black denim wallpaper' Google search. It's actually, blue, but I made the image grayscale so it would convert to black and white and then changed it to RGB for screen.

I searched for an image that was above 5000px wide. The intent was to cut the image in two so it appears to 'span' both Cinema Displays (much as my own MacPro wallpaper does). I actually had to size it down a bit which made me happy. Normally I have to size UP.

Anyway, the two screens…

Untitled.png Untitled 2.png

And the result…

2021-10-05 14.52.46.jpg

Work MBP…

This is a wallpaper that came up during a 'black denim wallpaper' Google search. It's actually, blue, but I made the image grayscale so it would convert to black and white and then changed it to RGB for screen.

I searched for an image that was above 5000px wide. The intent was to cut the image in two so it appears to 'span' both Cinema Displays (much as my own MacPro wallpaper does). I actually had to size it down a bit which made me happy. Normally I have to size UP.

Anyway, the two screens…

View attachment 1857639 View attachment 1857638

And the result…

View attachment 1857646

This shade and texture looks ripped right from of that one Twin Peaks episode.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I searched for an image that was above 5000px wide.
I haven't searched for black denim wallpaper, but there's a decent amount of 5120×2880 (and maybe also 5120×2160, due to these 'stupid' ultrawide monitors...) wallpapers out there. So... just some vertical cropping needed. :)

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I haven't searched for black denim wallpaper, but there's a decent amount of 5120×2880 (and maybe also 5120×2160, due to these 'stupid' ultrawide monitors...) wallpapers out there. So... just some vertical cropping needed. :)
Yeah, a lot of that seems to come up in the same searches. Some of it's really good, just not what I'm after. In this particular instance I just wanted something with a textured but dark background. In the past I have deleted important stuff off my work desktop because I drag-selected and didn't see it. And my copying the wallpaper on the MP idea has kind of stopped because I recently change the MP wallpaper.

When it comes to tracking stuff down for the main Macs though I'm usually looking for specific stuff because I intend to take it into Photoshop and manipulate it. Some of that wallpaper you mention is okay for that, but most of it has themes I'm not pursuing.

I've got a Chrome extension (added into Vivaldi) that lets you search for stuff higher than 'Large' on Google. Helps a lot with my tendency to be overspecific in my searches. :)

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I've got a Chrome extension (added into Vivaldi) that lets you search for stuff higher than 'Large' on Google.
(Until) A few years ago you could tell Google Image Search how many megapixels you wanted and locate truly humongous images. That was fun.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
(Until) A few years ago you could tell Google Image Search how many megapixels you wanted and locate truly humongous images. That was fun.
Yep, that was one of the reasons I installed this extension. Somehow it forces Google to search that way again.

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
Yep, that was one of the reasons I installed this extension. Somehow it forces Google to search that way again.
Thank you so much! Just installed it on my main machine (in Vivaldi aswell!). I've been looking for something like this from ever since Google Images removed the custom res searches. I swear DuckDuckGo ditched it soon after but then bought it back.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
STILL running my 11 year old mid-2010. On Sierra, no need to update to High Sierra with this.
Had a few hiccups, HD died about 7 years ago, Apple replaced.
Display issue very early on that was taken care of real fast by Apple.

SSD was installed a few years ago, did that through YouTube DIY video.

*I will have to take the screen off again, get inside and blow out the dust, yearly maintenance thing. Ugh..this old house and the dust, it's everywhere and it does get into the vents, fans. smh.

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 10.16.05 AM.png

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
When I am looking for wallpaper to personalize a device, I obsess until I finally run into what I either really like or want. And then, the wallpaper rules the device for a very long time.

One particular piece of art has been a favorite of mine since I found it and fooling around with Tin Eye tonight gave me options.

This is pretty much where I'm going now, I think I've either got it or am very close.

One last thing…if you've haven't tuned out (I don't blame you if you have), the character on the left (Polgara the Sorceress) has the color red behind her to match the color of the liner of her cloak. But, the character on the right (Moiraine Damodred, or Moiraine Sedai if you wish) is of the Blue Ajah. The symbol behind her is blue.

Yeah, yeah, nitpicky and nerdy I know - but fantasy has been my thing since I was a kid. :D

2021-10-18 20.22.02.jpg

And, here is a flat image of the PSD showing it laid out between all four displays.

final v8.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Haven't posted here in a while because the backgrounds keep changing. At some point I made myself think about what I really wanted and I decided that there would be one image that stretched across the four aluminum Cinema Displays and that the two verticals would hold only my writing influencers (from fantasy works). Works out pretty well now.

The HDTV background is also just one image. I decided since I put mainly music or video apps up there that the image should just be simple as it's going to be hidden most of the time. So I used a dark background.

The acrylic Cinema Display is what I had issues with. It's intended to be a monitor for my three primary windows and all my drives/servers/aliases. But I also wanted to show my primary writing influencers and the heavy influence fantasy magic has on my writing. This is the second incarnation of that (the first was awful and I didn't post it).

Primary displays:

Left wing (Polgara the Sorceress from David Eddings's books)
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 12.21.57.png

Left monitor
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 12.21.00.png

Right monitor
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 12.21.39.png

Right wing (Moiraine Damodred from Robert Jordan's books, as painted by a South American artist)
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 12.22.19.png

HDTV
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 12.22.38.png

ACD (Audrey Meadows and Amanda Blake from the Honeymooners and Gunsmoke, respectively. The mage in the center is intended to represent me, although he looks more handsome I think)
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 12.22.56.png

The background images of the trees are artwork from the band called Eldrim if anyone is interested in looking them up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.