Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Sigh. Version 4 of the background for my ACD. I now have the major elements where I want them, but the influencer pics part could be a bit better. There will be a version 5 or 6 at some point.

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 15.58.36.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
And version 8.

Much more comfortable with this. It's much less busy and repeats a motif on my main displays.

It's also including a past item I've used (the blue fire circle with magic pattern). I also added Barbara Stanwyck as my version of 'Cortana'.

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 17.15.05.png 2022-02-12 17.11.56.jpg

EDIT. Yeah, I think this is pretty much final. Except for maybe moving Audrey to the left just a bit, I can say I'm pretty much done with this.

Last edited:

TheMasterOfTech

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2021
Picture 1.png
Here's mine. It is a Early 2009 iMac With a 640GB HDD, 4GB of RAM and macOS 10.5.8, and the wallpaper I took in Sweden when I was visiting there (if you guys know how to upgrade the OS it would be very appreciated if you could tell me cuz I've got no app support at all)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
…if you guys know how to upgrade the OS it would be very appreciated if you could tell me cuz I've got no app support at all…
You can run Mojave or Catalina if you like. dosdude1 also makes patchers for High Sierra and El Capitan, which is probably the minimum you want to go. dosdude1 stopped with patches after Catalina, so if if is possible for your iMac to upgrade higher (I would not know) then there are other processes out there. The stuff dosdude1 did though is just easier.

These are patchers to enable the OS to run on your Mac. Basically, you download the patcher, plug in a USB stick (8GB or higher I believe) and have the app download the Install Mac OS X app and patch it. The patch is cloned to your USB stick so don't leave anything on the stick you do not want to lose.

You boot from the stick and install. You may end up rebooting a few times. At the end, you boot from the stick once more and then run the post-install processes. Keep in mind that what you are giving up is any regular, on a whim system updates. You have to make sure they work with the patcher. Keep the stick around in case you ever need to reinstall.

With Mojave/Catalina, if you have an SSD you're going to need to make sure it's formatted APFS before installing.

Reactions: Amethyst1

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I have a Retina MacBook Pro on 10.15. would that be of any use to get it to a newer version?
Yep. Just use the patcher to create the USB stick on the MBP running 10.15. Once the stick is created, then plug it into the iMac, reboot off the stick and away you go.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
My Late 2009 Mini. Dialed in some backgrounds.

Main display 1650x1080:

Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 2.10.23 PM copy.png

Display 2, the Toshiba HDTV:

Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 2.10.55 PM copy.png

In Finder, the Toshiba will largely be displaying two primary windows I want open side by side. So this is why the minimalism on the image. The bottom edge of the windows will stop right before that Celtic knot at the bottom.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Now that I've had some time with the Late 09 Mini and the HDTV display (Finder window layout, etc) I've made some adjustments.

Typically, I have two specific windows open on the left all the time, which leaves space on the right.

Here's the change…

MASTER L2009 Mac Mini TOSHIBA_1080P.jpg

It looks kind of cut up, but once you add the windows in you get an idea of how it's being used…

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 3.07.44 PM.png

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Updated the background for the ACD today. This is the one that holds Finder windows and isn't necessarily connected to the main panarama. I've connected it.

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 16.03.48.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Is this one of these projects that are never finished? :)
To a point.

A number of factors go in to this for me.

First, I don't usually know what I specifically want. I know what I want in general most times though. Trial and error narrows it down. Second, I have to find the art that supports or comes close to what I'm thinking about. That usually takes a while and influences the first point. Sometimes it's a very long search. Third, in relation to the first point I often have to trial and error elements of the art I find in order to narrow down what I want.

Finally, things look different outside of Photoshop and sometimes there are new influences that come up later on.

I have a unified theme/purpose in mind for at least two Macs because my time is split between them for the content I create. The theme really only matters to me, but inspiration influences creation. Anytime I spend 8-15 hours in front of a monitor I like to be inspired by the backgrounds - not bored or frustrated by them.

Once I get there though the wallpaper ceases to change. I've got a few Macs where this is the case and my iPhones. Notably my 17" PowerBook G4 has had the same desktop background since around 2014-2015.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
For once I have found a piece of art that says (to me) all I want without modification.

Turns out it's used by LG displays (TVs, monitors, etc). My problem was finding (or replicating) it without all the LG branding all over it. Tin Eye found it for me on LG's site no less.

This is on the HDTV.

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 19.31.21.jpg

Kdvl7

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2022
France
Here is the very first Mac I've ever purchased.
It is a MacBook from early 2008, stuck under Mac OS X Lion but still working perfectly.

tempImage8uaP6W.png
tempImagetoBLlr.png
tempImageAZXEER.png
tempImage2OPkXS.png
tempImagefK0gVj.png

I also possessed another white MacBook (model unibody from 2010) but I offered it to my sister.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Acrylic Cinema Display:

Maybe won't stay this way for long, but finally got a couple art elements I've been looking for and made some 'connections'.

The background here is the same one that spans all four of my Cinema Displays.

Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 14.00.55.jpg

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 10.45.31 PM.png

Please don't kill me as I am using Windows 11 wallpaper. I just love Windows 11 wallpapers.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
For once I have found a piece of art that says (to me) all I want without modification.

Turns out it's used by LG displays (TVs, monitors, etc). My problem was finding (or replicating) it without all the LG branding all over it. Tin Eye found it for me on LG's site no less.

This is on the HDTV.

View attachment 2020158
This is pretty! Where is the original you found?

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.